WillFranklin

So Who Are We Going To Support In 2020?

2 hours ago, jrock2310 said:

Keep an eye out for Gavin Newsome.

He is going to try to be governor of CA, but he's a very interesting politician. Google for interviews.

I support Hillary.   Hillary won in 2016 and the right is scared of her.   It was because Putin stole the election that she lost.   We need to fight back because she is the most qualified and best candidate we have.   Bernie is good but he just doesn't have the experience and skill Hillary does.

Bernie was the only candidate seriously willing to tackle the growing income gap and fight corruption in government.  Unfortunately, Hillary took large sums of money from Wall St. and Big Pharma.  They even threatened to cut her off if she adopted any of Bernie's economic ideas.  That was back when most people thought she was a shoo-in.

55 minutes ago, LibChan1999 said:

I support Hillary.   Hillary won in 2016 and the right is scared of her.   It was because Putin stole the election that she lost.   We need to fight back because she is the most qualified and best candidate we have.   Bernie is good but he just doesn't have the experience and skill Hillary does.

I've had this argument before, but this 'experience and skill' is misguided nonsense.

We should have kept Nixon in office, because he had a lot of experience and skill.

What matters in a president are other qualities.

And Bernie is the best candidate for president since at least Robert Kennedy.

1 minute ago, bludog said:

I would be OK with Sherrod Brown.

I think he would beat Trump. Right now I am hoping he wins his Senate seat in Ohio for another term next year. Then that shows he can win Ohio in 2020 putting that state in play.

On 6/4/2017 at 6:25 PM, WillFranklin said:

I think we need an exciting candidate to unseat Trump in 2020. Who do you think that could be? Sherrod Brown from Ohio? Joe Biden?

Trump should be vulnerable. But we might be making a mistake if we put Hillary up against him again.

I think it's great that we're talking about this now—even though they're not the majority of the country, Trump has a strong supporter base that will definitely do everything and anything (ethical or not) they can to get him reelected in 2020.

There's another issue I think we should also start addressing as well—even though liberals outnumber conservatives in the total population of the country, conservatives are more likely to vote than liberals are. What is it that prevents many liberals from voting, and what can we do to fix it?

22 minutes ago, theHeathen said:

What is it that prevents many liberals from voting, and what can we do to fix it?

That's a good question we haven't answered.

25 minutes ago, Craig234 said:

That's a good question we haven't answered.

Would this be a topic better suited for its own thread?

52 minutes ago, theHeathen said:

There's another issue I think we should also start addressing as well—even though liberals outnumber conservatives in the total population of the country, conservatives are more likely to vote than liberals are. What is it that prevents many liberals from voting, and what can we do to fix it?

The very future of our Nation hinges on this issue.  It is such a simple problem yet no one has come up with an effective solution.  If Liberals could be mobilized to vote at the same rate as Conservatives, we could end the grip of Plutocracy in less than a decade. Somehow, Liberals are resistant to voting for REAL issues they care about while Conservatives seem more passionate about manufactured wedge issues that do themselves and their families no good.

25 minutes ago, bludog said:

The very future of our Nation hinges on this issue.  It is such a simple problem yet no one has come up with an effective solution.  If Liberals could be mobilized to vote at the same rate as Conservatives, we could end the grip of Plutocracy in less than a decade. Somehow, Liberals are resistant to voting for REAL issues they care about while Conservatives seem more passionate about manufactured wedge issues that do themselves and their families no good.

Do you think it's a "my vote doesn't make a difference" mentality, or perhaps there's something more to it?

I know a lot of the voting laws enacted by GOP reps are designed to prevent those likely to vote liberal from voting, but (as far as I know) there isn't anything in place that flat out prevents liberal voters from voting.

I also remember reports of Trump supporters hanging out around polling places during the 2016 election and trying to intimidate non-Trump supporters from casting their ballots. Maybe some sort of citizen-run program to help get people to the polling place, or spreading information about how to vote by mail?

Heathen:  Overwhelming numbers of Dem voters would render the best voter-suppression efforts impotent.   Supressive laws and dirty tactics only work in close, squeaker elections, which have been the norm for awhile now.

IMO, Democratic voter apathy is rationalized in many ways, including "My vote among millions makes not difference".  "They're all a pack of liars".  "They're all the same".  And the most incredibly stupid of all ...  "Government doesn't affect my life".  And others.

But the real difference has been Republican red meat speeches about wedge issues like gun freedom, abortion and tribal solidarity against the Liberals.  And red meat is available on AM radio 24/7/365.  And then there's Fox.  They are simply more passionate about one or two issues.  And they have been distracted from what is really important ...  That they and their families have a good standard of living and their children can get a good start in life.  They are also told that hard work is the key to riches.  You can see it on NHB every day.

As a rule, Liberals don't throw red meat to the mob. Liberals tend to lie less.  And they are more inclined to stick with issues which although often vital, fail to induce the passion necessary to get out and vote ...  For some reason I can't figure out.

It's not satisfying, but there's an old saying that voters get the government they deserve, which is relevant to those who don't vote.

I think the answer includes at least four areas:

- Policies need to be attractive to voters

- The advertising/marketing of those policies and the party and the need to vote

- The media infrastructure being able for the Democrats' message to get to people and not be drowned out by the right being a lot louder

- How to fund the advertising

2 hours ago, theHeathen said:

I think it's great that we're talking about this now—even though they're not the majority of the country, Trump has a strong supporter base that will definitely do everything and anything (ethical or not) they can to get him reelected in 2020.

I think that liberals are going to be more active now and they are probably furious about Trump and the Republicans more than ever,

15 hours ago, WillFranklin said:

I think that liberals are going to be more active now and they are probably furious about Trump and the Republicans more than ever,

I think (and hope) you may be absolutely right. Trump running for reelection may be what drives liberals out to the polls in 2020. I'm just disheartened that it his candidacy wasn't enough to get them there in 2016.

I've long said that a weakness for Democrats is that they're better at 'backlash' elections. Republicans give us Great Depression, FDR wins. Republicans give us Watergate, Carter wins. Republicans give us 1992 recession, Clinton wins (with 43%). Republicans give us Great Recession and Iraq war, Obama wins. But outside of that, Democrats have a hard time.

A good example is, you had a good looking, great speaker, Pulitzer-Prize winning, nationally famous, wealthy war hero JFK beat the crooked, mobbed up Nixon by 0.1%. And that's WITH Kennedy running to the right of Nixon on the cold war. Why was that a close election? From 1968 to now, we've elected three Democrats.

1 hour ago, theHeathen said:

I think (and hope) you may be absolutely right. Trump running for reelection may be what drives liberals out to the polls in 2020. I'm just disheartened that it his candidacy wasn't enough to get them there in 2016.

Of course a lot will depend on fund raising , voter turnout, debates, and advertisement.

14 minutes ago, WillFranklin said:

Of course a lot will depend on fund raising , voter turnout, debates, and advertisement.

It seems like debates are less and less useful for most candidates.

The indoctrination of voters, mainly on the right, is so high that now we're at a point they're immune to any rational points.

They can watch a Democrat make great points attacking the Republican policies, and scream "commie!" at their TV. The candidates get a lot of scripting from campaign consultants.

Bernie just destroyed Ted Cruz in a town hall debate on the GOP budget; what good did it do? I'm glad he did, but it doesn't seem to be affecting a lot of voters.

35 minutes ago, Craig234 said:

It seems like debates are less and less useful for most candidates.

The indoctrination of voters, mainly on the right, is so high that now we're at a point they're immune to any rational points.

They can watch a Democrat make great points attacking the Republican policies, and scream "commie!" at their TV. The candidates get a lot of scripting from campaign consultants.

Bernie just destroyed Ted Cruz in a town hall debate on the GOP budget; what good did it do? I'm glad he did, but it doesn't seem to be affecting a lot of voters.

Yeah most Republicans are stuck in their ways and will NEVER change. It is the independents and swing voters we need to reach somehow. Maybe if they are worried about their health coverage.

Just now, WillFranklin said:

Yeah most Republicans are stuck in their ways and will NEVER change. It is the independents and swing voters we need to reach somehow. Maybe if they are worried about their health coverage.

Seems to me healthcare should be a leading issue for Democrats in coming elections. Everyone understands it and it exposes the Republican lies and how they want to hurt the American people.

5 minutes ago, Craig234 said:

Seems to me healthcare should be a leading issue for Democrats in coming elections. Everyone understands it and it exposes the Republican lies and how they want to hurt the American people.

People see it on the news and read about it online and are genuinely afraid of losing their coverage. Republicans should be ashamed.

23 hours ago, theHeathen said:

Really ? Most of what I read suggest that more people identify with Conservatism than Liberalism or the Center. Are there stats with links showing your claim ? Thanks.

41 minutes ago, kfbvoice said:

Really ? Most of what I read suggest that more people identify with Conservatism than Liberalism or the Center. Are there stats with links showing your claim ? Thanks.

Conservatives have an edge, 36% to 25%, but while they are holding steady the trend is for people to shift from moderate to liberal - which has increased since 17% in the 90's.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/201152/conservative-liberal-gap-continues-narrow-tuesday.aspx

This is something easy to forget.

We look back and criticize Bill Clinton, and we're not wrong, for his pro-right policies, but he was in a country with 17% 'liberals' after 12 years of Republican disaster.