WillFranklin

So Who Are We Going To Support In 2020?

I have to mostly agree with @bludog. Ohio and New Hampshire are too white to be leading indicators. We really should wait until March to find out where the primary is really going. 

That said,  the unexpected weakness in the Biden and Warren numbers may force a vote shift. Progressives may switch their vote to Sanders and moderates may switch to Buttigieg or Klobuchar. 

2 minutes ago, laton said:

Bernie leads Democrats nationwide! And can beat Donald Trump!

yes..looking good...bear in mind that an economic disaster is on the horizon..trump unjustly benefited from 2008...the u.s swinged right  and they have change nothng and it will swing left!

Biden has taken a real beating in Iowa and new Hampshire  lets see if he can fully rebound in south Carolina and Nevada, I don't think so but we'll see.

If Five was still on the forum, he’d be celebrating Klobuchar’s respectable showing in New Hampshire.

3 hours ago, fourputt said:

Biden has taken a real beating in Iowa and new Hampshire  lets see if he can fully rebound in south Carolina and Nevada, I don't think so but we'll see.

Up to now, according to the polls, South Carolina has been a Biden stronghold.  Now we will see if Biden's  recent decline has altered his position there.  Low on funds, if Biden scores badly in S.C., he may have to drop out.

I am working on North Carolina where we have a better chance at putting Bernie over the top. The black Democratic states will not yield a big margin of delegates for Biden, and there are also many other states for Bernie to trounce Biden in.

It seems some in the media are concerned about the possibility of a contested convention in Milwaukee, though I cant remember who said it but he made a good point to the fact that there will be campaign headquarters in more states than if this were a uncontested nomination and that will do nothing but help the eventual candidate since campaigning in battleground and even red states has already begun. I have already conceded that Trump is going to cheat in some way and Republicans will undoubtedly look the other way so its gonna have to be a huge turnout to unseat this disease and return to normalcy.

Good points

In addition to all kinds of cheating and undemocratic legal manipulations expected by the Trump team, there will, more than likely be foreign interference, again, on his behalf.  Considering their 2016 success, Russia will probably mount a renewed effort.  And, having observed how easy it was, other countries may join Russia to achieve their ends in the governing of the most militarily powerful nation in the world.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:16 PM, bludog said:

Good points

In addition to all kinds of cheating and undemocratic legal manipulations expected by the Trump team, there will, more than likely be foreign interference, again, on his behalf.  Considering their 2016 success, Russia will probably mount a renewed effort.  And, having observed how easy it was, other countries may join Russia to achieve their ends in the governing of the most militarily powerful nation in the world.

Yes, I agree, but it's early. The economic system is rigged and this contributes to a whole host of real problems for all Americans. We got to hold on to moving towards real solutions even in the face of knowing that no matter what, Trump must be defeated. We will all know much more in the next month or so. Until that time let's all keep the faith!

I just voted for Bernie by mail-in ballot.  Up to now, Warren was my first choice and Sanders was second.  But, at this point, I'm guessing Warren is not going to bounce back very far and I feel voting for her would be throwing my vote away.

6 minutes ago, bludog said:

I just voted for Bernie by mail-in ballot.  Up to now, Warren was my first choice and Sanders was second.  But, at this point, I'm guessing Warren is not going to bounce back very far and I feel voting for her would be throwing my vote away.

crazy, I'm thinking exactly the same thing. But I like Warren, she has studied this glut of a rigged system so well. We work to get the best outcome available, and we hope all our friends will do the same. You're right bludog, we will.

I like Bernie, always have. But it's not about one person, it's about the direction forward. There is so much possibility still. We cannot continue to waste it.

Peace!

30 minutes ago, TheOldBarn said:

But I like Warren, she has studied this glut of a rigged system so well. We work to get the best outcome available, and we hope all our friends will do the same.

Warren is very smart and adaptable.  Nonwhite voters will likely cast 40% of the total Democratic primary votes this year and Warren hasn't been especially popular with them.  I just read where Warren is hiring more people of color on her campaign staff and plan to appeal more to that demographic ...  We will see.

A word about Bloomberg: He's 78, same as Bernie.  A handicap in either case.  But Bloomberg is actually trying to buy the nomination purely through an advertising campaign, without actively participating the way every other candidate is forced to do.  That's profoundly undemocratic.  The sense of entitlement is staggering.  The other billionaire Tom Steyer has, to his credit, actively campaigned ...  Not that I support him.

By avoiding the rough and tumble of the primary fray, Bloomberg is depriving Democrats of any indication if he will have the vigor to engage in the strenuous battle of the general election.

1 hour ago, bludog said:
A word about Bloomberg: He's 78, same as Bernie.  A handicap in either case.  But Bloomberg is actually trying to buy the nomination purely through an advertising campaign, without actively participating the way every other candidate is forced to do.  That's profoundly undemocratic.  The sense of entitlement is staggering.  The other billionaire Tom Steyer has, to his credit, actively campaigned ...  Not that I support him.

By avoiding the rough and tumble of the primary fray, Bloomberg is depriving Democrats of any indication if he will have the vigor to engage in the strenuous battle of the general election.

very true. We are at the point now where we will take Bloomberg over Trump, we are worried as heck. Like I said, crazy. 

The age thing is somewhat material, but then you have Buttigieg, whom I somehow trust less that Bloomberg. I mean if you failed as a Mayor in South Bend, IN, what makes you think you can have success as the US president. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm just an old guy who for whatever reason doesn't trust someone I don't fully know. We all have this, you know, can't trust a book by its cover. Truly it has nothing to do with LGBTQ stuff, I am all for that. Maybe he just seems too smug or too pretentious, always on point, yet never talking much about the rigged system. I just feel troubled by how easy he has become popular. I'm sure I would vote for him over the Donald, but still, I'm worried by his fakeness, and perhaps how much it has so easily spread.

Peace!

15 minutes ago, TheOldBarn said:

We are at the point now where we will take Bloomberg over Trump, we are worried as heck.

Bloomberg over Trump? ...  No brainer;  It's Bloomberg, without a doubt.  Only rarely in history does the near-perfect candidate come along.  First and foremost, we need one of the good candidates who can beat the sheer corruption that is Trump.  Take your pick.

32 minutes ago, bludog said:

Bloomberg over Trump? ...  No brainer;  It's Bloomberg, without a doubt.  Only rarely in history does the near-perfect candidate come along.  First and foremost, we need one of the good candidates who can beat the sheer corruption that is Trump.  Take your pick.

I would take Bloomberg over Buttigieg, but I would also easily take Klobuchar over Bloomberg. My picks in order are:

Warren

Sanders

Klobuchar

Styer

Bloomberg

Buttigieg

I just thought about a Klobuchar / Buttigieg ticket. I'm not sure I like the way that sounds. It's a pickle phonetically which sends my esp marketing mind thinking

hell yes, but I often try my best to shut that esp marketing part of my mind off, and for all the right reasons.

Peace!

1 minute ago, TheOldBarn said:

I would take Bloomberg over Buttigieg, but I would also easily take Klobachar over Bloomberg. My picks in order are:

Warren

Sanders

Klobuchar

Styer

Bloomberg

Buttigieg

Peace!

We are in accord !

24 minutes ago, bludog said:

We are in accord !

don't get me started. Klobuchar/Buttigeig.

If you flip it, like some Marketing genius who knows little about molecular biology came up with this Omni prefix - like it's a small number, whatever comes after Omni sells, he thought because molecular terminology references really small things, you know scientific notation / Buttigeig Klobuchar - Where I can just imagine, she says maybe he's gay, and maybe I'm a woman, but we can together get the job done because we're both from the Midwest - And just thinking something like that could phonetically go viral, well, I have a problem with that. 

Silly, huh?

I still have to go with Bernie hopefully he will pick someone as his VP that is younger and be able to draw more people from the middle. 

The perfect ticket in my mind currently is a Bernie/Yang Ticket. 

What are your thoughts on this ticket? 

42 minutes ago, zkyllonen8 said:

I still have to go with Bernie hopefully he will pick someone as his VP that is younger and be able to draw more people from the middle. 

The perfect ticket in my mind currently is a Bernie/Yang Ticket. 

What are your thoughts on this ticket? 

Yang is an excellent public speaker.  As such, he would make a great spokesman for Bernie's policies.  But only if he finds it acceptable to subordinate his own views to the presidents'.  If Bernie were to choose Yang, that would probably be one of the first things discussed.

Of course my personal Dream Team would be Sanders/Warren or Warren/Sanders.  But since the VP position is to some extent symbolic, it probably wouldn't be wise alienate the right any further than necessary.  In fact, looking at it from that perspective, someone like Klobuchar might be an even better pick.

1 minute ago, bludog said:

Yang is an excellent public speaker.  As such, he would make a great spokesman for Bernie's policies.  But only if he finds it acceptable to subordinate his own views to the presidents'.  If Bernie were to choose Yang, that would probably be one of the first things discussed.

Of course my personal Dream Team would be Sanders/Warren or Warren/Sanders.  But since the VP position is to some extent symbolic, it probably wouldn't be wise alienate the right any further than necessary.  In fact, looking at it from that perspective, someone like Klobuchar might be an even better pick.

so whimpers the the dog who wishes the Bernie is more right wing and so dreams up stuff to make it so...blue-dog likes republican dogie biscuits he barks accordingly...AOC is the future...make it so captain !!!

26 minutes ago, IvanSirko said:

so whimpers the the dog who wishes the Bernie is more right wing and so dreams up stuff to make it so...blue-dog likes republican dogie biscuits he barks accordingly...AOC is the future...make it so captain !!!

Quite a stretch from what I said. 

i can see the right wing democrats trying to marry bernie off already..screw them...the time is right...the voters need a true left ticket...2020 is going to be bumpy...you want trump 2008 redux ...or a true reset...

1 minute ago, IvanSirko said:

i can see the right wing democrats trying to marry bernie off already..screw them...the time is right...the voters need a true left ticket...2020 is going to be bumpy...you want trump 2008 redux ...or a true reset...

First of all I am am for Social Democracy, Scandinavian style.  I have supported both the Sanders and Warren campaigns ... And not any Democrat right of them.   But there are practical considerations which can't be ignored if we really want change: 

Achieving a true reset will require a Democratic super-majority in both houses.  And ultimately a Democratic dominated Supreme Court.  The first two can be achieved in the near future.  The third will probably take longer.  There's not much a president Sanders can do to achieve lasting change if he is saddled with a Republican Congress. 

As I said in the post you responded to, Sanders/Warren or Warren Sanders is my dream ticket.  But a vice president does little to set policy.  If Bernie becomes president, expect an uproar from the right, disruptive as could be imagined.  That uproar could be neutered with Democrats controlling government.  And it will be much more effective if Congress is controlled by Republicans leaving Bernie with just the veto and executive orders.