WillFranklin

So Who Are We Going To Support In 2020?

2 hours ago, WillFranklin said:

Too bad we would lose the Ohio Senate seat if Sherrod Brown won the  Presidency.

Then he should probably stay, Senate seats are so obviously slanted towards conservatives we really can't afford to forfeit even 1. 2020 is on the same cycle as 2008 when we crushed the repubs and had significant majorities in both houses including the WH it would be a shame to see what happened to Ted Kennedy's  seat happen to Brown.

14 hours ago, fourputt said:

Then he should probably stay, Senate seats are so obviously slanted towards conservatives we really can't afford to forfeit even 1. 2020 is on the same cycle as 2008 when we crushed the repubs and had significant majorities in both houses including the WH it would be a shame to see what happened to Ted Kennedy's  seat happen to Brown.

I really had hoped Brown could win.

1 hour ago, WillFranklin said:

I really had hoped Brown could win.

Hard to say and it's more than early in the process, I like Brown but the early indications seem to favor a minority woman, Kamala Harris seems to have momentum right now.

3 hours ago, fourputt said:

Hard to say and it's more than early in the process, I like Brown but the early indications seem to favor a minority woman, Kamala Harris seems to have momentum right now.

Biden leads in the polls. Then Sanders.

Brown is in there but in the single digits right now.

22 hours ago, fourputt said:

I doubt Harris popularity will last.  Unlike Obama, her credentials are as a top cop.  And the press is revealing her tenure as attorney general to have been regressive and harsh toward blacks. 

-snip-

Earlier this month, The Atlantic, The New York Times, and The Intercept all ran articles criticizing her “regressive” leadership as California’s attorney general, her truancy policies that criminalized minority families, and her tough prosecutions of drug-related offenses. Moreover, the press has fueled the steady stream of social-media posts centered around the notion that “Kamala Harris is a cop.”

And Harris is being hammered on social media:

For months, black Twitter has dragged “Copmala Harris.” There are tweets of videos from A&E’s Beyond Scared Straight captioned “Kamala Harris visiting the black and brown folk she threw in prison”; tweets imagining Harris locking black people up while bopping to “Another One Bites the Dust”; tweets casting Kamala as your evil prosecutor auntie who sends your brother to the pen; tweets envisioning Kamala as Instagram celebrity @iamperez in shades and head wrap telling black people “Y’ALL ARE GOING TO JAIL. PERIOD!”

-snip-

https://www.thenation.com/article/black-culture-wont-save-kamala-harris/

18 hours ago, bludog said:

I doubt Harris popularity will last.  Unlike Obama, her credentials are as a top cop.  And the press is revealing her tenure as attorney general to have been regressive and harsh toward blacks. 

And Harris is being hammered on social media:

https://www.thenation.com/article/black-culture-wont-save-kamala-harris/

Is it time to cross her off?

I'm pulling for Warren all day long until the primary ends.  And all of the candidates need to address the campaign financing problem up front.  I'd really rather they eschewed the donations of the biggest corrupting influences in D.C., the drug companies, Wall Street, banks, defense industries, and huge contractors like CGI.

8 hours ago, splunch said:

I'm pulling for Warren all day long until the primary ends.  And all of the candidates need to address the campaign financing problem up front.  I'd really rather they eschewed the donations of the biggest corrupting influences in D.C., the drug companies, Wall Street, banks, defense industries, and huge contractors like CGI.

I like Warren too... she desperately needs to chill out, but she has a lot of sincerity and integrity, and I think she would be an amazing president.

I am not sure that she could win an election however... she sort of has a similar problem to Hillary-- smart, overachiever, workaholic... who doesn't know how to have fun.

9 hours ago, Toldya said:

I like Warren too... she desperately needs to chill out, but she has a lot of sincerity and integrity, and I think she would be an amazing president.

I am not sure that she could win an election however... she sort of has a similar problem to Hillary-- smart, overachiever, workaholic... who doesn't know how to have fun.

99% of people thought Trump couldn't win an election when he started.  And he's an utter lunatic.  So I'm going to support Warren's record of consistency and smarts until she loses, whether that's in the primary or the general election.  I'm not going to vote the way America has been voting.  She can win the election if we vote for her.  If we don't vote for her because we're told she can't win, then of course she can't win.  

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/what-is-electability-774196/

I like her.  I agree with her.  I trust her to be honest and decent.  So I will support her.

2 minutes ago, splunch said:

99% of people thought Trump couldn't win an election when he started.  And he's an utter lunatic.  So I'm going to support Warren's record of consistency and smarts until she loses, whether that's in the primary or the general election.  I'm not going to vote the way America has been voting.  She can win the election if we vote for her.  If we don't vote for her because we're told she can't win, then of course she can't win.  

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/what-is-electability-774196/

I like her.  I agree with her.  I trust her to be honest and decent.  So I will support her.

i think it wise for the Democrats and the country to seek a lady candidate. Trump has made women very politically motivated and I. am guessing that women who do not generally vote will come out in droves next election.,

1 minute ago, IvanSirko said:

i think it wise for the Democrats and the country to seek a lady candidate. Trump has made women very politically motivated and I. am guessing that women who do not generally vote will come out in droves next election.,

As long as she's high-powered.  The media and/or the party could short-circuit a female by "playing the female card" too strongly.  As long as she's strong and principled and serious, Trump will embarrass himself sufficiently.  The "female card", as it were, will play itself because he cannot help himself.  The hyper-PC "call-out culture" is starting to eat itself.  It's gone too far.  Warren, or whatever female candidate, should beat Trump because she's clearly a far superior person and would be better at everything a President has to do than Trump.  I think without the militant hyper-PC types, we had already moved a good bit towards greater tolerance and civility, and we can elect a woman.  If the election turns into a crusade to prove that, it could backfire.  I'm not sure I'm expressing myself very well here...

On 2/1/2019 at 10:11 AM, splunch said:

As long as she's high-powered.  The media and/or the party could short-circuit a female by "playing the female card" too strongly.  As long as she's strong and principled and serious, Trump will embarrass himself sufficiently.  The "female card", as it were, will play itself because he cannot help himself.  The hyper-PC "call-out culture" is starting to eat itself.  It's gone too far.  Warren, or whatever female candidate, should beat Trump because she's clearly a far superior person and would be better at everything a President has to do than Trump.  I think without the militant hyper-PC types, we had already moved a good bit towards greater tolerance and civility, and we can elect a woman.  If the election turns into a crusade to prove that, it could backfire.  I'm not sure I'm expressing myself very well here...

Polls are showing Biden or Sanders trouncing Trump in Michigan while it is a close race between Trump and Warren there.

I am waiting to find out what all the candidates resolutely stand for. I truly believe we need a true progressive with big ideas that will shake up this country and move it forward. I think Americans are tired of being fooled. Sanders is old but otherwise I believe in his ideas and I only wish he could explain them better. Single payer is the way to go regarding healthcare. 

Sanders and Warren have already sponsored a bill and studies that make sense have already been done. 

Here is a good straightforward paper from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. The PDF report is long but easy to read through. I would encourage anyone to down load it. It talks about the cost with our current system compared to the cost of single payer. The transitional cost, the system taking in millions of people who currently have no healthcare and how that would affect the supply, as well as taking care of private healthcare insurance workers who will be out of a job. 

https://www.peri.umass.edu/publication/item/996-economic-analysis-of-the-healthy-california-single-payer-health-care-proposal-sb-562

On 2/2/2019 at 11:40 AM, WillFranklin said:

Polls are showing Biden or Sanders trouncing Trump in Michigan while it is a close race between Trump and Warren there.

Bottom line is whoever's the candidate they have to campaign in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania like they're battleground states in 2020, they cant leave even the smallest of cracks that that snake could slither through, 4 more years of Trump could be more damage than this country can recover from.

1 hour ago, fourputt said:

Bottom line is whoever's the candidate they have to campaign in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania like they're battleground states in 2020, they cant leave even the smallest of cracks that that snake could slither through, 4 more years of Trump could be more damage than this country can recover from.

Yes, the Democratic nominee can not make the same mistakes Hillary made.

I was impressed with Sen Sanders performance on the CNN townhall last night. If anything, he seems to be more prepared for debate, and campaigning than 4 years ago. Compared to the other Democratic candidates, he knows the issues, and how to clearly state his positions on them. (It's almost like he's done this before :).
Here are some quotes on a wide variety of issues:

Health Care (and how you gonna pay for that?):

• “Health care is a right. Making sure our kids get a higher education is a right,”
  • “Wolf is going to ask me in three minutes, how are we going to pay for that? We are going to pay for that by a tax on Wall Street speculation.”
  • “The United States is the only major country on Earth not to guarantee health care to all people…” Sanders said. “I believe health care is a human right, not a privilege… If we’re going to do that in a cost-effective way … is a Medicare For All single payer program. That’s what I believe and that’s what I will fight for.”
  • "The skyrocketing cost of prescription drugs can only be contained when millions of people around the country rise up and say “I will not allow you to kill my wife, my kids” by jacking up the price of medication, the senator explained. You can’t beat big Pharma in Washington D.C., because they own the Congress and that’s a fact.”

Wealth Inequality (and how you gonna pay for that?) :

• “Am I going to demand that the wealthy and large corporations start paying their fair share of taxes? Damn right I will. And, let me give you an example where I will get the money. Amazon, owned by the wealthiest guy in the world made $5B last year in profits.”

“Anybody know how much [Amazon] paid in taxes?”

“Zero?” the town hall crowd collectively guessed.

“That’s right.”

Climate Change:

• "This, to me, is an existential crisis that impacts not just you and me and our generation but our kids and our grandchildren, and we must accept the moral responsibility of leaving these kids, future generations, a planet that is healthy and habitable,"
  • "It is really a disgrace and an embarrassment that we have a President who rejects science, who does not even understand that climate change is real and caused by human activity, who does not understand what this planet will look like in years to come if we do not go forward boldly and transform our energy system away from fossil fuel."
  • The senator said that a couple of years ago he was asked what the major national security issue facing the US was, and "I said climate change, and people laughed. Wasn't that funny? Well, people are not laughing now."
    “We are going to have to not only take on Trump and his deniers, but we’re going to have to take on the power of the fossil fuel industry,”

Foreign Policy:

• "I am old enough to remember the war in Vietnam. And I was as active as a I could, trying to keep the United States from going to war in Iraq, I was in the Congress at that point. And I am very fearful of the United States continuing to do what it has done in the past. As you know, or as you may know, the United States overthrew a democratically elected government in Chile, and in Brazil, and in Guatemala, and in other countries around the world. So as someone who fervently believes in human right and democracy, we have got to do everything we can. But I think sometimes you have unintended consequences when a powerful nation goes in and tells people who their government will be. My view is that whether it is Saudi Arabia, which is a despotic regime, or Venezuela, I think we have got to do everything we can to create a democratic climate. But I do not believe in U.S. military intervention in those countries."
  • “My view is that whether it is Saudi Arabia, which is a despotic regime, or whether it is Venezuela, I think we’ve got to do everything we can to create a democratic climate, but I do not believe in US military intervention in those countries.”

Trump Voters:

• "We are going to talk to those people, and we are going to expose Trump for the liar and fraud that he is. Trump told working people that he was gonna be on their side. He is not on their side and his record proves that quite clearly. He is on the side of the billionaire class. We're gonna make that very clear. I think by the end of this campaign, I suspect that a number of people who voted for Donald Trump will understand that he is not their friend and that the agenda that we have, which is prepared to take on the billionaire class, is the agenda they will support. "

2 hours ago, ExPDXer said:

I was impressed with Sen Sanders performance on the CNN townhall last night. If anything, he seems to be more prepared for debate, and campaigning than 4 years ago. Compared to the other Democratic candidates, he knows the issues, and how to clearly state his positions on them. (It's almost like he's done this before :).

Bernie delivered a stellar performance.  This is a great way to kick off his run.

1 hour ago, bludog said:

Bernie delivered a stellar performance.  This is a great way to kick off his run.

He talked about how a nation is not defined by how many billionaires and nuclear weapons it has, but by how it takes care of its most vulnerable, the elderly, veterans, the sick, the poor.

Sherrod Brown is out of the Presidential race but will remain active in the Senate and will run for Senate again.

On 3/14/2019 at 10:09 AM, fourputt said:

I would bet on Beto being on the final ticket as either Pres or VP

Waiting to see what Biden is doing.

There are so many things lined up AGAINST a progressive victory, I am even more skeptical than ever.

The "conservatives" and many "liberals" seem to accept that the Main Stream Media is "liberally" biased.

The CORPORATE OWNED MSM needs to report sensationalism to get attention, to sell advertising to other CORPORATIONS.

That is why Trump received so much attention, leading to his victory.

That is why AOC receives so much attention, like a kid, basking in all the attention.

Even though some individual reporters may despise the lies of "conservatism", their stories are still going to be selectively reported by an editor whose main responsibility is to make money for the CORPORATE OWNED MSM.

I believe that genuine Liberals need to understand that they need to be skeptical.

One of the worst examples that I saw,

right on tv,

in my living room, was;

The two senators from Illinois, right on the film clip, said; "replace ICE".

Less than 30 seconds later, the CBS reporter stated that they had said; "eliminate ICE".

Hitler and the Nazis employed propaganda ministers, to insure that the citizens were lied to officially.

Did I witness an official corporate management deception?

4 hours ago, peter45 said:

There are so many things lined up AGAINST a progressive victory, I am even more skeptical than ever.

The "conservatives" and many "liberals" seem to accept that the Main Stream Media is "liberally" biased.

The CORPORATE OWNED MSM needs to report sensationalism to get attention, to sell advertising to other CORPORATIONS.

That is why Trump received so much attention, leading to his victory.

That is why AOC receives so much attention, like a kid, basking in all the attention.

Even though some individual reporters may despise the lies of "conservatism", their stories are still going to be selectively reported by an editor whose main responsibility is to make money for the CORPORATE OWNED MSM.

I believe that genuine Liberals need to understand that they need to be skeptical.

In 2016, the complacency of the democratic party was punished by a horrifying outcome:  When we woke up on Nov 9, Trump was president.  This time around, we need to fight tooth and nail to prevent a replay of the same horror film.  The other side will employ their vast wealth and every single dirty trick to stay in power.  They will start by smearing the name of any candidate who happens to be the democratic primary front runner, at the time.  Doesn't matter who it is.  Truth will be the first casualty.

I am happy to say, I haven't seen or read of ANY democrat who is taking 2020 lightly.  All see Trump as a deadly serious threat.  This will be the fight of our lives.