WillFranklin

So Who Are We Going To Support In 2020?

19 hours ago, Cecelia said:

What does Biden offer that the other candidates don't?

8 years experience as Vice President.

And a very long legislative career.

2 hours ago, WillFranklin said:

8 years experience as Vice President.

And a very long legislative career.

And a demonstrated inability to win presidential primaries.

When candidates start running out of money and dropping out if the race, we'll see support coalescing. There'll be about 5 candidates left, probably Biden and Bernie among them. Then we'll see whether support coalesces around a young upstart or around one of the aged contenders.

I'd prefer Buttigieg, Harris or Booker to be the nominee over any septuagenarian. (Which Warren will also be, in less than a month.)

Agree with the entire post  laripu   ^   ^   ^

it is an unpleasant reality that people past 70, even though in apparently robust health,  are at steeply increased risk of sudden mental and/or physical deterioration.  It happened to Reagan, while in office.   We need a president who has a strong chance of being able to function at peak effectiveness for eight years.    And secondarily, if the sharks smell blood in the water, they morph into feeding frenzy mode.   So, although I'm enthusiastic about the policies of Bernie and/or Warren, I have misgivings about their advanced ages.  Especially Bernie. 

Joe Biden is 76 and has shown marked right wing tendencies, having ardently supported republican rep Fred Upton for reelection, in January of this year.  He has also demonstrated an inclination to make costly gaffs.  And already he has been touched by minor scandal which would undoubtedly get exaggerated out of all proportion, should he become the late front-runner.

The more I see and read about Buttigieg the more I support him.  Personally, I couldn't care less about his sexual orientation but it's, nevertheless, a factor that must be seriously taken into account given the makeup of the electorate.  I could also support, Harris or Booker, even though neither is as progressive as I would prefer.

Can we move left one step at the time? It may be the only way. There are still lots of idiots voting. Overreach will sink liberals. I don't know why. Our ideas are popular.

4 minutes ago, WillFranklin said:

Can we move left one step at the time? It may be the only way. There are still lots of idiots voting. Overreach will sink liberals. I don't know why. Our ideas are popular.

Not saying you're wrong;  But this idea of winning by running to the center, is not set in stone.  In fact, many democrats strongly believe in the opposite approach:---  If our ideas are popular, advancing them to the utmost is the best way to win.  It is just as likely that, when voters are faced with a choice between republican-lite and the real thing, they will vote for the genuine article.

If much of the voting public, harbors a deep-down desire for a strong, inclusive, social safety net, a resurgence of labor unions, and universal health care, might they not be repulsed by a democratic candidate who has no intention of delivering those heartfelt yearnings?   Absent a REAL democratic candidate, many of these people will vote for the republican who, at least, will keep minorities down, protect gun rights, and support the repeal of Roe V Wade.

Beyond that, our chances diminish unless we field a candidate who has personal appeal over a wide range of American subcultures.

2 hours ago, bludog said:

Not saying you're wrong;  But this idea of winning by running to the center, is not set in stone.  In fact, many democrats strongly believe in the opposite approach:---  If our ideas are popular, advancing them to the utmost is the best way to win.  It is just as likely that, when voters are faced with a choice between republican-lite and the real thing, they will vote for the genuine article.

If much of the voting public, harbors a deep-down desire for a strong, inclusive, social safety net, a resurgence of labor unions, and universal health care, might they not be repulsed by a democratic candidate who has no intention of delivering those heartfelt yearnings?   Absent a REAL democratic candidate, many of these people will vote for the republican who, at least, will keep minorities down, protect gun rights, and support the repeal of Roe V Wade.

Beyond that, our chances diminish unless we field a candidate who has personal appeal over a wide range of American subcultures.

Does it bother you that somehow we lost the Midwest last cycle?

31 minutes ago, WillFranklin said:

Does it bother you that somehow we lost the Midwest last cycle?

How so?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/democrats-show-signs-life-rust-belt-midwest-states-gave-trump-n933786

Democrats show signs of life in the Rust Belt, Midwest states that gave Trump Electoral College Win

What midterm outcomes in U.S. Senate contests and mixed results in statehouse races say about the 2020 presidential race.

WASHINGTON — Democrats made gains and held critical seats in the Midwestern and Rust Belt states that Donald Trump flipped in 2016, raising hopes that the party can still compete in 2020 and beyond.

Democratic senators in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin won, all states that were pivotal to Trump's Electoral College victory. Both of Minnesota's senators also easily prevailed, despite Trump's close 2016 margin in the state.

<snip>

Not saying it was all a bed of roses:

But Republicans won two key governor's races, in Iowa and Ohio, and there were signs below the surface that some changes Trump had wrought are here to stay.

<snip>

But overall, the 2020 outlook in the Rust Belt is far from gloomy .

4 minutes ago, bludog said:

How so?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/democrats-show-signs-life-rust-belt-midwest-states-gave-trump-n933786

Not saying it was all a bed of roses:

But overall, the 2020 outlook in the Rust Belt is far from gloomy .

I was not clear. I meant 2016. I meant last Presidential cycle.

Yes it is an improving situation. I had supported Sherrod Brown for President for that reason. I also support Biden for that reason.

2 minutes ago, WillFranklin said:

I was not clear. I meant 2016. I meant last Presidential cycle.

Yes it is an improving situation. I had supported Sherrod Brown for President for that reason. I also support Biden for that reason.

As you say now, the situation for the democratic party is improving with strong signs of weakening Trump support, in the Rust Belt.  Why is that a reason to support Biden?  I will support Biden only if and when he is eventually chosen as our candidate ... Of which I am skeptical to say the least.  Meanwhile, I support, in order, Pete Buttegieg,  Elizabeth Warren, and Bernie Sanders.  Buttegieg is first because he has a combination of progressive ideology, youth and personal appeal.

3 hours ago, bludog said:

Or to say the same thing another way: if you don't have the courage if your convictions, don't expect anyone to stand with you.

If we have convictions that we want to live in a world that is cleaner, safer, egalitarian, and more equitable to all, then we must proclaim that. If we're not strongly for our beliefs, then who will be?

Experience is only of any value when all other things are equal.  Other things, however, are not equal.  Biden doesn't support medicare for all, he doesn't support eliminating student debt or restricting credit card debt.  He likes working with Republicans and doesn't think that Mitch McConnell is a problem.  Just Trump.  (Addison the Turtle is actually worse than Trump).  When other things aren't equal, experience is meaningless.  I don't think most voters care much about experience in the first place.  Barack Obama's 'lack of experience' didn't hurt him, and (sadly) neither did Trump's.  

Trump vs. Biden will feel like establishment vs. outsider part 2.

Then our only hope will be if people feel like returning to business as usual is preferable to madness.

I don't think either option is particularly appealing, meaning a lot of people will probably just stay home... and that's bad.

If Biden wins, I will be relieved but also feel kinda defeated.