WillFranklin

So Who Are We Going To Support In 2020?

2 hours ago, WillFranklin said:

Too bad we would lose the Ohio Senate seat if Sherrod Brown won the  Presidency.

Then he should probably stay, Senate seats are so obviously slanted towards conservatives we really can't afford to forfeit even 1. 2020 is on the same cycle as 2008 when we crushed the repubs and had significant majorities in both houses including the WH it would be a shame to see what happened to Ted Kennedy's  seat happen to Brown.

14 hours ago, fourputt said:

Then he should probably stay, Senate seats are so obviously slanted towards conservatives we really can't afford to forfeit even 1. 2020 is on the same cycle as 2008 when we crushed the repubs and had significant majorities in both houses including the WH it would be a shame to see what happened to Ted Kennedy's  seat happen to Brown.

I really had hoped Brown could win.

1 hour ago, WillFranklin said:

I really had hoped Brown could win.

Hard to say and it's more than early in the process, I like Brown but the early indications seem to favor a minority woman, Kamala Harris seems to have momentum right now.

3 hours ago, fourputt said:

Hard to say and it's more than early in the process, I like Brown but the early indications seem to favor a minority woman, Kamala Harris seems to have momentum right now.

Biden leads in the polls. Then Sanders.

Brown is in there but in the single digits right now.

22 hours ago, fourputt said:

I doubt Harris popularity will last.  Unlike Obama, her credentials are as a top cop.  And the press is revealing her tenure as attorney general to have been regressive and harsh toward blacks. 

-snip-

Earlier this month, The Atlantic, The New York Times, and The Intercept all ran articles criticizing her “regressive” leadership as California’s attorney general, her truancy policies that criminalized minority families, and her tough prosecutions of drug-related offenses. Moreover, the press has fueled the steady stream of social-media posts centered around the notion that “Kamala Harris is a cop.”

And Harris is being hammered on social media:

For months, black Twitter has dragged “Copmala Harris.” There are tweets of videos from A&E’s Beyond Scared Straight captioned “Kamala Harris visiting the black and brown folk she threw in prison”; tweets imagining Harris locking black people up while bopping to “Another One Bites the Dust”; tweets casting Kamala as your evil prosecutor auntie who sends your brother to the pen; tweets envisioning Kamala as Instagram celebrity @iamperez in shades and head wrap telling black people “Y’ALL ARE GOING TO JAIL. PERIOD!”

-snip-

https://www.thenation.com/article/black-culture-wont-save-kamala-harris/

18 hours ago, bludog said:

I doubt Harris popularity will last.  Unlike Obama, her credentials are as a top cop.  And the press is revealing her tenure as attorney general to have been regressive and harsh toward blacks. 

And Harris is being hammered on social media:

https://www.thenation.com/article/black-culture-wont-save-kamala-harris/

Is it time to cross her off?

I'm pulling for Warren all day long until the primary ends.  And all of the candidates need to address the campaign financing problem up front.  I'd really rather they eschewed the donations of the biggest corrupting influences in D.C., the drug companies, Wall Street, banks, defense industries, and huge contractors like CGI.

8 hours ago, splunch said:

I'm pulling for Warren all day long until the primary ends.  And all of the candidates need to address the campaign financing problem up front.  I'd really rather they eschewed the donations of the biggest corrupting influences in D.C., the drug companies, Wall Street, banks, defense industries, and huge contractors like CGI.

I like Warren too... she desperately needs to chill out, but she has a lot of sincerity and integrity, and I think she would be an amazing president.

I am not sure that she could win an election however... she sort of has a similar problem to Hillary-- smart, overachiever, workaholic... who doesn't know how to have fun.

9 hours ago, Toldya said:

I like Warren too... she desperately needs to chill out, but she has a lot of sincerity and integrity, and I think she would be an amazing president.

I am not sure that she could win an election however... she sort of has a similar problem to Hillary-- smart, overachiever, workaholic... who doesn't know how to have fun.

99% of people thought Trump couldn't win an election when he started.  And he's an utter lunatic.  So I'm going to support Warren's record of consistency and smarts until she loses, whether that's in the primary or the general election.  I'm not going to vote the way America has been voting.  She can win the election if we vote for her.  If we don't vote for her because we're told she can't win, then of course she can't win.  

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/what-is-electability-774196/

I like her.  I agree with her.  I trust her to be honest and decent.  So I will support her.

2 minutes ago, splunch said:

99% of people thought Trump couldn't win an election when he started.  And he's an utter lunatic.  So I'm going to support Warren's record of consistency and smarts until she loses, whether that's in the primary or the general election.  I'm not going to vote the way America has been voting.  She can win the election if we vote for her.  If we don't vote for her because we're told she can't win, then of course she can't win.  

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/what-is-electability-774196/

I like her.  I agree with her.  I trust her to be honest and decent.  So I will support her.

i think it wise for the Democrats and the country to seek a lady candidate. Trump has made women very politically motivated and I. am guessing that women who do not generally vote will come out in droves next election.,

1 minute ago, IvanSirko said:

i think it wise for the Democrats and the country to seek a lady candidate. Trump has made women very politically motivated and I. am guessing that women who do not generally vote will come out in droves next election.,

As long as she's high-powered.  The media and/or the party could short-circuit a female by "playing the female card" too strongly.  As long as she's strong and principled and serious, Trump will embarrass himself sufficiently.  The "female card", as it were, will play itself because he cannot help himself.  The hyper-PC "call-out culture" is starting to eat itself.  It's gone too far.  Warren, or whatever female candidate, should beat Trump because she's clearly a far superior person and would be better at everything a President has to do than Trump.  I think without the militant hyper-PC types, we had already moved a good bit towards greater tolerance and civility, and we can elect a woman.  If the election turns into a crusade to prove that, it could backfire.  I'm not sure I'm expressing myself very well here...

On 2/1/2019 at 10:11 AM, splunch said:

As long as she's high-powered.  The media and/or the party could short-circuit a female by "playing the female card" too strongly.  As long as she's strong and principled and serious, Trump will embarrass himself sufficiently.  The "female card", as it were, will play itself because he cannot help himself.  The hyper-PC "call-out culture" is starting to eat itself.  It's gone too far.  Warren, or whatever female candidate, should beat Trump because she's clearly a far superior person and would be better at everything a President has to do than Trump.  I think without the militant hyper-PC types, we had already moved a good bit towards greater tolerance and civility, and we can elect a woman.  If the election turns into a crusade to prove that, it could backfire.  I'm not sure I'm expressing myself very well here...

Polls are showing Biden or Sanders trouncing Trump in Michigan while it is a close race between Trump and Warren there.

I am waiting to find out what all the candidates resolutely stand for. I truly believe we need a true progressive with big ideas that will shake up this country and move it forward. I think Americans are tired of being fooled. Sanders is old but otherwise I believe in his ideas and I only wish he could explain them better. Single payer is the way to go regarding healthcare. 

Sanders and Warren have already sponsored a bill and studies that make sense have already been done. 

Here is a good straightforward paper from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. The PDF report is long but easy to read through. I would encourage anyone to down load it. It talks about the cost with our current system compared to the cost of single payer. The transitional cost, the system taking in millions of people who currently have no healthcare and how that would affect the supply, as well as taking care of private healthcare insurance workers who will be out of a job. 

https://www.peri.umass.edu/publication/item/996-economic-analysis-of-the-healthy-california-single-payer-health-care-proposal-sb-562