WillFranklin

So Who Are We Going To Support In 2020?

I think we need an exciting candidate to unseat Trump in 2020. Who do you think that could be? Sherrod Brown from Ohio? Joe Biden?

Trump should be vulnerable. But we might be making a mistake if we put Hillary up against him again.

I think we need an exciting candidate to unseat Trump in 2020. Who do you think that could be? Sherrod Brown from Ohio? Joe Biden?

I think a Joe Biden/Elizabeth Warren ticket would trounce Trump. Not sure if it could become reality or not. Warren would ignite the progressive wing of the party where Joe is a longtime civil servant who could probably draw enough support from both the far left and center left to win easily. Both are likable and well-respected.

I read where Biden is testing the early 2020 waters.

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/02/531248493/as-biden-launches-american-possibilities-pac-is-one-possibility-a-2020-bid-maybe

Trump should be vulnerable. But we might be making a mistake if we put Hillary up against him again.

"Might?" :huh: I truly hope she doesn't run again.

IMO I think we need to support either Bernie or Elizabeth Warren both are very viable and the most popular politicians in the country so I see no other options except for these too, they are both national known and even better they do not corporate money. Which Is a trend that needs to be picked up by all politicians in the Democratic party.

Taking back the presidency is of utmost importance for the Democratic Party and the Nation

IMO, Hillary should not even be considered again. Without going into all her downsides, Hillary is very unpopular and at 69, too old. Biden is 74. Sherrod Brown 64. Bernie Sanders is 75. Elizabeth Warren 67. All fine Democrats but with, perhaps, less to excite younger voters.

Bernie Sanders could be the exception since he is very popular and a proven effective campaigner. But he would be 86 after 8 years; If he survives the stresses of the office. It's an undeniable fact that the human body and mind wears down with time.

Compare the ages of the above group to recent Democratic winners. History shows that Democrats do best with a younger candidate. When they first ran:-- FDR was 51 ... Truman 60 ... Kennedy was 43 ... Johnson 55 ... Carter 52 ... Clinton 46 ... Obama 47.

I believe we need younger candidates. Names that come to mind are Kirsten Gillibrand ... Tulsi Gabbard ... Corey Booker ... Amy Klobuchar ... Andrew Cuomo. These are possibilities but there's plenty of time for a candidate to pop out of nowhere like Barak Obama did in 2008.

Do any of you know Sherrod Brown the Senator from Ohio?

Sherrod Brown is a fine Democrat with a Liberal voting record, but, IMO, too old, at 64, to motivate younger voters to the polls.

IMO I think we need to support either Bernie or Elizabeth Warren both are very viable and the most popular politicians in the country so I see no other options except for these too, they are both national known and even better they do not corporate money. Which Is a trend that needs to be picked up by all politicians in the Democratic party.

It was a trend that was going away. That is until the 2016 election came along. "Representatives" like Debbie Wasserman Schultz are part of the problem in Washington. She has fought tooth and nail to keep the corporate gravy train running directly through the DNC.

Democratic National Committee members on Saturday voted down a resolution that would have reinstated former President Barack Obama’s ban on corporate political action committee donations to the party.

[snip]

Obama, as the party’s presidential nominee in 2008, banned contributions from political action committees, as well as from lobbyists. Former DNC chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz quietly lifted the ban ahead of the 2016 election.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dnc-pac-contributions-ban_us_58b1ac9ee4b0a8a9b782bb00

Compare the ages of the above group to recent Democratic winners. History shows that Democrats do best with a younger candidate. When they first ran:-- FDR was 51 ... Truman 60 ... Kennedy was 43 ... Johnson 55 ... Carter 52 ... Clinton 46 ... Obama 47.

I believe we need younger candidates. Names that come to mind are Kirsten Gillibrand ... Tulsi Gabbard ... Corey Booker ... Amy Klobuchar ... Andrew Cuomo. These are possibilities but there's plenty of time for a candidate to pop out of nowhere like Barak Obama did in 2008.

Here's a young man who's been creating a lot buzz up here in the northeast. I really enjoy listening to what he's got to say; he's a New England liberal to the core. I wonder if he's too young to run (he's 36), but at this point, why not?

151244101.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg

Joseph Kennedy III

https://kennedy.house.gov/

I would vote for a Kennedy. Not sure that Sherrod Brown wouldn't excite younger voters though. Bernie was able to at his age.

I would vote for a Kennedy. Not sure that Sherrod Brown wouldn't excite younger voters though. Bernie was able to at his age.

I have no objections to Sherrod Brown. I don't know a lot about him, honestly. Like Bludog, I will only support a candidate who is willing to address the issues that affect the working class. I need a candidate that is willing to dig into wage inequality, healthcare acess, and making the economy work for everyone. I do like what this article has to say about him:

WASHINGTON — Sen. Sherrod Brown unveiled a set of populist, pro-worker policies on Friday that he says could strengthen the middle class, increase wages and serve as a blueprint for Democrats as his party searches for ways to reconnect with working-class voters.

In a speech in Columbus, the Ohio Democrat called for a dramatic shift to the political left on a series of economic and labor issues — including stronger collective bargaining rights for workers, creating a national paid leave fund, and requiring corporate “freeloaders” to reimburse taxpayers if low-wage employees have to rely on federal assistance to make ends meet.

“We need to change the way we think about the American economy,” Brown said in remarks delivered at Ohio State University.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/03/ohio-sen-sherrod-browns-economic-plan-blueprint-democrats/98682976/

Sherrod Brown is nearly everything I would want in a Democratic candidate. And of utmost importance, he puts ordinary Americans ahead of the Plutocracy. If Brown were to win he would take office in 2021 and would be 76 after eight years in office; Just one year older than Bernie is now. I could support Brown with enthusiasm.

But yeah. Joseph Kennedy III has that movie star quality which could potentially, have huge appeal. Thirty Six is not too young IMO, if he demonstrates enough personal maturity. Kennedy scores high on many Liberal criteria according to Vote Smart. Unfortunately, he seems lacking in the economic equality area. (Scroll down about 3/4 of first page). That would disqualify him by my standards. This may not be definitive and maybe there's more information out there.

https://votesmart.org/candidate/141275/joe-kennedy-iii#.WTTQbca1s2w

Unfortunately, he seems lacking in the economic equality area. (Scroll down about 3/4 of first page). That would disqualify him by my standards. This may not be definitive and maybe there's more information out there.

https://votesmart.org/candidate/141275/joe-kennedy-iii#.WTTQbca1s2w

I see what you mean. :( If those ratings are true, that would disqualify him with me, too. I'll have to do some more digging on economic issues.

I agree with Laripu from another thread. From what I've seen of her so far I could very enthusiastically support Sally Yates for president.

Laripu, May 9, 2017, Post #7 http://www.liberalforum.org/index.php?/topic/211573-sally-yates-schools-ted-cruz-reportedly-causes-him-to-leave/

- snip-

She's just sacrificed her job, and took on a vindictive president, in an attempt to protect the people with the most precarious hold on this society, people who can't even vote.

According to Wikipedia, "In 2015, she authored the policy, known as the "Yates memo", prioritizing the prosecution of executives for corporate crimes."

So she'll shown that she would go after dishonest rich and powerful people (even generals) and protect innocent poor people at her own expense, even if they can't possibly benefit her.

- snip -

I'm impressed by the way she expresses and carries herself; Her integrity, intelligence and foresight. Of course, in order to more fully endorse her, I would have to know more about her positions ... Need to hear her give speeches in more than a self-defensive posture, like she did against Cruz. Still, Yates impresses.

It is my opinion that any democrat could win if we somehow assure we have a fair, open and honest election. Unless that happens Trump can't lose. The ballot counting boxes are fixed, and there are enough of them to guarantee Trump the victory, just like they gave him the victory last time.

Too early for 2020, but there are many contenders:

Sen. Bernie Sanders (Vermont) - Proven base of enthusiastic voters. Perhaps Age, and 2016 battle scars may prohibit 2020 run, but still a force to be reckoned with.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (Massachusetts) - Progressive on the issues. Although "reluctant" on single payer healthcare. Will probably be in a good position in 2020 primaries, but may be lightening rod for Republicans, & Trump.

former VP Joe Biden (Delaware) - Rust belt populist. Probably weak support among millennials.

former Sec. State Hillary Clinton (New York) - Leader on Women's issues. For the masochisticly inclined, IMHO.

Sen. Sherrod Brown (Ohio) - Has to survive re-election bid first.

Sen. Cory Booker (New Jersey) - Great orator, however close ties to Wall Street may hinder primary chances.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (Minnesota) - Voted against Clean Power Plan. Supports 'Clean' coal.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (New York) - Leader in women's rights, especially in military

Gov. Andrew Cuomo (New York) - “Governor 1%”. Heir apparent to Hillary's older, more centrist base.

Gov. Jerry Brown (California) - Very capable Democrat, but 3 years older than Sanders.

Gov. Jay Inslee (Washington) - "Greenist Governor". Possibly most committed to environmental issues than others

Gov. John Hickenlooper(Colorado) - Knows how to thread the needle in a Purple state

Gov. Terry McAuliffe (Virginia) - Democratic insider. Was better DNC chair than DWS, or Tom Perez, but that is a low bar to hurdle.

Sen. Mark Warner (Virginia) - Could be dark horse if Senate investigations go well.

Sen. Al Franken (Minnesota) - Making quite a name for himself recently fighting against Sessions, Devos etc. Could be contender in 2020.

Sen. Kamala Harris (California)- Leader in fighting Trump's immigration ban

Sen. Chris Murphy (Connecticut) - on Senate Foreign relations committee

Joseph Kennedy III (Massachusetts)- Probably too early for national run.

Gov. Steve Bullock (Montana)- Probably more useful in current position as Democratic Gov. in a red state.

I wish Al Franken would run, I think he's an amazing Democrat. I almost wanted to back Sen. Warren due to her charismatic love for the middle class and her eloquence, but I'm also a bit skeptical about Warren because she made a pretty penny flipping homes in the early 90s by buying them off of desperate people and reselling them for LOADS of profit -- and I find that extremely hypocritical given her numerous public quotes on how house flipping doesn't really work and is a parasitic way to make money (and yet that's where she gained a large portion of her wealth).

But if Franken put his hat in the ring, I'd back him 1000000%. Pretty much fell in love with the man when he was the most prominent progressive (next to Sanders) who was absolutely hammering away at all of Donald Trumps confirmations with the questions we really wanted answers too. Plus his levity makes him affable and it's never a dull moment when he speaks!

I wish Al Franken would run, I think he's an amazing Democrat. I almost wanted to back Sen. Warren due to her charismatic love for the middle class and her eloquence, but I'm also a bit skeptical about Warren because she made a pretty penny flipping homes in the early 90s by buying them off of desperate people and reselling them for LOADS of profit -- and I find that extremely hypocritical given her numerous public quotes on how house flipping doesn't really work and is a parasitic way to make money (and yet that's where she gained a large portion of her wealth).

But if Franken put his hat in the ring, I'd back him 1000000%. Pretty much fell in love with the man when he was the most prominent progressive (next to Sanders) who was absolutely hammering away at all of Donald Trumps confirmations with the questions we really wanted answers too. Plus his levity makes him affable and it's never a dull moment when he speaks!

I would vote for Al Franken. He would rattle Trump in the debates.

Ed Rogers is a Republican political campaign consultant (Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Haley Barbour).
He sees Single- payer as the biggest threat for Republicans.....

"At a time when Democrats appear ready to coat their fleet of environmentally friendly and eco-conscious vehicles with “single-payer, universal health care” bumper stickers, I don’t even know what the GOP bumper sticker says.
If Republicans don’t act fast, Democrats will pitch their plan for single-payer, universal health care as a choice between something that costs individuals less vs. more, that is simpler vs. more complicated, that leads to greater equality vs. more inequality."
"The question for Republicans is: How will this all play out? If Republicans fail to stand up and speak with clarity, we may be forced to defend the remnants of Obamacare as the best option to ward off socialized medicine. The public senses confusion, and the Democrats sense an opportunity."

This seems so obvious to me, (& apparently some Republicans). Why so many high profile Democrats are reluctant to fully support single-payer is political malpractice. Healthcare will be THE issue in 2020. Obamacare will be decimated by then, and any replacement will be in adequate, or abhorrent.

Dems can either get ahead of the momentum,, or get crushed by the wave.

Ed Rogers is a Republican political campaign consultant (Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Haley Barbour).

He sees Single- payer as the biggest threat for Republicans.....

"At a time when Democrats appear ready to coat their fleet of environmentally friendly and eco-conscious vehicles with “single-payer, universal health care” bumper stickers, I don’t even know what the GOP bumper sticker says.

If Republicans don’t act fast, Democrats will pitch their plan for single-payer, universal health care as a choice between something that costs individuals less vs. more, that is simpler vs. more complicated, that leads to greater equality vs. more inequality."

"The question for Republicans is: How will this all play out? If Republicans fail to stand up and speak with clarity, we may be forced to defend the remnants of Obamacare as the best option to ward off socialized medicine. The public senses confusion, and the Democrats sense an opportunity."

This seems so obvious to me, (& apparently some Republicans). Why so many high profile Democrats are reluctant to fully support single-payer is political malpractice. Healthcare will be THE issue in 2020. Obamacare will be decimated by then, and any replacement will be in adequate, or abhorrent.

Dems can either get ahead of the momentum,, or get crushed by the wave.

Single payer is a good idea that would put us in the same league as other advanced nations.

Single payer is a good idea that would put us in the same league as other advanced nations.

I couldn't agree more.

But it won't happen until we overcome this problem.

That's why I will not support any NeoLiberal Democratic candidate who only backs social issues which corporations don't care about. I would only support a candidate who backs social equality AND economic equality. That's why I supported Bernie and not Hillary in the Democratic primary.

I like Franken, too. :) I could definitely support him.

I think a combination ticket of Al Franken and Sally Yates would be great. She would be one great presidential or vice presidential candidate due to her respect for and her belief in the constitution.

I couldn't agree more.

But it won't happen until we overcome this problem.

That's why I will not support any NeoLiberal Democratic candidate who only backs social issues which corporations don't care about. I would only support a candidate who backs social equality AND economic equality. That's why I supported Bernie and not Hillary in the Democratic primary.

YES! Economic equality is very important. In fact, I place more importance on that than social issues.

At the risk of getting booted off this forum, the coast-to-coast ticket I'd like to see:

Adam Schiff - President

Sen. Jack Reed - VP

The DEMs need to win. The party should be ashamed that it lost to Trump in 2016 - every day it becomes more shameful.