Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

QuantumPhyzx

Sally Yates schools Ted Cruz, reportedly causes him to leave

http://shareblue.com/ted-cruz-flees-hearing-after-sally-yates-schools-him-on-muslim-ban/

Sen. Ted Cruz tried to intimidate Sally Yates in a debate about the constitutionality of Donald Trump's Muslim ban, but Yates was ready for him and defeated him on his own turf.
Ted Cruz flees hearing after Sally Yates schools him on Muslim ban
By Oliver Willis |MAY 8, 2017

Sen. Ted Cruz tried to intimidate Sally Yates in a debate about the constitutionality of Donald Trump's Muslim ban, but Yates was ready for him and defeated him on his own turf.

Cruz.png
CNN

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) attempted to intimidate former acting Attorney General Sally Yates during her Senate testimony, but soon discovered he had made a mistake.

Yates had earlier in the hearing explained to Cruz’s fellow Texan, Sen. John Cornyn, that she overruled the Office of Legal Counsel, who agreed with the Muslim ban, because arguments on the law “have to be based on truth.”

“We’re not just a law firm,” Yates added, “we’re the Department of Justice.”

Unlike other senators in attendance, Cruz avoided the topic of Russian election meddling — the reason for the hearing — and instead focused on Yates’ determination that Trump’s Muslim ban was unconstitutional (a finding that courts have agreed with so far).

Cruz cited a statute giving the president the right to control which “aliens” are allowed into the country. He asked Yates if it gave Trump “broad statutory authorization” to do so. She agreed, but then pointed out to Cruz, who considers himself a constitutional expert and a master debater, that the Trump ban was in violation of a “further provision” of the law he had cited, which states that “no person shall receive preference or be discriminated against in issuance of a visa because of race, nationality, or place of birth.”

Transcript

After Cruz had been bested in this exchange on the legality of Trump’s Muslim ban, he reportedly left the hearing room, as seen in this photo provided to Shareblue by an attendee:

CRUZ: The statute says, quote, ‘Whenever the president finds that the entry of any alien or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or non-immigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem appropriate.’ Would you agree that that is broad statutory authorization?

YATES: I would, and I am familiar with that. And I’m also familiar with an additional provision of the INA that says, ‘No person shall receive preference or be discriminated against in issuance of a visa because of race, nationality, or place of birth.’ That, I believe, was promulgated after the statute that you just quoted, and that’s been part of the discussion with the courts with respect to the INA, is whether this more specific statute trumps the first one that you just described. But my concern was not an INA concern here. It rather was a constitutional concern, whether or not this — the executive order here violated the constitution specifically with the establishment clause and equal protection and due process.

CRUZ: There is no doubt the arguments that you laid out are arguments that we can expect litigants to bring, partisan litigants who disagree with the policy decision of the president. I would note on January 27, 2017, the Department of Justice issued an official legal decision, a determination by the Office of Legal Counsel, that the executive order, and I’ll quote from the opinion, ‘The proposed order is approved with respect to form and legality.’ That’s a determination from OLC on January 27th, that it was legal. Three days later you determined, using your own words, that although OLC had opined on legality it had not addressed whether it was, quote, ‘wise or just.’

YATES: And I also, in that same directive, Senator, said that I was not convinced it was lawful. I also made the point that the office of OLC looks purely at the face of the document, and again, makes a determination as to whether there is some set of circumstances under which some portion of that EO would be enforceable, would be lawful. They importantly do not look outside the face of the document, and in this particular instance, particularly where we were talking about a fundamental issue of religious freedom — not the interpretation of some arcane statute, but religious freedom — it was appropriate for us to look at the intent behind the president’s actions. And the intent is laid out in his statements.

Go Sally Go :D

cruzhearing-1.jpg

Ted Cruz has often tried to use his debating skills to get the best of his opponents, but without flinching, Sally Yates took him on directly, and won.

I was very impressed with Sally Yates.

Her reference to Constitutional grounds was checkmate to Cruz's feeble attempt to litigate her decision.

Microphone drop moment, IMHO

I find it interesting that Cruz is becoming a Trump's servile puppy dog, after JFK assassination lie, and slandering his wife....

Lyin' Ted Cruz just used a picture of Melania from a G.Q. shoot in his ad. Be careful, Lyin' Ted, or I will spill the beans on your wife!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 23, 2016

Cruz meant for this to be a sneak attack to intimidate Yates and shut her down. But Yates saw an attack like this coming and had a perfect rebuttal prepared for each point. Her delivery and demeanor were right on point. Very Impressive. Cruz thought to be the bully but Yates turned the tables on him, revealing him for an empty blowhard.

Yates was impressive indeed.

Thanks for the linked video QP!

Bill

I was very impressed with Sally Yates.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd be happy to vote for her for President.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd be happy to vote for her for President.

I share your interest in Yates political potential.

We know she's a Democrat appointed twice by President Obama and was fired for refusing to enforce Trump's immigration order. Anyone can see, her mind is sharp as a razor and she is extremely effective at communicating her thoughts in public. Her presentation, demeanor and style appear perfect for a political run. However I would still like to see if she is roughly as impressive giving speeches of a non-defensive nature. But in general, Yates appears to come ready-made for prime time.

Here's the deal maker/breaker or me: Would Yates be equally passionate about economic justice and social justice for the American people? I am not interested in any Democratic politician who is not interested in both; No matter what their other qualifications.

Here's the deal maker/breaker or me: Would Yates be equally passionate about economic justice and social justice for the American people? I am not interested in any Democratic politician who is not interested in both; No matter what their other qualifications.

Well no-one can predict the future, but past actions give an indication of character.

She's just sacrificed her job, and took on a vindictive president, in an attempt to protect the people with the most precarious hold on this society, people who can't even vote.

According to Wikipedia, "In 2015, she authored the policy, known as the "Yates memo", prioritizing the prosecution of executives for corporate crimes."

So she'll shown that she would go after dishonest rich and powerful people (even generals) and protect innocent poor people at her own expense, even if they can't possibly benefit her.

That's a start.

I hope someone with intelligence and integrity runs against Cruz. All he's done in Washington is stir up trouble.

actually, I thought Cruz was much worse than Trump, and I knew Trump was a schmuck of the first order. How dare he, Cruz, filibuster while reciting Doctor Seuss so ham badly yet he's not as bad as Mitch McConnell

only because he don't run the Senate

Peace!

Cruz meant for this to be a sneak attack to intimidate Yates and shut her down. But Yates saw an attack like this coming and had a perfect rebuttal prepared for each point. Her delivery and demeanor were right on point. Very Impressive. Cruz thought to be the bully but Yates turned the tables on him, revealing him for an empty blowhard.

The PUT down of Cruz was Classic,

That will be reviewed for years and years, with joy.

Well no-one can predict the future, but past actions give an indication of character.

She's just sacrificed her job, and took on a vindictive president, in an attempt to protect the people with the most precarious hold on this society, people who can't even vote.

According to Wikipedia, "In 2015, she authored the policy, known as the "Yates memo", prioritizing the prosecution of executives for corporate crimes."

So she'll shown that she would go after dishonest rich and powerful people (even generals) and protect innocent poor people at her own expense, even if they can't possibly benefit her.

That's a start.

A damn good start, at that. I find her to be brilliant, eloquent, and fearless. Thanks for that information, laripu.

A damn good start, at that. I find her to be brilliant, eloquent, and fearless. Thanks for that information, laripu.

I live to serve. :)