Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kfbvoice

WHAT DEMOCRATS AND LIBERALS NEED

​Resisting President Trump and effectively challenging the political Right will not be easy or yield immediate success, but Democrats and Liberals in particular need to do it. Starting with a clear and compelling public philosophy and offering an agenda that addresses economic fairness and social inclusion are essential.

A Public Philosophy

​Government is good because it's of the people, by the people, and for the people. It's given us programs like Social Security and Medicare and it ensures product safety and clean air. It shouldn't be weakened or denigrated by big money interests or extremists haters who want everyone to fend for themselves and ignore problems.

​Individual freedom isn't possible without living wages or affordable healthcare. If you don't get paid enough at work you don't have choices like a free person. If you don't have health insurance or medical bills ruin you financially you can only be desperate and destitute. A free person needs material wellbeing.

​Our nation and our politics must be about the common good where every person has a chance to live fully and prosper when they work hard and who you are doesn't matter before the law or in society.

An Agenda for Economic Fairness and Social Inclusion

​Living wages, the right to collective bargaining, fair trade, and investments in infrastructure are the basis for a fair economy that benefits working families as well as the wealthy and business interests.

​Large Corporations, big banks, and industries must abide by strong rules that protect us from things like climate change and reckless actions that bring down markets and the economy.

​If you work hard, play by the rules, and put forth the effort then no American should be denied the right and opportunity to make the most of their life due to race, gender, sexual orientation, or where they came from.

​Forget slogans, platitudes, and pandering. Stop stating policy positions or support for popular programs. These things will not suffice but an alternative ideal and agenda will. This is what Democrats and Liberals in particular need.

Very well put.

Both social and economic justice are essential for a truly a truly free people. But with the advent of the deliberately misnamed Citizen's United decision and dark money in the election process, it will be hard to prevent Big Money Interests from buying laws that increasingly widen the wealth gap and concentrate the Nation's wealth in fewer hands.

Even if the pendulum swings toward Democratic majorities in government, again, any attempt to break up monopolized industry and restore competition, will be met with massive advertising campaigns to maintain the status quo.

It will be a long struggle, but, as other nations have demonstrated, it can be done. The programs and laws put in place in the FDR era, brought national prosperity which lasted over half a century, before the forces of regression started to gain the upper hand.

​"Forget slogans, platitudes, and pandering. Stop stating policy positions or support for popular programs. These things will not suffice but an alternative ideal and agenda will. This is what Democrats and Liberals in particular need."

"Government is good because it's of the people, by the people, and for the people. It's given us programs like Social Security and Medicare and it ensures product safety and clean air. It shouldn't be weakened or denigrated by big money interests or extremists haters who want everyone to fend for themselves and ignore problems."

Everything sounds like a question here, questions in regards to how the world works now, or why it works or doesn't work. And there are some who fly high above it all.

Today, really, just this very afternoon, I met an eighteen year old acrobat scholar from a junior college as he was teaching with his mom young girls how to fly. Yeah he's light skin black, inquisitive, wants to be a lawyer,

"who is he ?" I never said, but he said, "I've started groups. We try to encourage black youth by introducing to them the arts, the world of knowledge."

Where does anyone start? By Defining the World or by listening

Peace!

​I think we are so caught up in Trump that we have taken our eyes off the political right and issues of economic fairness. I just responded to laripu's thread about Trump and he talked about too many stupid people voting for Trump. As wrong as I think they are we're going to have to mobilize a political base that might include some of them in order to win. But that's vital work and I think we're too distracted.

I don't believe there are enough of "them" to really win an election, but there are enough of "them" to cheat and win when we aren't watching. No matter how many people we get to vote for decency it won't win when they can flip as many votes as needed to "win." When they mark thousands off the voting rolls because they have a similar name to a potential felon, when they send out letters changing the day of the election, when they illegally gerrymander, and on and on, decency will not win. In my opinion we need to work on making the elections fair, open and honest, which if we don't, we will continue to lose election after election. It will be difficult because we have so many republicans in power to keep the fraudulent elections in place, and too many democrats who have not been willing to push the issue because of a fear it might make people less likely to vote. We can't be stopped by that issue because we are losing anyway.

I grew up in the sixties and I remember a more acute racism along with homophobia. The day time TV was religion and preachers offering savior if you donate now. Archie Bunker they say broke the mold as did Vietnam and the summer of love. Look, I'm sorry, but there's vastly too much greed in the United States today. There's that and very little civic participation. Take a good look at the simple chart below that shows a comparison of the rate of increase in healthcare spending between the United States and 5 other countries. This has to end and to make it end we need radical change!

Book2_28024_image002.png