Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zkyllonen8

Bernie The Underappreciated Democrat

Bernie   

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do You support these bills?

• yes
    • No
    • somewhat

April 3, 20175:42 p.m. Congressional Democrats Warm to Bernie Sanders’s Agenda By Eric Levitz Share

03-bernie-sanders-elizabeth-warren.w710.
Go left, young Democrats. Photo: Barry Chin/Globe Staff/Boston Globe via Getty Images

Bernie Sanders’s surprisingly strong primary campaign did not win him the Democratic nomination. Nor, for that matter, did it prevent the White House from becoming the wholly owned subsidiary of “the billionaire class.” But it did, apparently, increase support within the Democratic Party for two of his key agenda items.

Following Trumpcare’s untimely death, John Conyers’s Medicare for All bill has attracted some 80 co-sponsors in the House, the most its had since 2009.

“I have been introducing the Medicare For All bill every session of Congress since 2003, and I’m the longest serving member of Congress. I have never seen more enthusiasm and energy behind this issue than what I’m seeing today,” Conyers said in a statement last week. “I will keep introducing this bill as long as it takes because access to health care—not just health insurance, but quality, affordable care—is a universal right, not a privilege for those who can afford it.”

Meanwhile, another staple of Sanders’s stump speech, free public college, is gaining traction among Senate Democrats. In 2015, the Vermont senator’s proposal to abolish tuition for public universities failed to attract a single co-sponsor. On Monday, Sanders introduced the College for All Act with the co-sponsorship of senators Elizabeth Warren, Richard Blumenthal, Chris Murphy, Kamala Harris, and Kirsten Gillibrand.

Granted, Sanders’s new bill is a bit more fiscally moderate than his last one. The legislation is similar to the plan the senator hashed out with Hillary Clinton last summer, with free tuition at four-year public colleges guaranteed only to children from households that earn less than $125,000 a year. But the plan would make community college free to all comers, while slashing the interest rate on student loans, and levying a hefty sales tax on financial transactions.

The fact that the bill has attracted the support of younger Democratic leaders like Gillibrand, Harris, and Murphy — who may well have one eye on their future presidential prospects — testifies to the growing strength of the left within Team Blue’s tent.

Washington congresswoman Pramila Jayapal is leading the push for the bill in the House.

The
Act renews our compact with our young people. It revives the American Dream and restores promises that have been broken.

During the campaign, Donald Trump’s plan to increase college affordability involved forcing borrowers to pay 12.5 percent of their annual income toward their loans for 15 years, at which point their debts are forgiven. For low-income borrowers, this would actually increase their annual debt burden in the short run, but provide some relief in the long term.

Anyhow, if Democrats can ever frame an election as a referendum on “free public college for the working class” and “Medicare for All” — versus “make student borrowers give 12.5 percent of their salaries to banks for 15 years” and “throw millions off of Medicaid to finance a tax break for millionaire investors” — they should probably do so.

By all appearances, in the coming years, some will try to.

I have No idea why the Democratic party jipped Bernie out of the nomination he would have made a fine president who would be working to make the nation better for all people and not just the corporate donors and all the other wealthy people in this country.

I really do hope that the Democrats can come together with these two issues and put forth a progressive stamp on Americans that would help millions each and every year.

More lies about Bernie Sanders being "jipped" [sic] out of the nomination. He ran. He lost. The false narritive that he "was robbed" hurt Democrats (of which Bernie lied about becoming) in November.

Had HRC become president and we'd flipped the Senate single payer and help with college tuitions would have had a far better chance of becoming reality than under Trump.

Instead of progress, we are regressing. A thanks a lot Bernie.

Bill

Blah blah all Bernie's fault let's derail another fucking thread.

What details threads are lies about Bernie Sanders being robbed. Enough lies and Democrat bashing. It gets really old.

He lost. Accept Democracy.

Bill

What details threads are lies about Bernie Sanders being robbed. Enough lies and Democrat bashing. It gets really old.

He lost. Accept Democracy

I have accepted it. Just because I am not thrilled about it, doesn't mean I haven't accepted it. Just wish we could discuss the bills on their merits and/or faults instead of our opinions of the man. (And that applies here too, to zy, because the whole part about whether or not Bernie was 'jipped' is another thing that detracts from the discussion. I screwed up multi-quote, so apologize that didn't get in the first post of mine.

Addition: Geez wtf, I can't type for shit tonight. Someone smack me.

I have accepted it. Just because I am not thrilled about it, doesn't mean I haven't accepted it. Just wish we could discuss the bills on their merits and/or faults instead of our opinions of the man. (And that applies here too, to zy, because the whole part about whether or not Bernie was 'jipped' is another thing that detracts from the discussion. I screwed up multi-quote, so apologize that didn't get in the first post of mine.

Addition: Geez wtf, I can't type for shit tonight. Someone smack me.

I was going to offer a different response, until I read the zinger that repeated the ongoing false naraitives that are repeated here ad nauseam. It really gets old.

Both proposals are getting increasing traction with Democrats. College aid was in the platform. Single payer is a bigger battle (especially not that we are fighting to simply keep the ACA) but increasingly people are thinking about how it would work and how it would cost out.

Other advanced economies make it work. That we know.

Bill

Some caveats:

College can't be for all. University is by definition higher learning, and not everyone is capable of that.Putting an idiot in a university classroom is a waste of money and human resources, both the teaching staff's and the idiot's. So I would make state universities' tuition free for any A student, cheap for any B student, and below that anyone that can pay should be accepted based on their grades. (Living expenses are still up to the student. There are always part time jobs.)

Medicare for all is another story: everyone should have it because everyone can get sick or can get into an accident. It should be (mostly) paid for with a progressive payroll income tax, with no cap. But I would keep it (almost) as it is right now. I'd have an automatic part A and part B paid for via taxes. But I'd allow companies to continue to offer Part C/D managed care or supplementary gap insurance.

And if we do have Medicare for all, there will be an even greater shortage of doctors than we have now. Free university for A students won't make up the difference. We'll have to bring in doctors from other countries.Luckily there is no shortage of oppressive regimes that exfoliate their talent. :)

I love the phrase "exfoliate their talent." I may steal that one day.

Bill

Bernie is not really a democratic party goer, he's not in the democratic party, nor is he a democrat as the Republican slur of terms deems the other side.

So polls do not really ask the correct questions. Usually they are designed to get an answer or to defy common sense or provoke voter apathy. That's a good trick, to provoke voter apathy.

And sure it is confounding, and sure, it is confounding because studies do show it works from time to time, as every casual onlooker does certainly know.

So I smoked marijuana in high school at the same time as Obama did. He is the first president in my lifetime who was just a teeny bit younger than I am. I got high and so too did he/ in fact we both were getting high at the exact same time, yeah, we were, yeah we did.

I played B ball, he did as well. I still do. And so does he. My dad left when I was really young, so did his. My mom was extremely smart, so was his.

My grandparents were older than his, mine were parents to my mom a nurse during WWII and a dad who fought as a marine, his grand dad fought in WWII while his grand mom on his mom's side was an underpaid top notch bank manager.

But his grand parents were white on his mothers side, so too were mine. But he is black, black skinned, from Kenyan root. Mine were white from my mothers side and white on my fathers side too.

Irish both sides on mine

So what. That's the point. So what. But guess what? Look around, take a good hard look!!!

He, Obama, is brilliant, and yet, he's cool. He reminds me of myself, if I could be that cool, but I'm not. But no, not because he's black, but then again, maybe because he is.

But he isn't the first black person who amazed the heck out of me. But I don't see him so much as being black either. His wife Michelle, she's from Chicago, her parents were and are first class

In the face of a lot of tough times they never gave up!

I do not doubt racism is still present since I have seen it - yet the privilege one has as a white person is quite easily taken for granted.

I truly wish more in the Democratic Party were like Bernie.

But I feel the poll is worded incorrectly! We all do feel that all the polls are worded incorrectly. And that is a problem!

I'm wondering if I will smoke some marijuana once it is legal and can be bought from a store in California - I might, just to unfold all that I do know, knowing it won't make a dent either way.

Is that just the poet in me envisioning that that which could become some brief escape from reality in a couple of puffs, And yet knowing by doing so, no true escape will ever become, I'm sure I'll never wonder.

But that's not the point!

Peace!

I was going to offer a different response, until I read the zinger that repeated the ongoing false naraitives that are repeated here ad nauseam. It really gets old.

Both proposals are getting increasing traction with Democrats. College aid was in the platform. Single payer is a bigger battle (especially not that we are fighting to simply keep the ACA) but increasingly people are thinking about how it would work and how it would cost out.

Other advanced economies make it work. That we know.

Bill

Democrats, really? So called populist, really?

"that we know", how so, Bill?

Democrats, really? So called populist, really?

"that we know", how so, Bill?

I'm not following the intention of your post or the questions you are asking.

Bill

I love the phrase "exfoliate their talent." I may steal that one day.

Bill

In the interests of truth, justice and the American way, I have to admit that I already stole that idea.

There's a left-wing New York Jewish newspaper that I read on line. (How's that for a stereotype: left wing New York Jewish?) It's called Forward.

The article (here's a link) was about Jared and Ivanka Kushner losing many of their friends who are Democrats and are scornful of Trump. The usage came from Jared: "exfoliating friends".

For all I know, he may have stolen it from someone else.

I also see it from this NY source.

In the interests of truth, justice and the American way, I have to admit that I already stole that idea.

There's a left-wing New York Jewish newspaper that I read on line. (How's that for a stereotype: left wing New York Jewish?) It's called Forward.

The article (here's a link) was about Jared and Ivanka Kushner losing many of their friends who are Democrats and are scornful of Trump. The usage came from Jared: "exfoliating friends".

For all I know, he may have stolen it from someone else.

I also see it from this NY source.

I like the Forward and know it well.I don't read it quite as often as I should. Here in LA I almost unfailingly read the LA based Jewish Journal.

Bill (Jewish adjacent)

Bill (Jewish adjacent)

I may steal that phrase. :D

Since I'm married to a German Catholic, it describes one of us. :);)

White supremacists would write it as (((Jewish adjacent))).

I'll have a look at the Jewish Journal.

Here in LA I almost unfailingly read the LA based Jewish Journal.

Ha! I looked at the Jewish Journal on Wikipedia, and it turns it I went to elementary school (grade 5 & 6) with David Suissa, who is listed as their president and is also a columnist.

Ha! I looked at the Jewish Journal on Wikipedia, and it turns it I went to elementary school (grade 5 & 6) with David Suissa, who is listed as their president and is also a columnist.

I really like the Jewish Journal. They do sometimes give column space to right-wingers (which is unfortunate), but overall it is a good read.

Cool about David Suissa.

Once feature I (improbably) like is the Parsha of the week. They get really interesting religious figures writing commentaries.

Bill

Once feature I (improbably) like is the Parsha of the week. They get really interesting religious figures writing commentaries.

When I read any commentary on the bible, it hones my understanding of why I mostly disagree with it.

It really is a load of hooey.

What isn't a load of hooey is the longing that makes people search for the holy, or the transcendental, or the reason-for-living.

The longing is real. The longed-for stuff is illusory.

I'm sad to say. :(

When I read any commentary on the bible, it hones my understanding of why I mostly disagree with it.

It really is a load of hooey.

What isn't a load of hooey is the longing that makes people search for the holy, or the transcendental, or the reason-for-living.

The longing is real. The longed-for stuff is illusory.

I'm sad to say. :(

Many of these commentaries on Torah portions are more down to earth than that. I'm not a spiritualist or religious guy myself but do find an interest in attempts to reason out ethics from a Jewish perspective (and especially a liberal Jewish perspective).

Bill

I'm not a spiritualist or religious guy myself but do find an interest in attempts to reason out ethics from a Jewish perspective (and especially a liberal Jewish perspective).

I find ethics to be a practical endeavor, determined by the facts apparent at the moment.

The longing that leads to religion is a real psychological thing. I have that longing and deal with it daily. It involves sadness at the loss of dead relatives and pets, and at suffering of all kinds, especially the sufferings of beings that can't verbalize an understanding of it, like children and animals.

I have never seen anything that qualifies to answer that longing. The closest thing I've seen is the book by Tipler and the content of my sig. Not nearly enough.

I find ethics to be a practical endeavor, determined by the facts apparent at the moment.

The longing that leads to religion is a real psychological thing. I have that longing and deal with it daily. It involves sadness at the loss of dead relatives and pets, and at suffering of all kinds, especially the sufferings of beings that can't verbalize an understanding of it, like children and animals.

I have never seen anything that qualifies to answer that longing. The closest thing I've seen is the book by Tipler and the content of my sig. Not nearly enough.

Personally, I'm not drawn to religion on a spiritual level. Like anyone, I feel loss and sadness over losing loved ones. But religion isn't a balm for those hurts for me.

I do find struggles with ethical issues very interesting on an intellectual level, and (among other sources) the study of Gemara and other Jewish commentaries by sages and rabbis intrigues me.

Bill