Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bludog

Women Leading Resistance & Getting Into Politics Like Never Before

Trump is mobilizing women against him in large numbers and many are expressing a desire to get into politics, both on the local and national levels. This can only be a good thing for Liberalism in the post-Trump era.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/women-running-for-office_us_58a4a16ee4b0ab2d2b1b74ee?section=us_politics&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Politics%2021717&utm_content=Politics%2021717+Version+B+CID_bb3463463dacf93f9c5b4b9d1c7e8279&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software&utm_term=Donald%20Trump%20Has%20Mobilized%20Women%20In%20A%20Way%20Hillary%20Clinton%20Never%20Quite%20Could&

Donald Trump Has Mobilized Women In A Way Hillary Clinton Never Quite Could

58a4a3f02900002200f2695b.jpeg

Regular women with no background in politics are leading the resistance.

By Laura Bassett

‘We need somebody to stir the pot’

Underlying the rise of women activists across the country is a feeling of powerlessness that an agenda they find so alarming has no checks or balances to hold it back. It’s been a motivating force in politics before: The anti-Iraq War movement became politically influential after President George W. Bush won re-election in 2004, paving the way for Democrats to gain control of the House and Senate in 2006. Three years later, as President Barack Obama pushed health care reform through a Democratic-run Congress, the tea party movement emerged as a powerful backlash. Republicans co-opted that momentum under the banner of firing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), and they flipped the House back to GOP control in 2010.

- snip -

Less than a month into the Trump administration, an unprecedented number of women ― more than 13,000 ― have expressed interest in running for office, according to groups that train women to be candidates. They’re gunning for Congress and for local office; they’re looking to take on Republicans who are too deferential to Trump, and Democrats who haven’t shown sufficient backbone.

“You have these Democrats now ― they want to be quiet, they don’t want to stir the pot,” said Erin Tyler, a 35-year-old nurse in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, who just decided to run for state office. “Well, we need somebody to stir the pot. Let’s go. Stop being so meek and timid. Open your mouth.”

For people like McIntosh, who worked to elect women at EMILY’s List for years before joining Clinton’s campaign, it’s a wonderful thing to watch. But it’s also bittersweet. A career objective is playing out in real time. But it would have been nice if it had come half a year earlier.

“If there is a silver lining to Donald Trump being successful, maybe it is people realizing you don’t have to be perfect to run for office,” McIntosh said. “A whole lot of women woke up and said, ‘Well, I’m more qualified than that, so I might as well run.’”

I am seeing that in my community and in neighboring communities here in Iowa. Some of the local women had participated in the women's march in Washington. I have noticed more letters from women in the opinion section of the newspaper and in most cases they are anti Trump

I see it everywhere. Friends and relatives. Total dedication. Women are pissed off and tired of sitting on the sidelines.It is awe inspiring and it's not just in the U.S. either!

Peace!