Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Supposn

Filibuster Court Nominee

Filibuster Republican Supreme Court Nominee:

The Republican Party’s Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell and their judiciary committee members deliberately prevented the U.S. Senate from discussing and voting upon the Democratic president’s nominee for a seat on the U.S. Supreme Court while a Democratic president was in office. If this was in the best interests of our nation, then surely Democratic Senators should behave no less patriotically. Until at least the year 2021, Democrats should filibuster any discussion or vote for a seat upon the U.S. Supreme Court.

If Republicans behaved contrary to our nation’s best interests, their behavior should not be rewarded to encourage similar or worse occurrences in future senate sessions.

At very least the Democrats should insist that Senator McConnell on behalf of the Republican Party lead the passage of a vote for his own censure and publicly apologize for their undermining the reputation of the U.S. Senate; I do not believe the Democrats should insist upon McConnell’s resignation (if he wishes to remain in the U.S. Senate).

Until such a public Republican apology, or 2021, it’s Democrats patriotic duty to attempt filibustering any discussion or vote for a seat upon the U.S. Supreme Court while a Republican President is in office.

Respectfully, Supposn

Most congressional Democrats are afraid their corporate money will dry up if they resist too much.

Most congressional Democrats are afraid their corporate money will dry up if they resist too much.

Sad but true. And those self-serving money grubbers will need to be voted out when they come up for reelection (along with the wingnuts).

We need to DEMAND a government that represents the majority, not the establishment and wealthy elites.

Sad but true. And those self-serving money grubbers will need to be voted out when they come up for reelection (along with the wingnuts).

We need to DEMAND a government that represents the majority, not the establishment and wealthy elites.

I agree, but how do we do that? Can we ever hope to exert even the degree of pressure that Mandela's ANC Party did in South Africa?

Rich people do not give up easily.

Yes. People often lose their minds when it comes to riches. Our political condition reflects that.

The only way to fix it is through election and lobbying reform ... Get money out of politics.

It's not impossible. Other countries have done it. But it will take a much farther Left government than we have now.

ELECTION REFORM

When a tiny percentage of the population can control the outcome of most of the elections, it means the end of our Republic as the Founding Fathers envisioned it.

A corrupt and partisan SCOTUS ruled that money = free speech in the deceitfully named "Citizens United". The honest name would be "Citizens Disempowered".

In truth, money does not equal free speech in any way, shape or form. Money in politics is a crude instrument of force, used by corporations and the ultra rich to buy elections and defeat the will of the majority.

WE NEED TO GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS. Some suggestions:

~ Election cycle to last no longer than six months.

~ All candidates to get equal public funding.

~ Candidates to be prohibited by law from receiving private funding.

~ All candidates reto ceive equal time by law, on the media airwaves.

~ Automatic registration of all eligible voters.

~ All eligible citizens be required to vote or pay a nominal fine.

~ Election day to be declared a public holiday. Election day on working Tuesdays is a travesty of the electoral system.

~ Term limits

These reforms and others like them should help restore election of candidates on the merits of their platforms, as decided by the electorate. They will not eliminate politician's lying and empty promises. These reforms will make campaign bribes illegal. They will make elected officials more accountable to those who elected them.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LOBBY REFORM

Lobbying in state legislatures and Congress in Washington has gotten completely out of hand. Lobbyists representing ultra wealthy individuals and corporations give bribes to elected officials in return for favorable legislation. Lobbyists usually get whopping salaries. Often, bribed elected officials are presented legislation already written by special interests for passage into law.

Only Big Money Special Interests can lobby with legalized bribes. The ordinary people, you and I, are completely out of the loop.... Resulting in lopsided legislation funneling even more wealth upward to those already rolling in dough.

The Nation desperately needs lobbying reform. Bribes need to be outlawed. The only lobbying done should be by petition, phone or special audience. The details can be worked out to block the privileged from hogging congressional time. We The People need to take back our government.

WE NEED TO GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS.

The republicans set the precedent not to confirm any nominee for the USSC from the democratic party. It is now required that the democrats not allow any republican nominee. If they don't they have no reason to be in office and should be removed. We didn't vote for them to abandon us and vote for the GOP.

If the GOP changes the rules of the senate, then the next chance the democrats get they should really go nuclear and change the rules so the GOP has absolutely no say. Further, they could order that the GOP be disbanded. If they refuse to disband, put them in prison. They have gotten away with Treason for far too long.

Filibuster Republican Supreme Court Nominee:

The Republican Party’s Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell and their judiciary committee members deliberately prevented the U.S. Senate from discussing and voting upon the Democratic president’s nominee for a seat on the U.S. Supreme Court while a Democratic president was in office. If this was in the best interests of our nation, then surely Democratic Senators should behave no less patriotically. Until at least the year 2021, Democrats should filibuster any discussion or vote for a seat upon the U.S. Supreme Court.

If Republicans behaved contrary to our nation’s best interests, their behavior should not be rewarded to encourage similar or worse occurrences in future senate sessions.

At very least the Democrats should insist that Senator McConnell on behalf of the Republican Party lead the passage of a vote for his own censure and publicly apologize for their undermining the reputation of the U.S. Senate; I do not believe the Democrats should insist upon McConnell’s resignation (if he wishes to remain in the U.S. Senate).

Until such a public Republican apology, or 2021, it’s Democrats patriotic duty to attempt filibustering any discussion or vote for a seat upon the U.S. Supreme Court while a Republican President is in office.

Respectfully, Supposn

I like these ideas.

The Senate is a glorious body in the U.S. System of government - or at least it used to be. Then, along comes Mitch McConnell. Restore the Senate, restore it back to its more perfect deliberative spirit of compromise to protect not the few but all! Filibuster this nominee, and not because he is not qualified, but because we must demand fairness. We must demand it!!!

Peace!

Skans - Your post has been deleted. As you probably know very well, Cons are not allowed to post in the Libs Only Rm. If you do so again, you will be locked out.

No holds barred chat

• Hey kfools.. does this help? 

• By Vegas

Liberals are going to hell.

• grgle

• Where’s at @slideman?

• Hola

• I know this one, this new chat thing. I've seen it called the "shoutbox" among other things in my past. Very hard to hide from the chat box. The question is asked, there's no time to go search what other folks think, this is real time. Only seconds should be between chat box replies. This one is made for me. In the chat box one has to be quick on their feet with stuff at the ready. This chat box is the worst nightmare of anyone trying to deal with ol' teach. 

• By pmurT

hey @teacher that sounds like too much work for me LOL I need that useless thing called *time* in order to authenticate facts and truths which get posted by deceitful Dems

• What does the red number refer to? currently, on my screen it says 2

• Where does it say 2?

• So. In the chat....if you tag a member the text afterwards should be a private message. 

• How do? I'm teacher. If I'm online and the powers that be can figure out how to make it immediately apparent to me that whatever I've said here has been replied to I'm gonna show up right quick and kick some teeth in. It's the chat box, all this is new and scary. I know this gig. This starts now. 

• Hey kfools, did you lose your securtiy cert? On my browser it is saying your site is not secure?

• Mine too. I'm looking into it.

• Mine too. 

• I thought it was my location.. 

• Just gave to renew the security cert. No big deal I'll do it tonight

• OK thanks

• Happy Anniversary, America... on your Civil Union.

• All lives matter.

• Double post deleted.

• By teacher

Scroll the other way for a while and you'll see me saying that these days the chat box ain't gonna work as one has to be quick on one's feet. The question is posed, there ain't no stinkin time for ya'll to refer to your betters for the answer, ya'll don't understand these things, this political debate, ya'll don't have the answer at hand, ya'll haven't thought this through, ya'll ain't ready for the next question I'll ask,  ya'll can't handle the pace that a bloke such as I can bring it in the chat box, ya'll can't handle this format.

This one is made for me. 

• By teacher

Being offended does not make one correct. 

• By teacher

Some few days before the next election Mr. Fools is gonna pin my horse thread. it's gonna be horrible, I shall endevour every day to bring some some fresh. 

I still own this cat box.

• By teacher

"I'm coming to you for ask a quick favor."

• By teacher

"Anyone that places a color in front of their name is racist." That one is not mine, got it from another member. 

• Where’s all the hot bitches? 

• By teacher

Kidding me? 

• By nuckin futz

How do I get rid of this chatroom box?

• By nuckin futz

How do I get rid of this chatroom box?

• By nuckin futz

Get me out of Chatbox!

• By jefftec

The chatbox stays expanded and is a nuisance blocking screen images. What setting is there to control/collapse chatbox?

• By kfools

Just click the no holds barred to collapse it.

• diddle dee dee

You don't have permission to chat in this chatroom