Atheism

This is not a put down on anyone's beliefs...just some stuff I found.

Are atheists making an error by defining things they have no evidence for?

Not necessarily...many people from all walks of life make claims they have no evidence for.

There have been things that mankind has believed to be true even though we didn't have the evidence at the time...then later we find evidence that proves what we believed was in fact true.

"Most atheists do not claim to have a conclusive disproof of God’s existence.

Indeed, it is common today for atheists to say, “I can’t prove that there is no God—but I think it highly unlikely that he exists, or at least I haven’t seen convincing proof of his existence, so I don’t believe in him.”

Whether they think it highly unlikely that God exists, or whether they just have not been presented with proof they consider sufficient, they are doing the same thing: adopting a belief without certain proof.

In other words, they are exercising faith.

They are in the same position as the ordinary Christian who holds the existence of God despite his acknowledgement that he does not have conclusive proof of this.

And atheists exercising faith in this way are doing so regarding the central belief of atheism—the non-existence of God."

http://www.strangenotions.com/do-atheists-have-faith/#

It is impossible to prove the nonexistence of God or anything, actually. God as defined in the Christian Bible. the Torah or the Koran is far more improbable as defined (omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient and omnibenevolent) than perhaps a more simple creator deity that slaps together a universe and then goes elsewhere, slapping together more universes for all eternity, letting them run all by themselves with no divine participation at all.

Humans prefer the sort of God that will do us favors in exchange for flattery, architecture, works of art or dead goats or perhaps maidens. An itinerant Creator God who bopped through the neighborhood millennia ago does not appeal to us much.

there is no proof any gods or monsters exist

that means the cracken is not real

There is no proof time is measurable beyond theory and theology, intellectually constructed clocks and calendars, or results never duplicated twice, now.

so your mentlaity wants to disprove religion, I can instinctively tear apart your relative science and any theology.

It is impossible to prove the nonexistence of God or anything, actually. God as defined in the Christian Bible. the Torah or the Koran is far more improbable as defined (omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient and omnibenevolent) than perhaps a more simple creator deity that slaps together a universe and then goes elsewhere, slapping together more universes for all eternity, letting them run all by themselves with no divine participation at all.

Humans prefer the sort of God that will do us favors in exchange for flattery, architecture, works of art or dead goats or perhaps maidens. An itinerant Creator God who bopped through the neighborhood millennia ago does not appeal to us much.

The point is...atheists also believe some things without evidence.

Just sayin'.

there is no proof you are sane

But we have plenty of evidence that you are insane. lol

\

I believe that if I buy a quart of milk on the 2nd of the month, and leave it out of the refrigerator, it will be spoiled by the 15th.

This is not based on specific evidence, but only on probability. The Sun could have ceased to exist seven minutes ago, and we are none the wiser until nine minutes have passed. We cannot function without relying on some sort of belief. But I would not call it any form of religion.

\

I believe that if I buy a quart of milk on the 2nd of the month, and leave it out of the refrigerator, it will be spoiled by the 15th.

This is not based on specific evidence, but only on probability. The Sun could have ceased to exist seven minutes ago, and we are none the wiser until nine minutes have passed. We cannot function without relying on some sort of belief. But I would not call it any form of religion.

We do have evidence that milk spoils.

But we do know it takes 9 minutes for sun light to reach us...so we do have evidence that sun light would end in 9 minutes if the sun went cold.

You're not making any points with these examples...you're stating what we already know to be true.

My point is EVERYONE believes in something that they have no evidence for.

Maybe you missed my point?

Atheism simply means the lack of believe.

Not true.

Atheists believe in things that haven't been proven...I'm not saying atheists are right or wrong in doing this...just stating a fact that even many atheists agree with.

It is possible that no bacteria will spoil the milk. It is just very improbable. The same is true of the Sun disappearing.

There is not evidence that milk will always spoil. There is only evidence that there is an immense probability that milk will spoil.

So it is really a belief. It is logical to believe this based on probabuility, but it is not 100% certain.

Atheism simply means the lack of believe.

True that!!

Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2][3][4] Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of belief that any deities exist.[5][6] In an even narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[1][2][7][8] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[9][10] which, in its most general form, is the belief that at least one deity exists.[10][11][12]

So pick your level

So the question becomes if there is no definitive proof for the existence of a god, where do Christos come off basing a whole World on nothing, making wild claims to shape other people's lives including our bodies, the government, or education, etc.? Their beliefs are dangerous and controlling, killing thousands in the ME, marching Christos into wars based of some belief in nothing and slaughtering women and children. Shaping laws based on nothing to stop women's right to control her own body, but letting males do as they wish, all based on a vagina.

This belief system is what is wrong with all religions, and why Atheism is preferred logical thinking. One should have proof of the god system if you are murdering, controlling and manipulating other people based on nothing.

be·lief
bəˈlēf/
noun
noun: belief; plural noun: beliefs
  1. 1.
    an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
    "his belief in the value of hard work"
  2. 2.
    trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something.
    "a belief in democratic politics"
    synonyms: faith, trust, reliance, confidence, credence
    "belief in the value of hard work"
    antonyms: disbelief, doubt
Origin

Belief has no basis in fact it is more of a perception.

So the question becomes if there is no definitive proof for the existence of a god, where do Christos come off basing a whole World on nothing, making wild claims to shape other people's lives including our bodies, the government, or education, etc.? Their beliefs are dangerous and controlling, killing thousands in the ME, marching Christos into wars based of some belief in nothing and slaughtering women and children. Shaping laws based on nothing to stop women's right to control her own body, but letting males do as they wish, all based on a vagina.

This belief system is what is wrong with all religions, and why Atheism is preferred logical thinking. One should have proof of the god system if you are murdering, controlling and manipulating other people based on nothing.

Do you believe that Jesus walked the earth?

Atheism is lack in believe

Religious yahoos want to define non believe with a term. What's the term for people who are unconvinced of alchemy? or astrology?

OK...I'll provide you with proof that atheists believe in things without evidence.

Richard Dawkins is a famous atheist...he doesn't believe in God, but he does believe it's possible that an advanced alien existence could explain intelligent design.

If he's right without evidence, then where did this alien existence come from?

It all had to start somewhere, or did it. Could eternity be another explanation? Some say time is only a concept..and I'm of the belief that you don't get something from nothing. I think that's as reasonable as anyone else's explanation.

Ben Stein vs. Richard Dawkins Interview

True that!!

Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of deities.[1][2][3][4] Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of belief that any deities exist.[5][6] In an even narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[1][2][7][8] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[9][10] which, in its most general form, is the belief that at least one deity exists.[10][11][12]

So pick your level

That's a fair argument...but atheists do believe in things that have not been proven...that's the point of my thread.

I'm not knocking anyone...just stating a fact that atheists do operate on beliefs sometimes.

States With The Highest Percentage Of Atheists

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/states-with-the-most-atheism-in-america.html

• View information as a:
  • List
  • Chart
Rank State % of Nonreligious Citizens 1 Vermont 56.3 % 2 Maine 51.1 % 3 New Hampshire 49.2 % 4 Massachusetts 46.0 % 5 Washington 43.7 % 6 Oregon 43.4 % 7 Alaska 42.7 % 8 Hawaii 41.0 % 9 Rhode Island 41.0 % 10 Colorado 40.6 % 11 Connecticut 40.4 % 12 Nevada 39.7 % 13 California 37.8 % 14 Montana 37.8 % 15 New York 37.1 % 16 Wyoming 35.1 % 17 Idaho 34.8 % 18 Minnesota 34.2 % 19 Arizona 33.8 % 20 Wisconsin 32.7 % 21 Illinois 32.6 % 22 New Jersey 32.5 % 23 Pennsylvania 32.5 % 24 South Dakota 31.9 % 25 Michigan 31.6 %

This is your belief.

Atheism means non believe

End of story, Jeezus huffers

False...atheism is a non-belief in God or any god as it were.

Atheists do believe in things without evidence. Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong...but they do engage in belief.

I agree with Dawkins. There is more probability that there are intelligent aliens in this infinitely huge universe than there is in a creator deity.

Nonbelief in God is not at all the same thing as nonbelief in anything. Atheism is not Nihilism. All Nihilists are Atheists, but not all Atheists are Nihilists.

We all act based on beliefs. We turn the faucet believing that water will come out. We open the door and expect to see the front yard.

I agree with Dawkins. There is more probability that there are intelligent aliens in this infinitely huge universe than there is in a creator deity.

Nonbelief in God is not at all the same thing as nonbelief in anything. Atheism is not Nihilism. All Nihilists are Atheists, but not all Atheists are Nihilists.

We all act based on beliefs. We turn the faucet believing that water will come out. We open the door and expect to see the front yard.

"I agree with Dawkins. There is more probability that there are intelligent aliens in this infinitely huge universe than there is in a creator deity."

Then where did the aliens come from...a sudden puff of air or something?

Here's an interesting twist that I have heard...and you probably have too.

Scientists believe that somethings deviate from math, physics, and probability.

Which would mean that we don't yet have the knowledge or technology that would allow us to define some things.

Do you believe that Jesus walked the earth?

If you are referring to the "Jesus" born of virgin Mary mentioned in a black book, no. Was there a guy named Jesus crucified on a cross? No. I used to know a guy named Jesus, so named by his parents, so yes, Jesus walked the Earth. In the claimed period of the crucifixion there were thousands being slain into martyrdom, some say as many as 500 a day, so there were plenty of guys name Jesus. There are also similarities between the story of Jesus and the story of many religious figures such as Adonis, Attis, Dionysus, Krishna, Mithras, and Osiris, the miracle birth, a death for the benefit of mankind and the glorious resurrections.

Be back.