Coal Miners Tell A Different Story to Tramp

shintao

President-elect Donald Trump has promised to "save" America's coal country and put long-suffering miners back to work.

But a top coal executive Robert Murray knows the daunting challenges facing his industry won't go away simply because Trump won.

"I've suggested to Mr. Trump that he temper his expectations," Murray told CNNMoney. The 76-year-old CEO of Murray Energy, the largest U.S. private coal miner, said he spoke to Trump about this issue both before and after the election. Murray acknowledges the rise of natural gas, he more directly blames coal's demise on Obama.

The industry pressures have forced Murray Energy to aggressively cut jobs. Most of the 400 workers at Murray Energy's Ohio Valley Coal subsidiary lost their jobs in November when the division shut down due to depleted coal reserves and the struggling coal market.

Hundreds of coal workers sent an open letter on Thursday to Trump demanding "action that will bring relief to coal communities."

Specifically, the coal workers called for legislation to protect miners' health and retirement benefits and to pay for the retraining of workers.

The coal workers also called out coal CEOs and execs for continuing to "reap multi-million dollar bonuses" even while slashing jobs and proposing cuts to pensions.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/16/investing/trump-coal-jobs-murray-energy/index.html?iid=ob_article_footer

"he more directly blames coal's demise on Obama"

another reason Obama is so popular...I'm really going to miss him, he's been a great Prez, despite all the republKan Obstruction at every turn to help America

No doubt about it....its a rightwing Industry

The coal workers also called out coal CEOs and execs for continuing to "reap multi-million dollar bonuses" even while slashing jobs and proposing cuts to pensions.

The coal industry is dead---lost out to the natural gas and alternate energy. The power company that supplies my area of the state recently announced they are switching to natural gas. Also wind power generates a third of the power in my state.