Beef Heart

Here's what I'd do:

Cut it up into largish single serving steak-shaped pieces (8 to 10 oz), remove any sinew or veins you find. Marinate, or maybe brine it for 24 to 48 hours. If you brine, soak it three times afterwards, for 10 minutes at a time, to get rid of excess salt.

Spice it - lightly - with a mix of garlic powder, ground coriander seed, black pepper, and a small amount of cumin. (If you didn't brine, or if your marinade had no salt, include a little sea salt here.)

Then cook it. I'd prefer outdoor grilling, but it may be too cold where you are. (I'm in Florida. It was 85° yesterday. :D) On the stovetop, you could fry it like steak in a Lodge cast iron grill pan. Like this:

L8SGP3_L.jpg

We just pressure cook them and cut them into cubes with home made egg noodles and mashed potatoes

My pressure cooker exploded; actually the gasket on the pressure relief valve blew out ( WW2 ) vintage. Gotta find a new gasket.

Here's what I'd do:

Cut it up into largish single serving steak-shaped pieces (8 to 10 oz), remove any sinew or veins you find. Marinate, or maybe brine it for 24 to 48 hours. If you brine, soak it three times afterwards, for 10 minutes at a time, to get rid of excess salt.

Spice it - lightly - with a mix of garlic powder, ground coriander seed, black pepper, and a small amount of cumin. (If you didn't brine, or if your marinade had no salt, include a little sea salt here.)

Then cook it. I'd prefer outdoor grilling, but it may be too cold where you are. (I'm in Florida. It was 85° yesterday. :D) On the stovetop, you could fry it like steak in a Lodge cast iron grill pan. Like this:

L8SGP3_L.jpg

I believe I'll try your recipe - - - it's been frozen until I located a manageable recipe. The grandkids were impressed - - - never saw one before.

I believe I'll try your recipe - - - it's been frozen until I located a manageable recipe. The grandkids were impressed - - - never saw one before.

Cool! Let us know how it went.

How old are the grandkids? They'll probably tweet their friends "You know what we ate? Grandpa is so weird!"

If you brine you can use less salt than on-line recipes if you use more sugar: per gallon of water, I use 1/2 cup kosher salt and 1 cup white sugar, dissolved. And lots of garlic. :D

Today - - - US Senate bean soup. Many online recipes; but the best one is from Herter's Bull Cook recipe book.

We butchered just two months ago

14956590_1315879171769575_57235647614972

I know my grandmother always soaked tongue - heart - kidneys in cold salt water for a bit. Helps get any clots out.

Pig brains & scrambled eggs. Childhood memories. Tripe - scrapple - souse.

Pig brains & scrambled eggs. Childhood memories. Tripe - scrapple - souse.

I've had calf brains a few times, and they were ok, but I wasn't that keen on them.

Tripe: love it Chinese style. My wife likes German saure kutteln = sour tripe, cooked with vinegar.

I never had scrapple. What is it?

I think souse is the same as German sulze, which is p'chah in Yiddish. I love that, and haven't had it since 2002, in Tel Aviv. (The Jewish version is made with beef or veal instead of pork. Jellied, with "floating" hard boiled egg halves. And garlic. :))

I don't eat organs: liver, kidneys, brain, none of that

I only eat muscle/ flesh

Liver can be really good. Beef liver fried with bacon and onions, a staple of old-school diners. Jewish chopped chicken liver on rye bread with mustard. French-style liver paté, on crackers, with Belgian ale or sparkling wine.

Especially good for someone with an iron deficiency.

Nope. Not me

The liver contains all the toxins it filters out of the blood and I for one, ain't eating it!

Of course, if you hate the taste, that's one thing. But ...

It's all a matter of quantity and frequency. Just as 4 drinks a day is bad for your health, and 1 drink a day is good for your health, moderate consumption of liver is good for you. The link below says liver from grass-fed beef once a week is good.

I probably have liver of chicken or beef five or six times a year. I really never check what the animal ate. :)

Benefits of eating liver

So I'm not getting as much B12 from liver as they recommend, but I drink one unfiltered homebrew a day. Brewer's yeast: also a good source of B12. :D

Another reference link.