Why deny global warming?

Zaro

I get why Exxon would deny global warming. They have a vested interest, but what about the average global warming denier or skeptic. What's in it for them to close their eyes. I just don't get it

Great question Zaro! I don't understand it myself. The facts to me seem irrefutable. I have a good friend who studied meteorology who doesn't believe in human made climate change and I think it is based on other theories regarding the Earths changing orbit and the sun as well as very long term cycles that have existed from the Earth's ancient past. I think part of it has to do with how some folks are liberal and others are more conservative, but still the evidence is so great it is bothersome. At least with my friend we can discuss the issue without ether getting upset at the other.

That being said I do think people who make policy are the folks that need to change. The time to act is now and I think it's a win win for all if we do. Pollution itself is bad enough and that fact of the matter is that green energy will be a great source of jobs not just here but everywhere. I think it's a movement that will change the world for the better in the end. But we have to start soon!

Peace!

I don't get it either. I think it is a case of sticking your head in the sand and hope it goes away. That's not going to happen. At some point global warming will not be able to be reversed. Some in the scientific community think we may already have reached that point. I hope that is not the case for the sake of future generations.

I don't get it either. I think it is a case of sticking your head in the sand and hope it goes away. That's not going to happen. At some point global warming will not be able to be reversed. Some in the scientific community think we may already have reached that point. I hope that is not the case for the sake of future generations.

Indeed, it's the most crucial thing we need to focus on today! Again, it calls for all kinds of change, education, creation of jobs, reduction of waste as well as the true goal to slow down the harm that has already been done. I honestly believe it is the number one thing we can do to help all people in the world today. If we don't it will be the poorest nations that will suffer the most --- and it was not by their making either!

Peace!

For the average Conservative, with average science background, a lot of their denial stems from indoctrination by the Right Wing Noise Machine. It is the Cult of Ignorance and the glorification of self-indulgence, with denial of earthly consequences. This fits right in with the earliest scripture:

Genesis 1:28

God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

In addition, Conservatives are taught to respect money and power and the Fossil Fuel industries are right up there at the top. The fossil fuel industries REPRESENT power in the form of internal combustion machines that make civilization possible. Being Conservative, and tending to support the status quo, renewable sources of energy are seen as upstart industries which obviously don't have the power of fossil fuels for transportation, earth moving machines or tanks and fighter-jets.

Global Warming is very slow, winters are still cold, and the effects are not immediately obvious. So climate change is easy to deny.

Left leaning information outlets are puny compared to the army of talking heads that comprise the Right Wing Noise Machine.

For the average Conservative, with average science background, a lot of their denial stems from indoctrination by the Right Wing Noise Machine. It is the Cult of Ignorance and the glorification of self-indulgence, with denial of earthly consequences. This fits right in with the earliest scripture:

In addition, Conservatives are taught to respect money and power and the Fossil Fuel industries are right up there at the top. The fossil fuel industries REPRESENT power in the form of internal combustion machines that make civilization possible. Being Conservative, and tending to support the status quo, renewable sources of energy are seen as upstart industries which obviously don't have the power of fossil fuels for transportation, earth moving machines or tanks and fighter-jets.

Global Warming is very slow, winters are still cold, and the effects are not immediately obvious. So climate change is easy to deny.

Left leaning information outlets are puny compared to the army of talking heads that comprise the Right Wing Noise Machine.

Unfortunately what you say here is true Bludog!

A gigantic issue is subsidy of fossil fuel over green energy that has been going on for several decades. They have politicians and giant oil lobby funded think tanks like the Manhattan Institute to name just one. Conservatives had a field day when Solyndra in Fremont, CA went out of business because they received something like 500 million in guaranteed loans from the federal government. The amount was so completely nominal considering the amount the government spends to subsidize fossil fuel, yet the right overplayed it so much it made me quite sick. Solyndra had some really nifty ideas but the Chinese went to town with the lowering of prices regarding silica photovoltaics. We need more government funding for projects like this not less.

We have now a lot of solar technology that can make a concrete difference and it is all sitting on the shelf. We need movement on storage and a new more efficient grid that is not so centralized, all of this is heavy in job creation and all of it needs sponsorship by the government to get the ball rolling. Too many people lose perspective when it comes to spending however, and this is all orchestrated behind the scenes by fossil fuel lobbyist and politicians who fail to see the forest through the trees.

Peace!

There just aren't many people left who deny climate change. I don't even know anyone who denies that humans are causing most of it. Instead, I run into people who ask questions like these:

- How much is due to natural factors?

- Is it more cost-effective to restrict emissions or adapt to a warmer planet?

- What's the right way to balance emission caps between 'rich' and 'developing' nations?

- What about using other technologies to cool the planet and counterbalance the effect of greenhouse gasses?

I can;t even think about this any more it gets me so worked up and is bad for my heart. This poor planet earth needs a reset. Too many people aren't respectful to mother earth, and they are too self absorbed to follow legislations that are only put in place to help. UUUGGH! I saw a neighbor dump a whole pan of used car oil in the ground the other day, WTF? When I called him on it, he said "It comes from the ground, I'm just putting it back where it came from." WHAT THE FUCK!!!

Sometimes in the back of my mind I wish I would get over my fear of guns and buy one just to start shooting all these dumb mother fuckers.

Exactly. The Cons are more concerned about paying 5 cents less per gallon of gas than to PAY 5 cents and save the planet. Al Gore had it right. We should have listened to him.

I can;t even think about this any more it gets me so worked up and is bad for my heart. This poor planet earth needs a reset. Too many people aren't respectful to mother earth, and they are too self absorbed to follow legislations that are only put in place to help. UUUGGH! I saw a neighbor dump a whole pan of used car oil in the ground the other day, WTF? When I called him on it, he said "It comes from the ground, I'm just putting it back where it came from." WHAT THE FUCK!!!

Sometimes in the back of my mind I wish I would get over my fear of guns and buy one just to start shooting all these dumb mother fuckers.

Although I share your aversion to your neighbor polluting our planet, I would not even for a second allow your mind to even consider using a gun. Once you start thinking this way, you begin to cross the threshold of how the average person the Right thinks. For them, guns are a way of solving problems. For us, we use our minds, our superior collective intellects and superior moral compasses to solve problems. Don't be like them.