Neofeudalism Has Arrived

skews13

Neofeudalism is a concept in which government policies are designed to systematically increase the wealth gap between rich and poor while increasing the power of the rich over the poor. It's a party-neutral idea. There is no cabal pushing the plan, merely the sum effect of pressure from the wealthy elite.

Those policies can be seen today. Just look at the fact that earned income are taxed at a higher rate than unearned income, and the repeal of the inheritance tax. Other ways are harder to measure but no less real, such as white collar criminals receiving slaps on the wrist, while the poor feel the full weight of the law.

It's a system with two sets of rules, one for the rich another one for the poor, and that is the definition of neofeudalism.

Another manifestation of neofeudalism is the growing power of corporations, that leave the poor dependent on private interests more powerful than the government, a situation resembling traditional feudal society.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/12/23/1613986/-Neofeudalism-has-arrived

Neofeudalism is a concept in which government policies are designed to systematically increase the wealth gap between rich and poor while increasing the power of the rich over the poor. It's a party-neutral idea. There is no cabal pushing the plan, merely the sum effect of pressure from the wealthy elite.

Those policies can be seen today. Just look at the fact that earned income are taxed at a higher rate than unearned income, and the repeal of the inheritance tax. Other ways are harder to measure but no less real, such as white collar criminals receiving slaps on the wrist, while the poor feel the full weight of the law.

It's a system with two sets of rules, one for the rich another one for the poor, and that is the definition of neofeudalism.

Another manifestation of neofeudalism is the growing power of corporations, that leave the poor dependent on private interests more powerful than the government, a situation resembling traditional feudal society.

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/12/23/1613986/-Neofeudalism-has-arrived

I agree with you. But many working people don't blame corporate interests or wealthy elites. They blame taxes that supposedly fund welfare for the underserving poor or disabled. They blame regulations they say hurt small business or push employers away. They don't think it's possible for government or politics to benefit working people. In this sense a lot of working class people are think like upper income suburban professionals and the wealthy. I believe in a populist economic message like that advocated by Senators Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts but there's no guarantee it will work.

• bullshit 1

I agree with you. But many working people don't blame corporate interests or wealthy elites. They blame taxes that supposedly fund welfare for the underserving poor or disabled. They blame regulations they say hurt small business or push employers away. They don't think it's possible for government or politics to benefit working people. In this sense a lot of working class people are think like upper income suburban professionals and the wealthy. I believe in a populist economic message like that advocated by Senators Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts but there's no guarantee it will work.

Not trying to derail this conversation but in all respect don't use pocohantas warren and bernie in the same sentence, she doesn't speak for all liberals, I can't stand her loud mouth.

It's become that way because of messaging. Bernie was a voice that tried to turn that around, and it was that messaging that was important. I just posted an article from the Nation in NHB that explains it.

We on the left can't become disillusioned because of the election. To the contrary, Trump and Republicans will, as they always do, prove why Bernie was as popular as he still is. We must continue the same campaign right through the Trump administration, that will make that message even more popular.

We either have to describe them as what they are, or they will continue filling that vacuum and describing themselves as the true message.

Bernie was more than a few days late and a dollar short to turn this thing around. The beginning of the end was Reagan. Now the system is way too entrenched to be dismantled by one election. The first ones to find that out will be Trump voters

started with Reagan, well sure, kind of at least. Was it also helped by Clinton, yeah. The Democrats do not have the backbone they need, Bernie ran as a Democrat in name only. KB stated that too many people don't see how the corporations wield too much power, and I'm with that sentiment completely.

Overall great points made by Skews13! The system is rigged and the rigging is deeply embedded in the politics, the media and now most of the peasants, but not us. In fact, a lot of people feel this way even if they don't understand macroeconomics or have not followed all the laws and policy flaws that are built to protect the wealthy.

There's always been this myth that the rich robber barons with their ingenuity and creative bending of the rules create somehow a better life for all. That it somehow lifts all boats. There are a whole boat load of myths out there regarding race, education, wages, etc.... And all of this is almost impossible to overcome in one election cycle. So we have to move on, 2018 and then the next. The fight is ongoing, the game is not anywhere close to even beginning.

We must commend Bernie Sanders and push forward folks!

Peace!

started with Reagan, well sure, kind of at least. Was it also helped by Clinton, yeah. The Democrats do not have the backbone they need, Bernie ran as a Democrat in name only. KB stated that too many people don't see how the corporations wield too much power, and I'm with that sentiment completely.

Overall great points made by Skews13! The system is rigged and the rigging is deeply embedded in the politics, the media and now most of the peasants, but not us. In fact, a lot of people feel this way even if they don't understand macroeconomics or have not followed all the laws and policy flaws that are built to protect the wealthy.

There's always been this myth that the rich robber barons with their ingenuity and creative bending of the rules create somehow a better life for all. That it somehow lifts all boats. There are a whole boat load of myths out there regarding race, education, wages, etc.... And all of this is almost impossible to overcome in one election cycle. So we have to move on, 2018 and then the next. The fight is ongoing, the game is not anywhere close to even beginning.

We must commend Bernie Sanders and push forward folks!

Peace!

Old Barn I think you make a good point about the long term struggle ahead. We might have to go to 2024. If we start building an electoral and activist infrastructure we can win at the local, state, and maybe the national level. No matter what we should keep speaking out and organizing.

• bullshit 1

That is the value of the corporate propaganda. They say these lies over and over to their benefit and to the benefit of the very very rich. There are regulations that hurt small businesses. They are put in place by large businesses to prevent competition and when government talks about reducing regulations, they mean for the big business, and they make it even worse for the small businesses. Welfare is mostly for the very rich, with massive subsidies for large corporations. But they reduce welfare for the poor. Of course it doesn't help the debt when they take the pennies from the poor and give millions to the rich. Government policies can help working people, as demonstrated by many of FDR's programs. The GOP has been fighting against those policies since before they were implemented. I suggest the populist messages have been demonstrated to work, making the USA the most powerful nation in the world. The GOP policies are turning the US into a third world nation.

Old Barn I think you make a good point about the long term struggle ahead. We might have to go to 2024. If we start building an electoral and activist infrastructure we can win at the local, state, and maybe the national level. No matter what we should keep speaking out and organizing.

Unless we can recapture the right to have our votes counted this becomes impossible. Ignoring the hacking putting Trump in office means future hacking is all the more probable.

That is the value of the corporate propaganda. They say these lies over and over to their benefit and to the benefit of the very very rich. There are regulations that hurt small businesses. They are put in place by large businesses to prevent competition and when government talks about reducing regulations, they mean for the big business, and they make it even worse for the small businesses. Welfare is mostly for the very rich, with massive subsidies for large corporations. But they reduce welfare for the poor. Of course it doesn't help the debt when they take the pennies from the poor and give millions to the rich. Government policies can help working people, as demonstrated by many of FDR's programs. The GOP has been fighting against those policies since before they were implemented. I suggest the populist messages have been demonstrated to work, making the USA the most powerful nation in the world. The GOP policies are turning the US into a third world nation.

Unless we can recapture the right to have our votes counted this becomes impossible. Ignoring the hacking putting Trump in office means future hacking is all the more probable.

Good point Don Joe. We need to fight laws that make it harder to vote and get money out of politics. However I would not go as far to eliminate the electoral college.

• bullshit 1

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely right. The most pernicious manifestation of this for me is the transformation of the U.S. mass media into non-stop propaganda. The telescreens are here - they're just not spying on you yet.

The groundwork was laid in the Reagan administration and Bill Clinton finalized it by repealing the Fairness Doctrine. The devastating result, today, is the prevalence of Right Wing talk radio, Fixed News, and media domination by a small group of Right Wing corporations.

Obviously, under Trump and the Right Wing dominated congress, a return of the Fairness Doctrine has no chance. But, when the pendulum swings, it is absolutely imperative to restore the Fairness Doctrine. If we do not, the Right Wing Noise Machine will continue to deceive the voting public, sowing fear and confusion. A return of the Fairness Doctrine would go far to restore a sane balance in government, again.