Song for the Scapegoats of the Stupid

laripu

I posted this in NHB, but this is a better place, I think.

The workers who lost their jobs,

And stopped their search, no longer care,

They didn't lose their jobs to China.

They lost their jobs to modernity and software.

The doors of Commerce will be closed

Until they get a saleable degree.

Until they get a marketable skill,

They'll scapegoat blacks, and Mexicans, and me.

Their orange savior will betray.

It's happened many times in history.

Then, instead of blaming billionaires

--------------------------------------------------

I'm the author of that poem: a liberal Jew with two math degrees and 30 years of software experience and I've never been unemployed since I entered the workforce.

Same thing as gloating 'I got mine'. Now you get yours. It's easy. Look at me.

It wasn't easy. It was hard. It still is. The stress I have every day at work, doing things that I'm not certain can be done, because they haven't ever been done before, that's huge stress.

Working 60 hour weeks of midnight shifts at customer sites (because the customer gets the machines 8AM to 8PM) all over the world, away from my wife, pets, and home - that's not easy either. Luckily that's only about a month per year, on average.

It's not about gloating. It's about people who haven't kept up with the times (for whatever reason) voting for Trump and blaming blacks, Mexicans and Jews. I've seen the swastikas and signs saying "make America white again".

I feel that the second verse bothers you. But it's true: The jobs that used to exist no longer do. The better jobs today require more training, and more education than those of 50 years ago.

What should they do about it? Organize into unions, educate themselves so they're better qualified, take any job offered and do it better while selling themselves.

What they shouldn't do is blame blacks, Mexicans, and Jews: which is the traditional thing.

In fact automation and software are reducing the total number of jobs while the population grows.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it appears like you agree with the first verse.

I do agree with the first verse but it needs an addition to say that automation and software are reducing the total number of jobs available. Even jobs that require education. For instance, the job destroying effect of products like Freshbooks and TurboTax on the field of accounting. Another example is writing:-- Data oriented subjects like sports and finance are increasingly computer-written. Watson, the computer that won the world Jeopardy championship is now the world's best medical diagnostician. And the list goes on.

So it's not just unskilled jobs that are in danger. Sure, workers are needed to help design and build the computers; Enter and retrieve data. But the gross effect is a reduction in the number of ALL workers, including many highly skilled ones. Your job or mine could be next, in part or total ... Either way, it means the overall number of workers is reduced.

Of course people SHOULDN'T blame all this job reduction by automation on other groups that don't look like them or share exactly the same culture, religion or sexual orientation. Education can help with that. But demagogues will always try to exploit people by driving wedges between factions ... It works better in hard times. And beyond that are Ayn Rand type cults that tout the supremacy of Number One and to hell with everyone else.

Getting training in a new skill is easier said than done, especially after 50. People with families find it hard too. And there's the risk that after the training is completed, the new skill will have been largely supplanted by software and/or automation.

I do agree with the first verse but it needs an addition to say that

I wrote a song. You wrote an essay.

There's nothing wrong with your essay, but a song can't support that kind of complexity.

A song can only have a simple point. In this case that is: Trump told American workers that their unemployment is the fault of Mexicans (scapegoat #1), instead of their own inability to adapt to the new economy. He will betray their desires for a mythical prosperous white America. When he betrays them, they won't blame him, and they will need a scapegoat, just like before and before and before. The scapegoats will be the usual ones... blacks and Jews, as shown by swastikas and "make America white" grafitti.

That's a long-winded explanation. I like the song better.

There's a lot of dumb racist people out there. I'd bet that the frequency of job loss among dumb racists is far higher than among smart tolerant people.

"John Barleycorn" is a British folksong. The character of John Barleycorn in the song is a personification of the important cereal crop barley and of the alcoholic beverages made from it, beer and whisky. In the song, John Barleycorn is represented as suffering attacks, death and indignities that correspond to the various stages of barley cultivation, such as reaping and malting.

John Barleycorn Must Die

- Traffic

There were three men came out of the west, their fortunes for to try
And these three men made a solemn vow
John barleycorn must die
They've plowed, they've sown, they've harrowed him in
Threw clods upon his head
And these three men made a solemn vow
John barleycorn was dead

They've let him lie for a very long time, 'til the rains from heaven did fall
And little sir john sprung up his head and so amazed them all
They've let him stand 'til midsummer's day 'til he looked both pale and wan
And little sir john's grown a long long beard and so become a man
They've hired men with their scythes so sharp to cut him off at the knee
They've rolled him and tied him by the way, serving him most barbarously
They've hired men with their sharp pitchforks who've pricked him to the heart
And the loader he has served him worse than that
For he's bound him to the cart

They've wheeled him around and around a field 'til they came onto a pond
And there they made a solemn oath on poor john barleycorn
They've hired men with their crabtree sticks to cut him skin from bone
And the miller he has served him worse than that
For he's ground him between two stones

And little sir john and the nut brown bowl and his brandy in the glass
And little sir john and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
The huntsman he can't hunt the fox nor so loudly to blow his horn
And the tinker he can't mend kettle or pots without a little barleycorn

Trump is an orange bastard.

But is he right on the particulars of NAFTA, in that it results in a trade imbalance? Other Countries with weaker currencies (meaning lower wages) and lower business tax rates have been luring our businesses offshore for many years.

This was how he sold himself to Union blue collar workers

Trump is an orange bastard.

But is he right on the particulars of NAFTA, in that it results in a trade imbalance? Other Countries with weaker currencies (meaning lower wages) and lower business tax rates have been luring our businesses offshore for many years.

This was how he sold himself to Union blue collar workers

Orange sleezus will sell us out to Russian interests, and to racist organizations like the kkk and alt-right, lynching will become commonplace like Xmas decorations.

I posted this in NHB, but this is a better place, I think.

The workers who lost their jobs,

And stopped their search, no longer care,

They didn't lose their jobs to China.

They lost their jobs to modernity and software.

The doors of Commerce will be closed

Until they get a saleable degree.

Until they get a marketable skill,

Their orange savior will betray.

It's happened many times in history.

Then, instead of blaming billionaires

--------------------------------------------------

I'm the author of that poem: a liberal Jew with two math degrees and 30 years of software experience and I've never been unemployed since I entered the workforce.

Excellent work my friend, but I'm dismayed that you didn't capitalize the word "blacks". Since you're referring to "Blacks" as a racial group, the word must be capitalized. I'm sure this was an unintentional oversight but to leave this uncorrected is a grave insult to one of the great cultures in American society.

I feel your poem is excellent and will spread like wildfire, so please fix this before the Cons catch on to it!!!

Excellent work my friend, but I'm dismayed that you didn't capitalize the word "blacks". Since you're referring to "Blacks" as a racial group, the word must be capitalized. I'm sure this was an unintentional oversight but to leave this uncorrected is a grave insult to one of the great cultures in American society.

The decision not to capitalize was conscious, and based on the usage of black writers. Click here for an example. This writer calls herself a "black American" and doesn't like Afro-American. I'm sure you can find writers that support any viewpoint at all; there's diversity of opinion in any large enough grouping of people.

I agree that it ought to be capitalized for the reasons you have, but I'll follow standard usage as defined by black people.

The decision not to capitalize was conscious, and based on the usage of black writers. Click here for an example. This writer calls herself a "black American" and doesn't like Afro-American. I'm sure you can find writers that support any viewpoint at all; there's diversity of opinion in any large enough grouping of people.

I agree that it ought to be capitalized for the reasons you have, but I'll follow standard usage as defined by black people.

I'm somewhat perplexed by your response while I agree with the text, I am perplexed to your subliminal user image. Simian images are used by alt-right types and you should consider changing such a malicious image IMHO.

I'm somewhat perplexed by your response while I agree with the text, I am perplexed to your subliminal user image. Simian images are used by alt-right types and you should consider changing such a malicious image IMHO.

Here's the story behind that image:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_selfie

The macacque that snapped the pic looked curious and intelligent to me and I liked the image.

You're right that simian images are used by alt-right racists, but they use those images to slur black people. I'm using the image to represent myself. I think he's a cute monkey. (Some days, I think of myself that way. ;))

I'm not frightened of my own shadow. I know who I am, and I know my own serious limitations. If someone wants to take me down because of an image or a capitalization, I say "have at it - enjoy!". Because in 40 short years, or sooner, I'll be insect poop.

Here's the story behind that image:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_selfie

The macacque that snapped the pic looked curious and intelligent to me and I liked the image.

You're right that simian images are used by alt-right racists, but they use those images to slur black people. I'm using the image to represent myself. I think he's a cute monkey. (Some days, I think of myself that way. ;))

I'm not frightened of my own shadow. I know who I am, and I know my own serious limitations. If someone wants to take me down because of an image or a capitalization, I say "have at it - enjoy!". Because in 40 short years, or sooner, I'll be insect poop.

Don't want to tear down our own, but build us up together. Monkey references actually just piss me off in a personal way. Partially because I don't like human exploitation of animals as a gains financially unless it's for sole purpose of consumption, or do I like degrading humans as animals. Farmers actually raise animals for human consumption but you never hear of a monkey farmer, animals kept in captivity for pictures are definitely breaking the rules of nature. I disapprove places like sea world, horse racing and such, except for those who keep animals for work, pleasure, and to eat.

Don't want to tear down our own, but build us up together.

I like that. :)

Monkey references actually just piss me off in a personal way.

Ok. For myself, as long as they're not used to denigrate humans, I like monkey images.

One thing that really pisses me off is to read that Michelle Obama was referred to as an "ape in heels". What kind of trash writes that, or even thinks it?

Farmers actually raise animals for human consumption but you never hear of a monkey farmer, animals kept in captivity for pictures are definitely breaking the rules of nature.

To the best of my knowledge, no monkeys were held captive or harmed for that picture. According to the story, the monkey was curious and somehow managed to take the picture itself. An interesting story if you read the Wikipedia page.

Good to know laripu, I find it hard to hate animals but more easily to hate other humans. Especially lowlives with dangerous pit bulls that's a mix of fire and gunpowder.

The problem is lowlife idiots.

Pit bulls and Staffordshires are really nice dogs. They're affectionate, and good with kids. The problem is that idiots train them to be fighting dogs.

If you trained a golden retriever to be a fighting dog, you'd have the same problem.

No doubt that some of Trump voters are just plain old stupid. But for most is must have been more desperation than stupidity. Desperation to put their hopes on such an obvious fraud.

Not really sure who else you think is a fraud, but hillary and bill are two of the biggest puppets in all of politics. The true blue liberals who cry tears for humanity wouldn't have choose this pant suited mouthpiece with a coin slot for a mouth. In my younger years I considered myself a green party voter and changed my views after shrub screwed us with the dems help. The only things that steered me more to the dems was their blood thirst to kill off all those pedophile god worshiping camel jockeys. One thing I tilt my hat to trump is that he hopefully he nukes the middle east off the planet.

The only things that steered me more to the dems was their blood thirst to kill off all those pedophile god worshiping camel jockeys. One thing I tilt my hat to trump is that he hopefully he nukes the middle east off the planet.

Dropping nukes anywhere, on anybody, would be suicidal. At the very least, it would poison the planet including us. It could easily trigger large scale nuclear war; a nuclear winter; worldwide depopulation; and a descent into barbarism, if anyone is left.

The first and last nukes intentionally dropped on human beings were at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Even if it saved American lives, we still have to live with that guilt. At that time, nobody else had nukes to retaliate. Now, the nuclear club makes the world a much more dangerous place. Let humanity not destroy itself.

Blu dogs I understand that and wish it really wouldn't come down to that, but if it's us vs them in the end I say nuke the shit out of those Neanderthals living in caves with 10 wives. You can't be oblivious to the fact they are killng people though out Europe the Middle East and in gay clubs here. These barbarians can't be changed look at Middle East in constant term oil. I have far more in common with other religions than I do with Islam, such as their views on homosexuality. I may not agree with homosexuality, but I wouldn't throw homo off a building, or stone a rape victim like it's dodge ball.

I understand your point of view but must respectfully disagree. Even if some Black folks are OK with the lower-cased word "black", I'm not. Why? Because African Americans (or Black Americans) would be the only racial group that is specifically NOT capitalized. Maybe I'm wrong, but for the time being, I think I'll keep capitalizing the word "Black" when referring to a race of people.