Trump may be/ have been violating campaign spending regs

merrill

By Steve Benen

The first time Donald Trump’s reliance on private security drew real scrutiny came in March. The Republican candidate was hosting a rally in North Carolina, where Trump urged his followers to raise their hand and take an oath to support his campaign, but while this bizarre pledge was unfolding, undercover “private intelligence officers” moved through the crowd, looking for potential protestors.
A member of Trump’s private security team later told reporters that he and his colleagues were doing “intelligence work” while “assisting” law-enforcement personnel. By September, the then-candidate had reportedly spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on private security, even after Trump received protection from the U.S. Secret Service.
After the election, I had largely assumed these practices would end. Then I read this unsettling Politico article.
President-elect Donald Trump has continued employing a private security and intelligence team at his victory rallies, and he is expected to keep at least some members of the team after he becomes president, according to people familiar with the plans.

The arrangement represents a major break from tradition. All modern presidents and presidents-elect have entrusted their personal security entirely to the Secret Service, and their event security mostly to local law enforcement, according to presidential security experts and Secret Service sources.

The piece added that Trump has “opted to maintain an aggressive and unprecedented private security force,” even now, more than a month after he became president-elect.
Jonathan Wackrow, a former Secret Service agent who worked on President Obama’s protective detail during the 2012 campaign, told Politico, “It’s playing with fire.” Wackrow added that such a dynamic – having a private security team working events with Secret Service simultaneously – “increases the Service’s liability, it creates greater confusion and it creates greater risk.”
I can appreciate why some tire of the “this is not normal” description of Trump’s behavior, but this is not normal. There is no modern precedent for a president-elect accepting Secret Service protection and maintaining a private security detail.
How this might work in the White House is not at all clear, though Politico’s piece noted that Keith Schiller, Trump’s longtime director of private security, “is expected to become a personal White House aide who would serve as the incoming president’s full-time physical gatekeeper.”
Trump’s authoritarian instincts have long been one of the scariest aspects of his rise to power. His embrace of a private security force isn’t helping matters.

Like trump some of you believe laws and regulations were designed to be broken.....

I for one am genuine if Trump is in violation of campaign spending laws.

I am curious about use of private security sent out to seek possible anti Trump visitors based on what and would also want to know if that is legal. After all the event was open to the public .....

Like trump some of you believe laws and regulations were designed to be broken.....

I am curious about use of private security sent out to seek possible anti Trump visitors based on what and would also want to know if that is legal. After all the event was open to the public .....

DEMOCRATS BREAK ALL THE RULES,,, I AM PROUD OF TRUMP IF HE BROKE RULES ITS TIME WE FOUGHT FIRE WITH FIRE

Show me, in either the article posted or the one linked to Politico, where there was a violation of campaign spending laws alleged?

Just a click-bait title.

NO ONE CARES

Show me, in either the article posted or the one linked to Politico, where there was a violation of campaign spending laws alleged?

Just a click-bait title.

Hint: try reading the part about "who is paying for the private security detail".

By Steve Benen

The first time Donald Trump’s reliance on private security drew real scrutiny came in March. The Republican candidate was hosting a rally in North Carolina, where Trump urged his followers to raise their hand and take an oath to support his campaign, but while this bizarre pledge was unfolding, undercover “private intelligence officers” moved through the crowd, looking for potential protestors.

A member of Trump’s private security team later told reporters that he and his colleagues were doing “intelligence work” while “assisting” law-enforcement personnel. By September, the then-candidate had reportedly spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on private security, even after Trump received protection from the U.S. Secret Service.

After the election, I had largely assumed these practices would end. Then I read this unsettling Politico article.
President-elect Donald Trump has continued employing a private security and intelligence team at his victory rallies, and he is expected to keep at least some members of the team after he becomes president, according to people familiar with the plans.

The arrangement represents a major break from tradition. All modern presidents and presidents-elect have entrusted their personal security entirely to the Secret Service, and their event security mostly to local law enforcement, according to presidential security experts and Secret Service sources.

The piece added that Trump has “opted to maintain an aggressive and unprecedented private security force,” even now, more than a month after he became president-elect.

Jonathan Wackrow, a former Secret Service agent who worked on President Obama’s protective detail during the 2012 campaign, told Politico, “It’s playing with fire.” Wackrow added that such a dynamic – having a private security team working events with Secret Service simultaneously – “increases the Service’s liability, it creates greater confusion and it creates greater risk.”

I can appreciate why some tire of the “this is not normal” description of Trump’s behavior, but this is not normal. There is no modern precedent for a president-elect accepting Secret Service protection and maintaining a private security detail.

How this might work in the White House is not at all clear, though Politico’s piece noted that Keith Schiller, Trump’s longtime director of private security, “is expected to become a personal White House aide who would serve as the incoming president’s full-time physical gatekeeper.”

Trump’s authoritarian instincts have long been one of the scariest aspects of his rise to power. His embrace of a private security force isn’t helping matters.

I honestly HOPE that your liberrhoids hold an open convention someday that ALL can attend.

I will be there for SURE!!

I want to satisfy my OWN curiosity as to HOW THE HELL do you liberrhoids BREATH with your HEADS SHOVED THAT FAR UP YOUR OWN ASSES!!!

The arrangement represents a major break from tradition.

I get a HUGE kick out of all you "progressive" Liberals complaining about Trump "not following tradition"

it's almost like you have suddenly turned conservative with your desire to keep the status quo

Hint: try reading the part about "who is paying for the private security detail".

Psssst. Hint.....

It's NOT the taxpayer, but COULD be the campaign, Of which that is considered a LEGITIMATE AND LEGAL Campaign's use of their money.

You should get the Candidates Guide to Federal Election Finance Laws. ( http://fec.gov/law/feca/feca.pdf )

When you have READ IT, get back to us. We'll wait right here!!

Trump will be another supply side economic Reagan,Bush,Clinton and Bush ......... = very traditional anti american libertarian = looking to steal more money from the people.

An audit of his expenditures would be necessary to determine if campaign funds were spent for that high dollar private security. Probably trained by Ze = no law enforcement background.

Trump will be another supply side economic Reagan,Bush,Clinton and Bush ......... = very traditional anti american libertarian = looking to steal more money from the people.

An audit of his expenditures would be necessary to determine if campaign funds were spent for that high dollar private security. Probably trained by Ze = no law enforcement background.

Pssst.

MORON.

You can get the Campaign Disclosures right on the fec.gov website.

They file a complete accounting of their contributions, expenditures, etc. just like ALL campaigns for Federal Office files. You are WELCOME to download any report you want and view it to your hearts content. THAT is the same "audit" you want, IS audited fully by the FEC once filed.

Wow. Trump wanting a long time trusted security person near him is now unconstitutional. lol-049.gif

Are you really so bereft of Trump outrages, that you have to invent stupidity like THIS?

Pssst.

MORON.

You can get the Campaign Disclosures right on the fec.gov website.

They file a complete accounting of their contributions, expenditures, etc. just like ALL campaigns for Federal Office files. You are WELCOME to download any report you want and view it to your hearts content. THAT is the same "audit" you want, IS audited fully by the FEC once filed.

is that so.... from a man who refuses to make certain tax documents available to the public. yes sir we have a real honest john on our hands.

So gloriously moronic

is that so.... from a man who refuses to make certain tax documents available to the public. yes sir we have a real honest john on our hands.

Are you willing to make your tax documents public? I didn't think so. I guess we have a real honest john on our hands.

After all, you wouldn't ask Trump to do something you wouldn't do yourself, right?

​Make Election Day a National Holiday - sign if you agree

Sen. Bernie Sanders has proposed a bill to designate "Democracy Day" as a national election holiday to make it easier for Americans to vote.

Nationwide, preliminary indications are that the total turnout for the 2014 elections was only 36.6 percent, according to the United States Elections Project at the University of Florida.

In America, we should be celebrating our democracy and doing everything possible to make it easier for people to participate in the political process. Election Day should be a national holiday so that everyone has the time and opportunity to vote. While this would not be a cure-all, it would indicate a national commitment to create a more vibrant democracy.

We should not be satisfied with a "democracy" in which more than 60 percent of our people don't vote and some 80 percent of young people and low-income Americans fail to vote. We can and must do better than that. While we must also focus on campaign finance reform and public funding of elections, establishing an Election Day holiday would be an important step forward.

Co-sponsor Bernie's bill to establish a "Democracy Day" national holiday.

READ BERNIE'S BILL

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/democracyday

THURSDAY, DEC 22, 2016 04:00 AM CST

Is Donald Trump a traitor? His path to the White House suggests a pattern of profound disloyalty There's a word for someone who colludes with a foreign power to subvert democracy and overthrow political norms

http://www.salon.com/2016/12/22/is-donald-trump-a-traitor-his-path-to-the-white-house-suggests-a-pattern-of-profound-disloyalty/?source=newsletter

THURSDAY, DEC 22, 2016 04:00 AM CST

Is Donald Trump a traitor? His path to the White House suggests a pattern of profound disloyalty There's a word for someone who colludes with a foreign power to subvert democracy and overthrow political norms

http://www.salon.com/2016/12/22/is-donald-trump-a-traitor-his-path-to-the-white-house-suggests-a-pattern-of-profound-disloyalty/?source=newsletter

bump

"COVER UP DONALD" LAME DOANLD TRUMP

A magazine called the Economist has an “intelligence unit” that has named a Donald J. Trump presidency as one of the top 10 greatest risks to global stability. Communist China and jihadi terrorism also made the list.

But rather than identify security risks based on subjective criteria and personal biases, the media should insist that the FBI be given the power to conduct a comprehensive background check on U.S. presidential candidates, and release those results to the American people.

We should know by now that politicians can lie and engage in cover-ups. Just look at the GOP Dennis Hastert hush-money and child abuse case. His cover-up went on for decades.

The American people have every right to insist that candidates be investigated by the FBI and that the results be disclosed publicly. Currently, candidates for federal office, including for the presidency and Congress, don’t have to go through background checks. Instead, the media are supposed to conduct inquiries for the benefit of the people. Too often they fail to do so.

Former FBI agent Max Noel has said the Bureau used to investigate candidates for federal employment—but not candidates for federal office—by analyzing Character, Associates, Reputation, and Loyalty to the United States. The first letters in those words make up the acronym CARL.

It’s never too late, however, to apply the CARL test to Donald J. Trump.

Trumps pro-Russian views and hiring of pro-Russian advisers have raised red flags in the national security community about whether he can be trusted to handle classified information. There’s also the matter of his mental abilities and intellectual prowess.

Trump may himself be a Trojan horse. He is not vetted by the FBI. He has produced some paperwork, such as a financial disclosure form, which was required by law but has not been audited for accuracy. He refuses to release his tax returns, using as an excuse that he is facing an IRS audit. Newsweek RECENTLY published a major article on his mobster connections. One has to assume there is much more damaging information.

The Washington Post is correct that Trump is every thing but transparent .

It has now been confirmed that Trump has 378 entities registeredin the state of Delaware, a legal maneuver that can be used to assure corporate secrecy and hide income. Hillary Clinton has taken advantage of the same loophole, but to a lesser extent.

Trump has released a “health record,” a laughable four-paragraph summary referring to his “astonishingly excellent” physical health.

With Trump, who has made the kind of money Hillary and Bill Clinton only dream about, not only do his tax returns remain private and his mobster ties generate controversy, his dealings with the old Soviet Union and Russia continue to remain a subject of deep concern. The Russians are ecstatic over the possibility that he will pull the plug on NATO and U.S. allies in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.

The implication is that the media gave Trump a free ride because they wanted him to be the Republican nominee.

Trump’s tax returns, ties to mobsters, and a relationship with Russian billionaire Aras Agalarov, an associate of Vladimir Putin, are all subjects that the American people have a right to know much more about.

He is “Cover-up Donald.”