More Jobs In Solar Than Oil, Gas, And Coal Combined, Up 6% In 2016

skews13

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjEs4ScsP7QAhUF94MKHTDDBgwQFggoMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgas2.org%2F2016%2F06%2F05%2Fjob-growth-solar-renewable-energy-sector-fossil-fuels%2F&usg=AFQjCNFM46TH1aaIXLkwk09c71jUIrXl9Q&sig2=Qrgs_uzUopoZZx96ymsJaQ

The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) based in Dubai has just released a report that says jobs in the solar and renewable energy sectors are increasing faster than employment opportunities in fossil fuel industry for the first time. It says 8.1 million people worldwide had jobs in the clean energy in 2015, up from 7.7 million in 2014, according to Bloomberg.

Renewable-Vs-Fossil-Jobs-Bloomberg-1024x

“The continued job growth in the renewable energy sector is significant because it stands in contrast to trends across the energy sector,” said Adnan Amin, director general of IRENA.

“This increase is being driven by declining renewable energy technology costs and enabling policy frameworks. We expect this to continue as the case for renewables strengthens and countries move to achieve climate targets.”

The group projects the workforce in clean energy will grow to 24 million by 2030 if United Nations targets are met on climate change and development.

Since 2012, the number of US solar jobs has increased by 75% to 210,000. Oil and gas extraction remained flat and coal mining jobs have decreased. The loss of jobs in the oil and gas industries has been driven by the steep drop in prices for those fuels. Government incentives have helped job creation in the solar industry.

China leads all other nations in creating new jobs in the clean energy sector. It added 65 gigawatts of renewable energy capacity last year. It now employs 35% more people in its clean energy industry than in oil and gas.

Other countries in Asia and Brazil are also boosting green energy employment. Most of those jobs in Brazil are concentrated in the biofuel industry. The clean energy sector’s global workforce is projected to jump to 24 million by 2030 from about 8.1 million last year.

The conventional wisdom among US political leaders is that renewable energy will destroy the US economy, throwing millions out of work and crashing the economy.

They are spouting the same arguments once used to defend whaling and the Conestoga wagon industry from new technologies.

Renewable energy will replace fossil fuels entirely in the foreseeable future and will bring millions of new job opportunities with it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, regulations shut down the other industries so why wouldn't solar have more jobs at maintaining failed equipment never producing what was estimated to happen.

then again with so many solar companies going belly up when was this audit done? Oh it that balanced budget 20 years from now mathematics of possibilities. as long as everyone obeys the rules here now.

Oh that power of suggestion through legislated morality and social justificaiton theories take priorioty over self evident results.

Solar is cool

I just want it all American made

My brother is an electrician like I am. He's on a solar farm build now in Minnesota.

$42 an hour, plus $120 a day per diem.

All the overtime they can handle. Well over 6 figures.

They're building them everywhere.

My nephew who recently graduated from college with a Bachelors, is working with my brother as an apprentice making $28 an hour, because of the availability of jobs in his degree, versus pay scale.

This isn't going to stop because Trump got elected, and no matter how much fracking gets started again if they relax regulations, isn't going to matter.

Oil is already headed up, and when gas gets to $5 again at the pump, none of those electricians are going too quit the solar jobs, to go back to the drillers that fucked them last time.

Those drilling jobs come and go, and aren't even competitive in pay anymore.

Fuck the oil companies. Solar farms are where it's at in high paying skilled trades right now.

1 / 9
THE BIG BUSINESSES EMBRACING RENEWABLE ENERGY

• 103987890-GettyImages-167869188.720x405.
    Andrea Kamal | Moment | Getty Images

Automaker General Motors and tech giant Apple have become some of the latest big companies to join RE100, a collaborative initiative made up of some of the planet's biggest businesses, all committed to renewable energy.

Here, CNBC's Sustainable Energy looks at a selection of the high-profile members of RE100, examining their green credentials and their plans for a clean energy future.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/21/the-big-businesses-embracing-renewable-energy.html?slide=1

What does the word "combined" mean in your world, skews?

It means the dumbasses who only know how to dig a ole in the ground, and get black shit on their nose for a living are a bunch of fucking losers.

That's what that means.

Now these losers can sit at home broke, because nobody needs a loser that only knows how to dig a hole in the ground.

Clinton, and Obama didn't take those guys jobs in West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

The fracking industry did.

And those jobs ain't coming back chucky.

Clinton, and Obama tried to tell those guys that, and offered assistance to train them, so they could get the jobs to make decent livings for themselves and their families, though it meant they may have to travel to where they are.

But they gave the President the finger, and voted against Clinton.

They can eat shit and die for all I care. Just means more jobs and better pay for guys like me.

What does the word "combined" mean in your world, skews?

It means the dumbasses who only know how to dig a ole in the ground, and get black shit on their nose for a living are a bunch of fucking losers.

That's what that means.

No, skews, the word "combined" means added together

As in 180,000 oil and gas jobs added to 190,000 coal mining jobs equals 370,000 "combined" jobs, which is certainly higher than the 210,000 solar jobs you're crowing about

IOW, you're a lying hack who is busted playing loose and fast with the facts again

If your position is honorable, why do you lie about it?

I would say that based on your past performance, that "solar" farm in Minnesota is really a wind farm

What is your problem with telling the truth?

Don't you realize yet that if your side only told the truth you'd have a better chance in the elections?

Since I burn wood ( totally free, & ya can't beat free ), I am using a renewable resource. I also get my coal for free.

However, there are much better things to do with ( in my area ) Anthracite coal than to burn it. It is critical in water purification.

My brother is an electrician like I am. He's on a solar farm build now in Minnesota.

My nephew who recently graduated from college with a Bachelors, is working with my brother as an apprentice making $28 an hour, because of the availability of jobs in his degree, versus pay scale.

This isn't going to stop because Trump got elected, and no matter how much fracking gets started again if they relax regulations, isn't going to matter.

Oil is already headed up, and when gas gets to $5 again at the pump, none of those electricians are going too quit the solar jobs, to go back to the drillers that fucked them last time.

Those drilling jobs come and go, and aren't even competitive in pay anymore.

Fuck the oil companies. Solar farms are where it's at in high paying skilled trades right now.

Solar farms are where it's at in high paying skilled trades right now..... renewable energy in general.

Solar farms are where it's at in high paying skilled trades right now..... renewable energy in general.

I was ( am ) a pipe fitter. I can give people safe - clean drinking water. I am a steward of thee most precious commodity on the planet.

I should be considered a living National Treasure.

I was ( am ) a pipe fitter. I can give people safe - clean drinking water. I am a steward of thee most precious commodity on the planet.

I should be considered a living National Treasure.

You think those pumps run on hampster wheels?

I'm the guy that keeps the lights and the heat on, so you can post about being a national treasure on the internet.

Your welcome.

And you are a national treasure. Somebody that takes a shower after work and doesn't have smooth hands like a girl.

There are some applications, like aviation, that, as a practical matter, still require fossil fuels. Other than those few, renewable sources of energy will continue to take market share away from the fossil fuel industry. Technologies for harnessing solar, wind, tidal and geothermal energy are constantly improving; While new sources of pure sweet crude become less accessible and more expensive to extract. The most accessible sources of fossil fuel like tar sands and coal, are the dirtiest and require the most refining.

There are some applications, like aviation, that, as a practical matter, still require fossil fuels. Other than those few, renewable sources of energy will continue to take market share away from the fossil fuel industry. Technologies for harnessing solar, wind, tidal and geothermal energy are constantly improving; While new sources of pure sweet crude become less accessible and more expensive to extract. The most accessible sources of fossil fuel like tar sands and coal, are the dirtiest and require the most refining.

Tractor trailers - railroad freight trains - cargo ships - luxury liners - military aircraft & vehicles.

There are several problems with solar, skews.

First, the subsidies.

Remove the subsidies and solar doesn’t look so attractive.

Spain dumped it’s renewable energy effort because it was literally destroying its economy.

Indeed, the Spain solar firm, Abengoa, announced bankruptcy in November 2015, when the company lost $1.3 billion dollars. It was the largest bankruptcy in Spain’s history. In a desperate attempt to keep the company going, they’ve sold off four solar photovoltaic plants in Europe and even sold the company’s office headquarters in Madrid … just to try and stay in business until December of this year. Abengoa’s stock price is now about 50 cents, down from 68 dollars in September 2015. And note that Obama invested billions in Abengoa, giving them nearly $3 billion in loans to build large scale solar power plants in the US. And how has that been going? In it’s second full year of operation, their Gila Bend Arizona plant is still producing only 75% of what was promised. And Arizona is now reevaluating their rate structure to more fairly impose the costs of solar on consumers. They plan to cut what they pay solar power installations to be more in line with the cost of conventional power plants electricity. From the looks of it, solar is about to collapse in Arizona.

And look at other examples. Germany’s solar power sector collapsed, starting back in 2012 with many of their biggest solar companies going bankrupt over the years since. And that’s with subsidies reaching as much as $240,000 per worker in the industry. Finally Germany has had enough. The Germans legislature recently voted to abandon most subsidies. Because of those subsidies, the average German has been paying 39 cents per kilowatt-hour compared 11 cents in the US, wrecking their economy. And the solar/wind solution in Germany has been very unreliable. Germans also admit that all that wind and solar they’ve installed has achieved the goal of actually reducing CO2 emissions … the reason for going green in the first place. In short, it’s been a big, costly bust and the Germans are finally acknowledging it.

And when the UK cut subsidies to solar early this year that market collapsed, as well. During February and March of 2015 about 81 MW of solar was installed. In the same period of this year, only 21 MW was installed. And that number was a plummet from the nearly 150 MW that was installed in the two previous months. And since them, the market hasn’t recovered. When they cut the subsidies, the solar companies started shedding employees … more than 12000 by early in the year … a THIRD of the industry jobs. SunEdison, a big US company, pulled out of the UK market saying that the cuts “will essentially eliminate the solar PV market.” And indeed, solar installation in the 2nd and third quarter of this year has only been 36% of what it was in 2015 (https://energydesk.greenpeace.org/2016/12/15/uk-solar-power-tax-explainer/ ).

And solar subsidies end in the US in December of this year. So I don’t think the future is as rosy as you claim, skews. Plus, even with the subsidies, solar hasn’t been doing very well in the US. Truth is that the big solar power companies have been and are headed towards bankruptcy. Sun Edison, for instance has more than $11 billion in debt now. Solar City, another big US company, has been losing money hand over fist. These companies may be installing lots of solar but they aren’t showing a profit. And sooner or later the piper is going to come calling.

Furthermore, even with subsidies, green energy costs jobs. A study done in Spain (http://instituteforenergyresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/090327-employment-public-aid-renewable.pdf ) showed that 2.2 jobs were lost in the economy for every new one in the green sector. Each green megawatt installed destroyed over 5 jobs elsewhere. And Spain was spending nearly a quarter million dollars on each green job. The same concern has been noted about jobs in California as Democrats irrationally push green in the state. A study in North Carolina found that green energy mandates would cost 50,000 jobs in the state by the end of the decade. And Germany has discovered that the vaunted green jobs disappear as soon as subsidies end.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjEs4ScsP7QAhUF94MKHTDDBgwQFggoMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgas2.org%2F2016%2F06%2F05%2Fjob-growth-solar-renewable-energy-sector-fossil-fuels%2F&usg=AFQjCNFM46TH1aaIXLkwk09c71jUIrXl9Q&sig2=Qrgs_uzUopoZZx96ymsJaQ

The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) based in Dubai has just released a report that says jobs in the solar and renewable energy sectors are increasing faster than employment opportunities in fossil fuel industry for the first time. It says 8.1 million people worldwide had jobs in the clean energy in 2015, up from 7.7 million in 2014, according to Bloomberg.

BingoLogo.png

https://charlierose.com/videos/29631?autoplay=true

See: 10:40