Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zaro

Can the dem party be an opposition party?

Obama dropped the ball when he didn't go after the Wall street gangsters who caused the 08 collapse. I would have loved to see Bushco held to account over the Iraq war but knew that that would never happen.

The message that resonates widely is stop the plunder of the American people. They wanna see some heads roll

I agree with the criticism of the Obama Administration with respect to the collapse (and allied financial misdeeds).

Those at the top who precipitated the financial crisis through fraud and criminal behavior should have been prosecuted. Was there a single executive who faced prison time over this? I don't know of one.

Even one like myself, who doesn't relish lobbing heads to delight the masses, knows that not acting against major criminality is corrosive to our national economy and our political/social contract.

I do think this was a failing. And not a small one.

Bill

That is because, imho, Obama has become part of the Washington establishment who makes sure that Wall Street always rakes it in.

He didn't start out that way, but has become an elitist over the last eight years. Thank goodness the TPP got shot down...

Frank~Dodd passed but that ain't the point. Nobody got punished. Trump ran a successful resentment campaign. Not that he's gonna go after some Wall street gangsters either, but that is what got peoples attention and they did exactly what he told em "what the fuck you got to lose" by giving me a shot. Turns out most likely their shirt, judging by his cabinet appointments. But this horse left the barn.

Dodd-Frank was a step in the right direction but anemic. What is needed is a modern version of Glass-Steagall.

Dodd-Frank was a step in the right direction but anemic. What is needed is a modern version of Glass-Steagall.

Yup. And people knew it. Fed up wih dem crumbs, they took a risk with Trump

Yup. And people knew it. Fed up wih dem crumbs, they took a risk with Trump

And PS, Trump is gonna repeal Dodd~Frank

The way our elections go, one party benefits grom the fuck ups of the other. Republicans obstructed Obama to reep the benefits. Not exactly as they hoped, Trump for sure wasn't what establishment conholes had hoped for. But Trump is a major fuck up waiting to happen. If that is the best the dems wanna bank on, fuck em.

Another thing. Due to demographic changes, this is most likely the last election the conholes gonna win. The dems know that and I hope they are smart enough not to bank on it.

I am not hopeful that the Democrats will put any opposition to the GOP plan to rape and pillage our nation. They have shown not intent to even have an investigation into the massive election fraud. Obama has admitted he knows the Russians hacked the election, but refuses to make any motion to redo the election. Letting the Russians select our president and members of congress with no reaction is not acceptable.

Further, when bush was running his criminal enterprise at the expense of the America people, the democrats never lifted a finger to even investigate the massive criminality.

The democrats have not demonstrated having a spine, and appear to duck and cover from the bully Trump.

The way our elections go, one party benefits grom the fuck ups of the other. Republicans obstructed Obama to reep the benefits. Not exactly as they hoped, Trump for sure wasn't what establishment conholes had hoped for. But Trump is a major fuck up waiting to happen. If that is the best the dems wanna bank on, fuck em.

I think it should work that way, but I don't see it. The GOP worked hard to make the government dysfunctional and messed up most functions. Now that they have done their damage, they ran on the government being messed up claiming they could fix it. They benefit from the mess they made. Further, any mess Trump creates will simply be blamed on the democrats.

Another thing. Due to demographic changes, this is most likely the last election the conholes gonna win. The dems know that and I hope they are smart enough not to bank on it.

There's no doubt:--- Older Conservatives and racists are being replaced by more Liberal youth. And the Nation is getting browner and more Democratic. For the last 30 years, before each Democratic loss, we've been told, by people who were supposed to know, that demographic changes would be the downfall of the Republicans. Yet, they've won, far more than Democrats; Now even putting into question whether the Democratic Party will go the way of the Whigs.

The Nations municipal governments, governors, state houses; Washington: The senate, house of representatives, and president; And soon, the Supreme Court :--- Are all heavily Republican dominated. The only thing worse would be that the few Democratic strongholds left would buckle and fall too.

The sad fact is that the corrupt Republicans have managed to corrupt many of their Democratic counterparts into taking bribes too. It has become common knowledge. And that has left the Nation with no clear choice .... So they took a chance with a hail Mary pass this time. There's too much money in politics, on both sides of the aisle. We need to get money out of politics, first on the Democratic side and then clean up all of government. Without that, greed will continue to reign supreme and the fortunes of the population will continue to deteriorate. Other countries have cleaned up government, and we can too.

I am not hopeful that the Democrats will put any opposition to the GOP plan to rape and pillage our nation. They have shown not intent to even have an investigation into the massive election fraud. Obama has admitted he knows the Russians hacked the election, but refuses to make any motion to redo the election. Letting the Russians select our president and members of congress with no reaction is not acceptable.

Further, when bush was running his criminal enterprise at the expense of the America people, the democrats never lifted a finger to even investigate the massive criminality.

The democrats have not demonstrated having a spine, and appear to duck and cover from the bully Trump.

I think it should work that way, but I don't see it. The GOP worked hard to make the government dysfunctional and messed up most functions. Now that they have done their damage, they ran on the government being messed up claiming they could fix it. They benefit from the mess they made. Further, any mess Trump creates will simply be blamed on the democrats.

You certainly offered up up opposition to Trump DonJoe.

That's some chutzpah.

You don't lift a finger, then propose an election be overturned?

People like you are dangerous to democracy.

Bill

You certainly offered up up opposition to Trump DonJoe.

That's some chutzpah.

You don't lift a finger, then propose an election be overturned?

People like you are dangerous to democracy.

Bill

You never do offer anything other than mudslinging.

Probably not, the D's don't seem to stand for much anymore, No fight in them.

Even cheney/bush treason the were always saying "Lets get along",

Fuck the dems

They had their chance and blew it

Fuck the dems

They had their chance and blew it

So what do you suggest?

I don't believe we should set up our party on an ideology of class-warfare, if that's what you mean.

An angry populist party of demagoguery is the last direction the Democratic party should take.

All the points you mentioned: healthcare, addressing wealth inequality, and affordable college are areas HRC would have championed. And she'd have provided the stability and liberal leadership that would have driven an economic expansion that would have benefited many millions of Americans.

We have a party that cares about the plight of the disadvantaged, it's the Democratic party.

Bill

The rightwing GOP effort to roll back government, cut entitlements, break unions, and replace public schools with charters is class warfare. It's the poor and working class who suffer from this regressive agenda. You have to have to be willing to say this and present alternatives. Things won't improve if we focus on merely protecting past achievements like Social Security and Medicare while trying to beat Republicans at deregulation and cutting taxes to benefit big business. That's Republican Lite ! As much as I like and admire President Obama and Hillary Clinton they both have failed to make the case for working people or propose bold polices. Bernie Sanders said the right things and had good ideas.

That is one of my biggest complaints against Obama. He did nothing about the massive criminality of the bush administration. There should have been a great many investigations and bush should have ended up in prison along with his host of co-conspirators; but Obama refused to act. He didn't even attempt to roll back hardly any of the bush agenda, bush wars, bush debt...

That is one of my biggest complaints against Obama. He did nothing about the massive criminality of the bush administration. There should have been a great many investigations and bush should have ended up in prison along with his host of co-conspirators; but Obama refused to act. He didn't even attempt to roll back hardly any of the bush agenda, bush wars, bush debt...

Exactly,

The dem party is usually a compromise party. Even if they have the majority they tend to move slightly to the right in an effort to achieve bipartisanship. When the conholes have a majority they go far right and don't give a shit about bipartisanship.

So now that we need a true opposition party I fear that we are fresh outa luck

The Clinton/DLC rightward shift effectively destroyed the Democratic party I remember from my youth -- a party that would fight for equal rights, fairness and justice. "Republican lite" is not going to be an opposition party. Major changes need to be made within the party but I don't see that happening. Any party that condones the corruption of Debbie Wassserman Schultz and her ilk needs to be torn down.

The Clinton/DLC rightward shift effectively destroyed the Democratic party I remember from my youth -- a party that would fight for equal rights, fairness and justice. "Republican lite" is not going to be an opposition party. Major changes need to be made within the party but I don't see that happening. Any party that condones the corruption of Debbie Wassserman Schultz and her ilk needs to be torn down.

Wrong on all fronts.

Bill Clinton was not on "the right" and, after devistating losses in 1968, 1972, 1980, 1984, and 1988, it was a boon to the Democratic party to win back-to-back elections behind one of the most popular and politically gifted Democrats of the modern era.

Democrats should not aim to be an "opposition party," but the ruling party.

Bill

Correct on all fronts: Bill Clinton did more to merge the Democratic Party with the Republicans than any President preceding him.

Clinton ended welfare, as we knew it.

Clinton ended Glass-Steagall

Following a Reagan 1987 decision Clinton eliminated the Fairness Doctrine, opening the way for right wing talk radio.

Clinton never went further than the investigation of Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols in the Oklahoma City bombings. This should have been an opening to investigate the right wing militias who were behind their indoctrination and training.

Clinton's weak, failed attempt at Health Care Reform.

Passed NAFTA and WTO initiatives.

I totally agree, Mountaineer. The Democratic Party needs to become the party of the working class again.....or they'll likely never win another election. Major changes are desperately needed. If the Democrats continue to be the party of Goldman Sachs and the wealthy elite, they'll wither and die.

I totally agree, Mountaineer. The Democratic Party needs to become the party of the working class again.....or they'll likely never win another election. Major changes are desperately needed. If the Democrats continue to be the party of Goldman Sachs and the wealthy elite, they'll wither and die.

The Democratic party is not the party of Goldman Sachs. These are false narratives being spun by a non-Democrat.

Bill

The Democratic party is not the party of Goldman Sachs. These are false narratives being spun by a non-Democrat.

Bill

So Hillary didn't give several 20-minute speeches for $675,000 apiece? So Goldman Sachs didn't contribute a king's ransom to her campaign? :huh: News to me......

I was a Democrat for over two decades. I only left because the party stopped representing me. As a liberal, I'm entitled to my opinion on the party I vote for more than any other. I want the party to make changes, not die off.

So Hillary didn't give several 20-minute speeches for $675,000 apiece? So Goldman Sachs didn't contribute a king's ransom to her campaign? :huh: News to me......

I was a Democrat for over two decades. I only left because the party stopped representing me. As a liberal, I'm entitled to my opinion on the party I vote for more than any other.

Non-Democrats don't get a say in the direction of our party. Sorry. You are entitled to Trump. Nothing else.

Bill