What are your thoughts on young American citizens protesting against presidential elect Trump on college campuses nationwide? I personally participated in a protest at Rutgers University yesterday where over a thousand people (students and faculty) came together to protest. I recorded some footage of the protest while I was there. Please skip through the footage before commenting your thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gru5zX5kYrs

CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW ABRIDGING THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE PEACEFULLY TO ASSEMBLE.

Your video showed an entirely peaceful protest and others around the Nation have been equally calm. Trump won the Electoral College and now people have the right to peacefully protest his election to president. Older people too! Even if Trump had won in a landslide instead of winning the Electoral College and losing in the popular vote, people should have the right to protest.

In my opinion, president Trump, is very dangerous for the United States and the entire world. He is not presidential material. Protests are an effective way to show disapproval. When Trump takes office and the Big Ripoff commences, continuing protests will be a constant reminder of his failure.

Dave Chappelle on recent activity in my old hometown:

I’ve never seen anything like it.

I haven’t seen whites this mad since the O.J. verdict.

White people screaming on both sides, “Aahhh!”

I’m not saying I’m enjoying it — I’m just saying I’ve never seen this before.

I watched a white riot in Portland, Ore., on television the other night.

News said they did a million dollars’ worth of damage.

Every black person was watching that like, “amateurs.”

Just a little levity...

We have had protests in Iowa also--middle schools, high schools, collages. In all cases they were peaceful. The students were exercising their 1st amendment rights. Now a Republican state Rep.Bobby Kaufmann wants to cut the budgets from the state schools if they allow the protests or spend any money on students protesting. He is going to introduce a bill called "suck it up buttercup bill" in January. This is merely an attempt to suppress 1st amendment rights. Hopefully it won't pass and if it does it will be declared unconstitutional.

I would favor a nationwide strike on inauguration day. If the only purpose of the government is to ripoff the people, we should not make it easy. Since they are taking everything anyway we have nothing to lose.

If people were not protesting, I would be a lot more depressed right now than I already am.

My concern is how to establish a sustainable opposition. There was a very large turnout in the immediate aftermath of the election, but it's already dwindling. People can't put their lives on hold for four years. The Trump regime knows this and has discredited all protestors as paid for by the democratic party or else whiny sore losers with no actual concerns who just want to cry on each other's shoulders. This will be proven true in the eyes of the right as things calm down. I feel like there needs to be a more coordinated nation-wide effort to organize a prolonged civil disobedience campaign, and maybe that's happening in the background, but I haven't really seen signs of it. What are people actually doing besides protesting? What initiatives are being made to organize and ensure we don't retreat to our social media bubbles to passively complain until the next election?

Hi, what about boycotting? I protested act 10 in wi to no avail. I was able to sleep better at night by boycotting businesses and SOME corporations that supported walker.

More recently I boycotted a business with a T-P sign.

Hell instead of protesting in public venues and universities protest in front of corporations dumping all there money influencing politics.

Yeah I'm naive but I am so tired of feeling so fucking insignificant in the scheme of things.

I feel that people, good people, who voted for Trump, did so blindly, very blindly. This protesting should have been part of the campaign but wasn't because nobody believed he would get elected.

It kind of feels like the war GW created in Iraq where people protested in the lead up to the invasion yet after everybody knew it was a done deal. But here, a large group of Republicans tried to stop it from happening,

kind of half-silently they hath protested before. It's quite strange and freaking alarming. I'm thankful John Bolton did not get the nod from the Trump camp for Secretary of State. Oh, the small miracles of life.

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/images/bolton_rand_ideal_3.jpg

Peace!

Hi, what about boycotting? I protested act 10 in wi to no avail. I was able to sleep better at night by boycotting businesses and SOME corporations that supported walker.

More recently I boycotted a business with a T-P sign.

Hell instead of protesting in public venues and universities protest in front of corporations dumping all there money influencing politics.

Yeah I'm naive but I am so tired of feeling so fucking insignificant in the scheme of things.

I like the idea, but what to boycott? Non-violently refuse to cooperate with any and all government functions? They can't put us all in jail.

I like the idea, but what to boycott? Non-violently refuse to cooperate with any and all government functions? They can't put us all in jail.

well I was thinking boycotting businesses and corporations that contributed and or supported Donald for a start, ex is when I lived in wi I had at&t they supported scooter, so I switched to another provider. When asked why I was leaving them I told them being a union household I can't support a company that supports a fucking union buster, surspringly the account rep agreed. Enough little things like this might just add up to make a little difference. Hell I'm up for anything to help preserve the middle classes way of life.

No problem with protests, but time would be better spent if they formed grassroots political forums that focused on the middle-class killing economic policies of the Clinton-Bush-Obama era and what can be done as a new political movement to reform them. It is suicidal to keep ignoring the complicity of the Clinton and Obama policies in the election of Trump. As long as Progressives keep blaming Trump supporters instead of reflecting on their own destructive economic policies, they will continue to see their political power erode.

No problem with protests, but time would be better spent if they formed grassroots political forums that focused on the middle-class killing economic policies of the Clinton-Bush-Obama era and what can be done as a new political movement to reform them. It is suicidal to keep ignoring the complicity of the Clinton and Obama policies in the election of Trump. As long as Progressives keep blaming Trump supporters instead of reflecting on their own destructive economic policies, they will continue to see their political power erode.

+1

I would favor a nationwide strike on inauguration day. If the only purpose of the government is to ripoff the people, we should not make it easy. Since they are taking everything anyway we have nothing to lose.

The only people who have "nothing to lose" are people who have nothing to lose and no prospects.

If you were to wake up buck naked and hungry in Cite Soleil in Haiti with dengue fever, then you would be close to having "nothing to lose".

Everyone has something they could lose. I am not opposed to strikes or demonstrations, but I cannot imagine how this would cause Trump to resign.

When AMLO lost the national presidential election in Mexico in 2006. (many think it was stolen) there were all manner of demonstrations and demands, but it really had little effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9s_Manuel_L%C3%B3pez_Obrador

The only people who have "nothing to lose" are people who have nothing to lose and no prospects.

If you were to wake up buck naked and hungry in Cite Soleil in Haiti with dengue fever, then you would be close to having "nothing to lose".

Everyone has something they could lose. I am not opposed to strikes or demonstrations, but I cannot imagine how this would cause Trump to resign.

When AMLO lost the national presidential election in Mexico in 2006. (many think it was stolen) there were all manner of demonstrations and demands, but it really had little effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9s_Manuel_L%C3%B3pez_Obrador

Yes, if we had nothing Trump and his republican cohorts would have no interest and they would just leave us dying by the side of the road (if there will be any roads left).

If the nation shut down, and no one was paying any taxes, no one would cooperate with the government in any way, they would have to react, just like the British reacted to Ghandi. (Yes, he was killed, but the British ended up leaving.)

Yes, if we had nothing Trump and his republican cohorts would have no interest and they would just leave us dying by the side of the road (if there will be any roads left).

If the nation shut down, and no one was paying any taxes, no one would cooperate with the government in any way, they would have to react, just like the British reacted to Ghandi. (Yes, he was killed, but the British ended up leaving.)

One problem with this is you would never have enough participation to "shut down the nation". As a consumer I've already started to take my business to other people who didn't openly support trump, inconvenient? slightly making a difference not really, but im also very open as to why Im not a patron of certain goods and services.

One problem with this is you would never have enough participation to "shut down the nation". As a consumer I've already started to take my business to other people who didn't openly support trump, inconvenient? slightly making a difference not really, but im also very open as to why Im not a patron of certain goods and services.

I have been boycotting Sears since the 1970s and I don't think it made much difference. There are many right wing corporations to be avoided, but how to avoid them all? I can shop at Target instead of Walmart, but right wingers get the money all the same.

I am suggesting passive resistance, the same way India got rid of the British.

There is the issue of getting enough people to participate. Any suggestions?

I was very glad to see them. I wanted to join but couldn't find one in my area. I hope people will continue to join together and keep speaking up and speaking out.

As for me, I'm boycotting companies that support Trump or carry Trump family products. I'm going to miss Amazon but, oh well, it's worth it.

Boycotting is a start, but it isn't enough. Start exercising free speech in any and all ways possible. Our president-elect wants to close down the libel laws, but that won't be enough. Do whatever you can to get your message across. You can write messages on walls, stage political protests, post on social media, publicly announce your opinions. Do anything you can think of to speak out against this hilarious joke of a president. The American spirit is bright so let it shine off of you.

I would like to start his off by saying

from what I have seen of Donald Trump

No one knows the future and Trump has been on many sides of many issues so it is difficult to know where he stands. However, we do know much about he as he revealed things about himself during the campaign. He appears to be a pathological liar. There are many instances of this demonstrated. This has destroyed all trust. No matter what he says, he can't be believed. That means no confidence in our president. You cannot have confidence in someone you can't believe. He has pushed on several issues. For example he kept repeating he would build a wall between Mexico and the United States. This would be expensive but it is hard to see what good it would do. How could anyone make sure no one in Mexico had access to a shovel or ladder. Forgive me for saying so, but the wall is just plain stupid.

Trump for years complained about Obama's birth certificate. Now Trump is the president elect and still hasn't produced a valid birth certificate. (I was what he put online and it says "VOID" all over it.)

Trump has verbally attacked many people indicating a pattern of hating just about everyone. This implies a lack of empathy.

Trump has suggested that if we have Nuclear Weapons we should use them. This implies the end of the world.

His party is already making plans to eliminate Social Security, medicare, and the social safety net while massively increasing corporate welfare. He has suggested taking more of our money, giving it to the very rich, so that by some magic it will "Trickle" back to those who work. It has been US policy for decades now with no trickle in sight, just massive upward transfer of wealth.

It is now coming out that there will be massive conflicts of interest in the Trump white house. No one in their right mind would believe the US government is not up for sale.

The biggest problem with Trump is not that we don't know, I would rather have a random person selected for president than Trump.

So while no one knows the future, we have a good idea of what Trump will act upon. It seems clear that many people will die because of Trump.

• 4 weeks later...