The dumbest idea of all rears its ugly head again.

XavierOnassis

Now they again are discussing the insane idea of moving the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. For those who are unaware, real estate in Jerusalem is very, very limited. The city is built on very hilly terrain where pretty much everywhere is to holy to dig. There are Jewish holy sites, Christian Holy Sites (Protestant, Syriac, Armenian, Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox- all fo whom fight amongst themselves) and Muslim holy sites. East Jerusalem is not part of Israel, as even the Israeli government recognizes by issuing Arab families less restrictive license plates and other documents that Palestinians cannot get. The area is still subject to negotiation and has been since 1967. Jerusalem is overcrowded and filled with a wide variety of religious fanatics, many of whom have blown themselves up as martyrs, Both Palestinians and Israeli leaders have been assassinated by such people.

It would cost a fortune to build an embassy in Jerusalem and another fortune to defend it. We already have a well-protected embassy in Tel Aviv, which is vastly more convenient to Israelis and American visitors to Israel.

If there is a negotiated settlement between Israel and Palestine, the US should not show blatant favoritism for one side over the other.

Settling the division of Palisrael into two nations living side by side in peace is the ultimate Deal of All Time. If Trump is the great dealmaker of all time, there is no reason to destroy any chance of getting a deal than moving the Embassy and making the Palestinians even more intractable.

We already have a well-protected embassy in Tel Aviv, which is vastly more convenient to Israelis and American visitors to Israel.

I was in front of it in 2004. It's incredibly well protected. Near many good restaurants, and a very short walk from the beach. My hotel was a short city block away.

It was my first day in Tel Aviv, on business. I was taking a walk to shake off the jet lag. A car stopped next to me a couple of blocks from the embassy. Two American girls in the car, and the driver rolled down the window and asked if I knew where the US Embassy was. :D It was literally the only thing I knew about Tel Aviv. :D

I agree, it would be folly to shake things up by moving the embassy right now, without a larger deal making that a minor part.

Netanyahu seems to want the Embassy to move for symbolic reasons. The Israeli right wing parties want the embassy to move as a symbol of Jerusalem being a mostly Jewish city. The Israeli left wants it to be a symbol of Israeli tolerance of all people.

It would cost a fortune and would make our diplomats much less safe.