Liberals and The Democrats Now

kfbvoice

​Trump won and the Republican Right solidified its political control over America for years to come. However liberals in the Democratic Party have time and opportunity to build an activist and political base that can oppose not only Trump but rightwing politicians, pro corporate Democrats, and big business. The question moving forward is where do we start ? Getting rid of the official party leadership is essential. But beyond that we face a dilemma. Do we focus on bringing in and turning out more young people like those who supported Sanders along with more blacks and Hispanics or do we go after Trump voters ?

​I'll be honest I'm for bringing in more people. I think far too many Trump voters are racist, reactionary, and only concerned with their own economic wellbeing. If you think getting Trump voters is necessary please tell me what you would say to them.

• bullshit 1

GOP'ers voted straight and strict party lines. What was it, 90% voted a straight Republican ticket?

They're not going anywhere and we don't want the filthy element that comes with them. But what there will be are a few million independents with buyer's remorse. Whether that comes within 2 years or 4 years is the only question.

The problem with this election was low turnout. How that could have happened when fucking Trump was the potential consequence is beyond me. But that's where the campaign needs to go: towards voter turnout. If the same number of people had turned out for Hillary that turned out for Obama, this thing would have been a fucking landslide. and Trump would have been fully repudiated.

We also had a chance to gain the Senate, but didn't. God, I want to vomit. We won't have that chance again for at least four more years. Maybe even six.

Anyway. People need to fucking vote.

GOP'ers voted straight and strict party lines. What was it, 90% voted a straight Republican ticket?

They're not going anywhere and we don't want the filthy element that comes with them. But what there will be are a few million independents with buyer's remorse. Whether that comes within 2 years or 4 years is the only question.

The problem with this election was low turnout. How that could have happened when fucking Trump was the potential consequence is beyond me. But that's where the campaign needs to go: towards voter turnout. If the same number of people had turned out for Hillary that turned out for Obama, this thing would have been a fucking landslide. and Trump would have been fully repudiated.

We also had a chance to gain the Senate, but didn't. God, I want to vomit. We won't have that chance again for at least four more years. Maybe even six.

Anyway. People need to fucking vote.

I see your point about turn out. It would be interesting to see Hillary Clinton's margin of loss in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Virginia and the percentages of eligible voters who did not turn out. When it comes to buyer's remorse I think a lot of Trump supporters will blame Congressional Democrats and Republicans for obstructing him.

• bullshit 1

I see your point about turn out. It would be interesting to see Hillary Clinton's margin of loss in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Virginia and the percentages of eligible voters who did not turn out. When it comes to buyer's remorse I think a lot of Trump supporters will blame Congressional Democrats and Republicans for obstructing him.

The total margin of victory for Trump in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Wisconsin was around 150,000 total votes. Collectively, that's razor thin, and makes me want to vomit all over again.

Democrats never made much of a fuss about losing the White House to W. back in 2000 when Gore won the popular vote. They should have. It should have been a rallying cry shouted to this day. The numbers say that there are more Democrats in America than Republicans, yet we find ourselves under them. It's disheartening on one hand, but encouraging on another because if we all just cast our ballots, they'd be out of power in a relatively short time.

I would caution that moving the Democratic Party further left will not be easy. There are still plenty of moderates and even conservatives among the rank and file. Moreover wealthy donors and insiders along with consultant and party officials are going to resist efforts to aodpt and pursue and economic populist agenda. Here's what I found out citing one poll about Democrats. In 2015 41% of Democrats identified as liberal while 35 % said they were moderates, and 21 % said they were conservative.

pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/10/12/5 facts about democrats

• bullshit 1

There are far more people who would vote Democrat than Republican, if they bothered to vote. Voter turnout in the US is always pathetic, even in election cycles where it's higher than usual. How to boost voter participation is always a big problem for Democrats. The problem for Republicans, is how to suppress it even further. Overall, they have done a far better job.

I can't help thinking president Trump will be far more terrifying than candidate Trump. When he fantasy becomes reality, even many of his supporters may be sorry they weren't more careful what they wished for. In two years, the composition of congress may flip from Republican to Democrat. And in four ....

As for trying to reason with Trump supporters right now; IMO, it would be a giant waste of time. I live in a heavily pro-Trump location and among older people of both sexes here, the tribalism, exclusion of other ideas, and celebration of victory are at a fever pitch. Much better for the Dems to focus on enlisting young people, who tend to be more receptive to ideas left of the status quo. And, of course those in the middle, who's number may very well swell when it becomes apparent what Trump is really about.

Corporate wh*res, and Neo-cons masquerading as liberals put us into this mess.

Perhaps this will be a lesson learned for a better road for the next generation of Democrats. The younger generation of this country got screwed "Big League" by the weak kneed, accommodating, incrementalist, centrist policies of the current Democratic "leadership". Put them all out to pasture, and start over. They have failed. The sooner we admit that fact, the sooner we can start climbing out of the deep hole we have thrown the next generation into.