What good could possibly come out of this mess?

laripu

As they say, even a stopped clock it right twice a day.

Here are some things that could - maybe - come out of the situation we find ourselves in:

1. Improved services, medical and otherwise, for veterans.
  2. Simplification of the tax code. Yes, I know, Republicans will slant it to the benefit of the rich and cut services on which the poor and middle class depend. But eventually the pendulum swings back and a simplified tax code will be a good place to start building a fairer simplified tax code.
  3. He's proposed tough limitations on lobbying. If he can get that through it's not a bad thing. But I suspect there will be constitutional reasons why that won't work.
  4. Renegotiation of trade deals, if he can do it. (In general, I'm for trade deals. I'm against canceling the TPP, but the Orange Thing has promised to do that. Maybe other liberals would like that?)

That's all I can think of now.

I'm trying to find some optimism, but it's really hard.

As they say, even a stopped clock it right twice a day.

Here are some things that could - maybe - come out of the situation we find ourselves in:

1. Improved services, medical and otherwise, for veterans.
  2. Simplification of the tax code. Yes, I know, Republicans will slant it to the benefit of the rich and cut services on which the poor and middle class depend. But eventually the pendulum swings back and a simplified tax code will be a good place to start building a fairer simplified tax code.
  3. He's proposed tough limitations on lobbying. If he can get that through it's not a bad thing. But I suspect there will be constitutional reasons why that won't work.
  4. Renegotiation of trade deals, if he can do it. (In general, I'm for trade deals. I'm against canceling the TPP, but the Orange Thing has promised to do that. Maybe other liberals would like that?)

That's all I can think of now.

I'm trying to find some optimism, but it's really hard.

I can appreciate trying to find a silver lining, to gain some optimism, but I am not there yet, and maybe never will be.

Trump has a long and sad history of not even paying his contractors, so I expect what remaining services available for veterans will be cancelled.

Simplification of the tax code might happen, but simply sending a check for every penny we earned to Trump's personal account won't be better even if it is simpler.

I don't believe for a second that Trump would refuse lobbyists giving him money. If anything lobbying will get worse.

I don't favor the current status of the trade deals. I like trade deals, but not the kind where the American public loses big time, the rich get more of our money and our jobs disappear. Those kinds of trade deals are not acceptable. When Trump says he will re-negotiate them, I doubt any renegotiation will help anyone other than Trump.

I can appreciate trying to find a silver lining, to gain some optimism, but I am not there yet, and maybe never will be.

Trump has a long and sad history of not even paying his contractors, so I expect what remaining services available for veterans will be cancelled.

Simplification of the tax code might happen, but simply sending a check for every penny we earned to Trump's personal account won't be better even if it is simpler.

I don't believe for a second that Trump would refuse lobbyists giving him money. If anything lobbying will get worse.

I don't favor the current status of the trade deals. I like trade deals, but not the kind where the American public loses big time, the rich get more of our money and our jobs disappear. Those kinds of trade deals are not acceptable. When Trump says he will re-negotiate them, I doubt any renegotiation will help anyone other than Trump.

​I think you are absolutely right.

​I think you are absolutely right.

Let me third that notion.

Trump wants to invest in infrastructure. I think that can be a good thing.

I had the same reaction when I first heard Trump say it. But when I think about his business record and mistreatment of both colleagues and underlings, I suspect any such program, under his guidance, would be filled with abuses and corruption. All we really know about Trump, comes not from his promises, but how he has conducted himself, so far.

Grasping at straws, I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

The democrats in office need to let any hairbrained idea of Trumps go through. Make a statement they are against thr proposal and why. It will go south and the republicans will not have anyone to blame but themselves.

Yeah... that's not how it'll work.

Remember how the Iraq war was Hillary's fault?

Remember how Al Qaeda was in Iraq and that's why we went?

Remember how the deficit rose under Obama?

Remember how George W. Bush was a war hero and John Kerry a coward?

I could go on and on, but when something goes wrong for the GOP, they just say, "No, the Democrats did that." And their constituents believe them.

Facts and reality are a choice in the conservative toolbox now. They're not necessities, and when not helpful, they're cast aside in favor of what they wish was true.

Hillary didn't win the popular vote. At least 1.5 million of those votes were cast by illegals or dead people. See how that works? That's going to be a fact to GOP voters in a few months.

I would greatly appreciate rebuilding the infrastructure. But I think when Trump says he wants to build infrastructure, I hear build a wall, build oil pipelines for the Koch Brothers. Nothing for the public.

I keep waiting for the GOP to recognize global climate change, and blame it on the democrats.

When Trump says he will re-negotiate them, I doubt any renegotiation will help anyone other than Trump.

=============================

I think there is a high probability that he will renegotiate treaties, which he will proclaim better even if they are worse, but that include a hefty hidden kickback to Trump.

The only good that can come out of this Presidency is if Democrats take back the house in 2 years, and then the Presidency 2 years later, before Trump is able to destroy public programs like Education and Medicare.

Archived