Canada prepares welcome mat for American 'asylum seekers'

drvoke

canada-flag-feature-595x292.jpg

I am completely disgusted with this country. I am seriously thinking of moving to Canada. You ignorant rednecks make me sick to my stomach.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/canada-prepares-welcome-mat-for-american-asylum-seekers/ar-AAk6uoq?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Predictions of an American exodus under a Donald Trump presidency were largely viewed as tongue in cheek during the campaign.

Canadians greeted the prospect of American refugees with their typical quirky humor, eagerly touting the country's healthcare system, poutine, maple syrup and "the good side of the Niagara Falls."

But as it became clear late Tuesday that Trump was on a sure path to the White House, interest in moving to Canada spiked and crashed the country's immigration website.

"I think it's an emotional reaction. I don't know if they'll follow through," Ottawa immigration lawyer Julie Taub told AFP on Wednesday, hours after Trump was declared the president-elect.

"It's unlikely that a flood of Americans would arrive at the border seeking asylum."

However, Taub and other immigration lawyers said they received several inquiries from Americans as they arrived at the office in the morning.

Over the past year, Canadian real estate agencies and regions with sparse populations used the US election to launch marketing campaigns to attract newcomers.

"Move to beautiful Nunavut," said a Twitter message on Wednesday, hyping the Arctic territory's pristine environment and "10 months of winter each year."

The island of Cape Breton in Nova Scotia on Canada's east coast welcomed Americans under the slogan, "Cape Breton if Donald Trump wins."

It offered jobs and cheap homes just 250 miles (400 kilometers) from the US border.

The immigration website explains what steps to take and the criteria necessary to be eligible for Canadian residency.

Access to the site became progressively slower as Trump picked up key states, before finally displaying an error message at 11 pm Tuesday (0400 GMT Wednesday) when Trump clinched the swing state of Florida.

Canada takes in about 300,000 immigrants and refugees annually.

- Build a wall -

Several US celebrities have pledged to move north if Trump prevailed over Clinton, including "Breaking Bad" actor Bryan Cranston who said he would pack up an RV and drive to Vancouver.

"I would definitely move," he said ahead of the result. "It wouldn't be a vacation; I'd be an expatriate."

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I GOT A 42 FT DIESEL PUSHER WITH A 28 FT COVERED TRAILER...ILL BET I COULD PACK 200 LIBRETARDS IN AND HAUL THEM THERE FOR FREE..I DONT THINK CANADA WOULD BE STUPID ENOUGH TO LET THEM COME THERE

I GOT A 42 FT DIESEL PUSHER WITH A 28 FT COVERED TRAILER...ILL BET I COULD PACK 200 LIBRETARDS IN AND HAUL THEM THERE FOR FREE..I DONT THINK CANADA WOULD BE STUPID ENOUGH TO LET THEM COME THERE

ID BE WILLINGLY TO HAUL THEM THERE AS MANY TRIPS AS IT TAKES...TILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THOSE MORONS ARE GONE

canada-flag-feature-595x292.jpg

I am completely disgusted with this country. I am seriously thinking of moving to Canada. You ignorant rednecks make me sick to my stomach.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/canada-prepares-welcome-mat-for-american-asylum-seekers/ar-AAk6uoq?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Predictions of an American exodus under a Donald Trump presidency were largely viewed as tongue in cheek during the campaign.

Canadians greeted the prospect of American refugees with their typical quirky humor, eagerly touting the country's healthcare system, poutine, maple syrup and "the good side of the Niagara Falls."

But as it became clear late Tuesday that Trump was on a sure path to the White House, interest in moving to Canada spiked and crashed the country's immigration website.

"I think it's an emotional reaction. I don't know if they'll follow through," Ottawa immigration lawyer Julie Taub told AFP on Wednesday, hours after Trump was declared the president-elect.

"It's unlikely that a flood of Americans would arrive at the border seeking asylum."

However, Taub and other immigration lawyers said they received several inquiries from Americans as they arrived at the office in the morning.

Over the past year, Canadian real estate agencies and regions with sparse populations used the US election to launch marketing campaigns to attract newcomers.

"Move to beautiful Nunavut," said a Twitter message on Wednesday, hyping the Arctic territory's pristine environment and "10 months of winter each year."

The island of Cape Breton in Nova Scotia on Canada's east coast welcomed Americans under the slogan, "Cape Breton if Donald Trump wins."

It offered jobs and cheap homes just 250 miles (400 kilometers) from the US border.

The immigration website explains what steps to take and the criteria necessary to be eligible for Canadian residency.

Access to the site became progressively slower as Trump picked up key states, before finally displaying an error message at 11 pm Tuesday (0400 GMT Wednesday) when Trump clinched the swing state of Florida.

Canada takes in about 300,000 immigrants and refugees annually.

- Build a wall -

Several US celebrities have pledged to move north if Trump prevailed over Clinton, including "Breaking Bad" actor Bryan Cranston who said he would pack up an RV and drive to Vancouver.

"I would definitely move," he said ahead of the result. "It wouldn't be a vacation; I'd be an expatriate."

Like Nike would say "Just do it".