Despite horrendous reporting, FBI is NOT reopening Clinton investigati

So release the emails to the public and let them decide.. Why do only Republican lawmakers get them 10 days before the election.?

It s a political stunt...

They cannot release the emails to the public.

First, they contain Top Secret information.

Secondly, they are the subject of a CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION and any release would bias a jury.

Even Newsweak got the facts right on this one:

A Newsweek article argues that Comey was forced to disclose the investigation. Withholding it would have backfired horribly on the bureau if the probe was discovered after the election, the article says.

Comey’s position may be complicated by his earlier testimony to Congress about the FBI’s initial probe of Clinton’s emails, in which he recommended no charges against Clinton and called her actions “extremely careless.”

Even at the risk of helping Trump, Comey has notified Congress (and the world) about it so as to clarify his prior testimony,” Benjamin Wittes wrote on Law Fare blog. “This allows voters to judge how to consider this before the election—even though he will almost surely not be able to say anything more until after the election. It’s a way of not pretending that the investigation is ‘complete’ when he knows there is some degree of residual issue.”

Comey, for his part, said in a note to FBI employees Friday that he had “an obligation” to disclose the probe to Congress.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, and the only scenario that makes sense to me is they found something that "shows intent", because Comey made it clear that was the only threshold he considered

You are entitlied to your own opinion.....but Comey did say in a letter to staff....

This morning I sent a letter to Congress in connection with the Secretary Clinton email investigation. Yesterday, the investigative team briefed me on their recommendation with respect to seeking access to emails that have recently been found in an unrelated case. Because those emails appear to be pertinent to our investigation, I agreed that we should take appropriate steps to obtain and review them.

Of course, we don’t ordinarily tell Congress about ongoing investigations, but here I feel an obligation to do so given that I testified repeatedly in recent months that our investigation was completed. I also think it would be misleading to the American people were we not to supplement the record. At the same time, however, given that we don’t know the significance of this newly discovered collection of emails, I don’t want to create a misleading impression. In trying to strike that balance, in a brief letter and in the middle of an election season, there is significant risk of being misunderstood, but I wanted you to hear directly from me about it.

There is also the fact that Anthony Weiner resigned in 2011, and should not be privy to any gov correspondence,

and this could also be a reason for the FBI scrutiny, as it could involve Hillary through Huma.......

If Huma did use the same PC as the Weiner boy did to correspond with Hillary about confidential gov issues, that IMO, was extremely sloppy and should be investigated.......

You are entitlied to your own opinion.....but Comey did say in a letter to staff....

There is also the fact that Anthony Weiner resigned in 2011, and should not be privy to any gov correspondence,

and this could also be a reason for the FBI scrutiny, as it could involve Hillary through Huma.......

If Huma did use the same PC as the Weiner boy did to correspond with Hillary about confidential gov issues, that IMO, was extremely sloppy and should be investigated.......

Comey has already made it clear that he doesn't "extremely sloppy" to be a crime without "intent"

I don't care if they found top secret plans to invade England, Comey is only interested in intent

Comey has already made it clear that he doesn't "extremely sloppy" to be a crime without "intent"

I don't care if they found top secret plans to invade England, Comey is only interested in intent

"intent" appears No Where in the statute.

18 U.S.C. § 793 : US Code - Section 793:

Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information

(f) Whoever, being entrusted with or having lawful possession or control of any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, note, or information, relating to the national defense, (1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust, or to be lost, stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, or (2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer - Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

She is Guilty of Felony Espionage.

This newest 'revelation' in Comey's words "may not be significant". Obviously, that is an understatement. In effect, Comey is using his office to campaign for Trump.

(f) Whoever, being entrusted with or having lawful possession or control of any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, note, or information, relating to the national defense, (1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust, or to be lost, stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, or (2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer - Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

This newest 'revelation' in Comey's words "may not be significant". Obviously, that is an understatement. In effect, Comey is using his office to campaign for Trump.

You'll never convince me of that after the way he let her off on lack of intent earlier

Enjoy the White House

j5l94w.jpg

Nowhere in THAT statute

TtBoMK - in ANY Espionage statutes.

It's now come down to 9 days before the election and Comey drops his disinformation bomb. Obviously an abuse of power and a desperation move to reverse a Clinton landslide.

She Owns this.

It will follow her right into the White House... unless Barbie Davie-Soetoro Pardons her.

Enjoy the White House

j5l94w.jpg

Comey's partisan efforts on behalf of the Trump campaign are an abuse of power. He needs to be replaced, at the very least.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/politics/2016/10/fbi-director-james-comey-manufactures-an-october-surprise-for-hillary-clinton/

FBI Director James Comey Manufactures an October Surprise for Hillary Clinton Is this a manufactured crisis? Yes. Will it affect the presidential polls come Monday? Definitely.

- snip -

What does all of this mean in practical terms? Comey is behaving like a power-mad, unprofessional political hack instead of an independent arbiter of American justice. He is clearly not in Obama’s pocket. In fact, Comey couldn’t be more out-of-pocket if he were wearing Daisy Dukes. Releasing the specter of a renewed investigation, without any new evidence, and no background context, less than 11 days before a presidential election is clearly a political act and one designed to harm the Democratic nominee. The political, as opposed to justice-driven, nature of this announcement became all the more clear as real journalists investigated this story throughout the day.

- snip -

This Is Jason Chaffetz’s REAL Reason For Duping The Media About Hillary’s Emails

October 28, 2016Marc Belisle Politics

Chaffetz Launches Machiavellian Ploy, Media Chases Shiny Object

Republican Congressman from Utah Jason Chaffetz caused a shockwave in the media and in the 2016 presidential election Friday, when he tweeted that the FBI had “reopened” the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s emails.

http://reverbpress.com/politics/this-is-jason-chaffetzs-real-reason-for-duping-the-media-about-hillarys-emails/

It's now come down to 9 days before the election and Comey drops his disinformation bomb. Obviously an abuse of power and a desperation move to reverse a Clinton landslide.

People didn't care much about the e mails before and they don't now.

Only conholes got worked up about it

Comey's partisan efforts on behalf of the Trump campaign are an abuse of power. He needs to be replaced, at the very least.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/politics/2016/10/fbi-director-james-comey-manufactures-an-october-surprise-for-hillary-clinton/

I remember when you guys said the same thing about that poor attorney general from in Florida, when she first followed the law, and then the court rulings, in that election where you all accepted the results, no matter who won.

My question for you is who hired Comey?

Here's some relevant info on this matter.....from a New York Times article.....

Across Pennsylvania Avenue from the F.B.I., Justice Department officials were said to be deeply upset about Mr. Comey's decision to go to Congress with the new information before it had been adequately investigated.

That decision, said several officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity, appeared to contradict longstanding Justice Department guidelines discouraging any actions close to an election that could influence the outcome.

One official complained that no one at the F.B.I. or the Justice Department is even certain yet whether any of the emails included national security material or was relevant to the investigation into whether Mrs. Clinton had mishandled classified material in her use of a private email server.

"The F.B.I. has a history of extreme caution near Election Day so as not to influence the results," Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, said in a statement. "Todays break from that tradition is appalling."

"Was this information Congress needed to know urgently? Of course not," said Matthew Miller, a Clinton supporter who was the chief spokesman at the Justice Department under former Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr.

And more from a later article in the NYT...Justice Dept. Strongly Discouraged Comey on Move in Clinton Email Case

Mr. Comey's letter opened him up to criticism not only from Democrats but also from current and former officials at the F.B.I. and the Justice Department, including Republicans.

"There's a longstanding policy of not doing anything that could influence an election," said George J. Terwilliger III, a deputy attorney general under President George Bush. "Those guidelines exist for a reason. Sometimes, that makes for hard decisions. But bypassing them has consequences."

He added, "There's a difference between being independent and flying solo."

The new emails were discovered during an unrelated F.B.I. investigation into the disgraced former congressman Anthony D. Weiner and his illicit text messages with a 15-year-old girl. On Oct. 3, the F.B.I. seized several electronic devices, including a laptop, a cellphone and an iPad.

During the course of searching those devices, the F.B.I. discovered thousands of emails, according to senior law enforcement officials, some of them between Mr. Weiner's estranged wife, Huma Abedin, a top adviser to Mrs. Clinton, and other aides.

Many of the emails, which have yet to be fully examined, are expected to be duplicates of emails that have already been scrutinized in the Clinton case. The government has not yet concluded that the new emails contain classified information, but investigators felt obligated to look.