Fraud

laripu

Suppose, after losing the election, Trump publicly claims on TV that he never intended to win the election, but instead used the race for publicity, to start an ultra-right cable news network.

This legal website defines federal fraud as follows:

Federal law defines fraud as any intentional deception or misrepresentation used to benefit yourself or someone else.

The website goes on to discuss various kinds of federal fraud, and the penalties, which could include long imprisonment.

If Trump comes out after losing and publicly claims that he never intended to win, but that his plan was only to gain publicity, should he be tried for fraud?

I can think of reasons for both 'yes' (because he hurt the integrity of the electoral system) and 'no' (because in the US we don't prosecute the losers). What do you think?

At the moment, I'm thinking that at least the Republican party should sue him.

Haivuong2 - The Liberal's Only Room is, as the name clearly states, only for liberals. Please post your petition in the No Holds Barred subforum, if you want. As a Republican, you are not allowed in the Liberal's Only Room.

For me "in the US, we don't prosecute the losers" would be the overriding principle if a fraud case was brought by either the federal government or congressional lawmakers, even if it was a bipartisan effort. Going after Trump for election fraud, even if he admitted it, would set a dangerous example, of punishing losers, after future elections, and be one more nail in the coffin of the Democratic process. It has the potential to take its place alongside abuses like voter suppression and gerrymandering as ways to subvert the popular vote. It is not too dissimilar to Trump's threat, in the second debate, to put Hillary in jail, should he win.

The link lists Mail and Wire Fraud, Tax Fraud and Securities Fraud, Medicaid and Medicare Fraud. It does not include Election Fraud, although it states "the crimes presented here is by no means exhaustive".

That said, Trump has gotten away with so many fraudulent crimes, it boggles the mind. If not for the double standard of justice (rich/poor) in the US, Trump could easily be indicted for Tax Fraud or numerous others, sometime in the future.

We didn't prosecute the "winner" who committed election fraud either. The 2000 election was clearly filled with election fraud, culminating with the USSC voiding the election and appointing bush. No one bothered to file a lawsuit against bush for the massive election fraud. If bush can get away with such obvious criminality, then the rule of law is broken and the last nail has already been put in the coffin of democracy.

We already have the Pat Act, in which the government has claimed the power to put anyone away. All they need do is make a private claim that the person might be an enemy combatant. Put them in jail, no phone call, no trial, no charges, just extraordinary rendition for life (however long that might be). Note that it is against the law for the media to report on anyone so removed.

we should all be held in contempt under the court of lawless conspiracy flaws

the way we fake plan to be or not to be

I guess we all seem to hide,

I guess this senseless and foolish consistency

is the hobglobin of little minds, Ralph Walden Emerson once said

This Trump is brutal or is he simply perfectly

A mirror or some Dorian Gray truth

We foolishly forgot about

And what the fuck

kind of reality painting is left up in the attic

collecting dust

Peace!

You should not prosecute the losers of elections just because they lost the election, but if indeed there is fraud going on, I would think you would HAVE to prosecute that. You let Trump get away with it, the next guy is probably going to be worse.

I can't help but think that if we had prosecuted Nixon, Reagan or Duh-bya, the GOP would not be as bold as it is today. Nobody goes to jail? Where is the incentive to do the right thing?

You make an excellent point RussBLib.

And there's no point in worrying about unjustified Republican reprisals because they are already going that route. Jason Chaffetz, the Utah congressman wrapping up his first term atop the powerful House Oversight Committee promised to start years of multiple investigations on Hillary the minute she takes office. Other Republicans have threatened impeachment ASAP. John McCain has promised to block ALL of Hillary's Supreme Court nominees for the duration of her presidency.

If they're going to spend billions of taxpayer money on largely frivolous witch hunts, the Democrats need to start prosecuting verifiable crimes committed by Republican politicians..