"Nasty Woman" becomes the feminist cry Clinton was waiting for

dahur

“Nasty woman" becomes the feminist rallying cry Hillary Clinton was waiting for
Updated by Liz Plank Oct 20, 2016, 9:50a

Calling Hillary Clinton a nasty woman may have been the best thing Donald Trump has ever done for her campaign.

Trump has spent most of the election reminding us just how difficult it can be for a woman to run for president in a world still steeped in patriarchy. First there was that debate when Trump manterrupted Clinton three times more than she interrupted him. And then we kicked things up a notch, when we all watched him justify bragging about sexual assault. (You know, right before he threatened to put her in jail.)

During the third debate, Trump fired off his most respectful attack when he leaned into his mic and blurted out that Clinton was such a nasty woman. Well, he did say no one respects women more than him.

And that’s when Donald gifted women everywhere the “binders full of women of 2016, prompting many to take to social media to reclaim an insult Trump lobbed at Clinton and, unknowingly to him, at all of them too. The hashtag #ImANastyWoman spread like feminist wildfire, launching a conversation about the way successful women are often treated differently than their male counterparts.

In that moment, Trump did for Clinton what she hasn’t been able to do with female voters: He made her relatable. Nearly every woman sitting at home has experienced a version of the nasty woman moment, though probably not on national television. Whether it was being called nasty by an ex-boyfriend or bossy at work, women immediately picked up on the insult, and knew exactly what it was like to be in Clinton’s shoes. Although much of the sexism against Clinton has been slightly implicit, her opponent, for whom subtlety is an entirely foreign concept, has made his gendered condescension toward her crystal clear.

How can being the target of a sexist attack help Clinton? It effectively chips away at her likability issue. Many women say they felt lukewarm about her, but last night they had sympathy. It’s really hard not to like someone when you empathize with them.

And the beauty of Trump’s comment is that it was so blatant that it requires absolutely no response — Clinton didn’t even seem rattled by it. She continued to explain her plan for Social Security, demonstrating her strength as a leader.

The truth is it’s become undeniable that Donald Trump has no idea how to respect women. Even before this moment of misogyny, when he defended the offensive way he talks about women and uttered his classic “nobody has more respect for women than I do,” the audience legitimately burst out laughing. He has become a symbol, in fact a parody, of the kind of man that many women despise. For young women especially, for whom the label “nasty woman” seems like vintage sexism, almost archaic, the insult has become a badge of honor.

Trump’s flagrant misogyny throughout this campaign may have been painful and triggeringto watch for many women, but he may have unlocked the feminist revolution Clinton’s beenwaiting for.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/20/13341416/nasty-woman-feminist-rallying-cry-hillary-clinton

trump stepped in it (again)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<p><p>

Nasty woman" becomes the feminist rallying cry Hillary Clinton was waiting for

Updated by Liz Plank Oct 20, 2016, 9:50a

Calling Hillary Clinton a nasty woman may have been the best thing Donald Trump has ever done for her campaign.

Trump has spent most of the election reminding us just how difficult it can be for a woman to run for president in a world still steeped in patriarchy. First there was that debate when Trump manterrupted Clinton three times more than she interrupted him. And then we kicked things up a notch, when we all watched him justify bragging about sexual assault. (You know, right before he threatened to put her in jail.)

During the third debate, Trump fired off his most respectful attack when he leaned into his mic and blurted out that Clinton was such a nasty woman. Well, he did say no one respects women more than him.

And thats when Donald gifted women everywhere the binders full of women of 2016, prompting many to take to social media to reclaim an insult Trump lobbed at Clinton and, unknowingly to him, at all of them too. The hashtag #ImANastyWoman spread like feminist wildfire, launching a conversation about the way successful women are often treated differently than their male counterparts.

In that moment, Trump did for Clinton what she hasnt been able to do with female voters: He made her relatable. Nearly every woman sitting at home has experienced a version of the nasty woman moment, though probably not on national television. Whether it was being called nasty by an ex-boyfriend or bossy at work, women immediately picked up on the insult, and knew exactly what it was like to be in Clintons shoes. Although much of the sexism against Clinton has been slightly implicit, her opponent, for whom subtlety is an entirely foreign concept, has made his gendered condescension toward her crystal clear.

How can being the target of a sexist attack help Clinton? It effectively chips away at her likability issue. Many women say they felt lukewarm about her, but last night they had sympathy. Its really hard not to like someone when you empathize with them.

And the beauty of Trumps comment is that it was so blatant that it requires absolutely no response Clinton didnt even seem rattled by it. She continued to explain her plan for Social Security, demonstrating her strength as a leader.

The truth is its become undeniable that Donald Trump has no idea how to respect women. Even before this moment of misogyny, when he defended the offensive way he talks about women and uttered his classic nobody has more respect for women than I do, the audience legitimately burst out laughing. He has become a symbol, in fact a parody, of the kind of man that many women despise. For young women especially, for whom the label nasty woman seems like vintage sexism, almost archaic, the insult has become a badge of honor.

Trumps flagrant misogyny throughout this campaign may have been painful and triggeringto watch for many women, but he may have unlocked the feminist revolution Clintons beenwaiting for.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/20/13341416/nasty-woman-feminist-rallying-cry-hillary-clinton

trump stepped in it (again)

Sorry, I don't get it. I've been called an asshole and a great guy. Some people just won't like you. Period. If I call a bitch a bitch, I'm not insulting all women. If I call a woman a nasty woman because that's the impression I've got, I'm not insulting all women. That's just stupid. I've not seen the remark, so maybe it has to do with the tone. Trump is a piece of shit too. So maybe it's just him saying it.

Feminists are also largely morons these days. Or expert trolls. One of the two.

It was undisciplined of Trump, in the first place, to resort to gratuitous name calling. And, evidently unconscious of the the consequences, he chose to call Hillary not a nasty person, but a nasty woman; As if the description applied more to women than men. One would think, if he used it at all, he would use such an insult in response to a lie, which could be fact checked later. But instead, the outburst came directly in response to Hillary's 100% true observation that Trump usually tries to wriggle out of paying taxes.

Just before that, Hillary had been observing how Trump uses Chinese steel in his hotels, employing Chinese labor, to the detriment of American workers. Also true.

To an extent, Hillary's debate arguments were meant, not only to make points, but draw out the worst side of Trump's personality by taking advantage of his inability to ignore provocation. It worked brilliantly when Trump lost his temper, calling her "such a nasty woman".

It was undisciplined of Trump, in the first place, to resort to gratuitous name calling. And, evidently unconscious of the the consequences, he chose to call Hillary not a nasty person, but a nasty woman; As if the description applied more to women than men. One would think, if he used it at all, he would use such an insult in response to a lie, which could be fact checked later. But instead, the outburst came directly in response to Hillary's 100% true observation that Trump usually tries to wriggle out of paying taxes.

Just before that, Hillary had been observing how Trump uses Chinese steel in his hotels, employing Chinese labor, to the detriment of American workers. Also true.

To an extent, Hillary's debate arguments were meant, not only to make points, but draw out the worst side of Trump's personality by taking advantage of his inability to ignore provocation. It worked brilliantly when Trump lost his temper, calling her "such a nasty woman".

She IS a woman though. I don't see the reasoning there.

Is there a sociologist somewhere on here? Lol

She IS a woman though. I don't see the reasoning there.

Is there a sociologist somewhere on here? Lol

She's also a person. As a man, Trump could have avoided the sexual put-down by not specifying her sex.

She's also a person. As a man, Trump could have avoided the sexual put-down by not specifying her sex.

I'm failing to see how it's a sexual put down. The words and comment itself doesn't imply only women are nasty, or that all women are nasty.

While Clinton is a woman she is not necessarily a feminist so I do hope that so many feminist who are choosing to vote for Clinton don't get duped which means all feminists will necessarily need to keep a close eye on Hillary. And be prepared to get in her face accordingly.

Vote Jill Stein a feminist and a friend to the feminist movement that which can never rest.

Perhaps if it was someone else, the "nasty woman" comment might have been overlooked. But in this case, it came from a man famous for his exploitation and disrespect of women. All the while, trying to convince the gullible that "no one respects women more than me".

Same way his remarks about Khan or McCain was an insult to all muslims and all POWs

Not really, no. He said more than 4 words in those. Compare them yourself. And that still doesn't answer my question anyway. It's as if you're offended but don't know why, or offended because you want to be. Maybe it's just because it's Trump. I don't know, and that's why I'm asking.

Perhaps if it was someone else, the "nasty woman" comment might have been overlooked. But in this case, it came from a man famous for his exploitation and disrespect of women. All the while, trying to convince the gullible that "no one respects women more than me".

That's probably it. It's not necessarily the words, but who they are coming from.

she is nasty and your mad that trump didnt contribute to your lazy ass welfare

good for trump

'