Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

laripu

Don't panic

And some people are super-stoked that HRC is going to be the next president.

I'm one of those people, and no ones gonna rain on my parade :D

Bill

And some people are super-stoked that HRC is going to be the next president.

I'm one of those people, and no ones gonna rain on my parade :D

Me too.

I was going to write 'ditto', but the Limbots might accuse me of cultural appropriation. ;)

Me too.

I was going to write 'ditto', but the Limbots might accuse me of cultural appropriation. ;)

Snerk.

They'd have to have a culture first.

Me too.I was going to write 'ditto', but the Limbots might accuse me of cultural appropriation. ;)

Snerk. They'd have to have a culture first.

You made me laugh. :D

But you know, they do. There's lots of stuff there. Country music. Barbecue. Hunting and fishing. Painters. There are even writers if you know where to look for them. We'd know a lot more about the positive aspects of the lives of conservatives if we didn't have such a political divide.

And vice versa.

I can't share your happiness over having HRC as our first president but I take some humor from Bill Clinton becoming the very first FGOTUS of America.

But you know, they do. There's lots of stuff there. Country music. Barbecue. Hunting and fishing. Painters. There are even writers if you know where to look for them. We'd know a lot more about the positive aspects of the lives of conservatives if we didn't have such a political divide.

And vice versa.

I read a lot of SciFi and there are writers who include unmistakably partisan Conservative ideology in their plots where the more admirable characters lean to the Right. Also some left leaning SciFi authors too. And partisan Conservative painters aplenty. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=conservative+graphic+art&id=0B93F069D7B9C46E724021FB277308CDF91A9C28&FORM=IQFRBA

But many tastes and lifestyle choices have fallen to the Left or Right that are not intrinsically political. Hunting, fishing and the gun culture cut across the political spectrum. Myself, and others I know, are an examples of that. Country music might mostly represent the Right, but I know stone Liberals who are crazy about it. Barbecue, often thought of as taken to a high culinary plane on the Right, is probably the example that cuts across party lines the most.

I read a lot of SciFi and there are writers who include unmistakably partisan Conservative ideology in their plots where the more admirable characters lean to the Right. Also some left leaning SciFi authors too. And partisan Conservative painters aplenty. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=conservative+graphic+art&id=0B93F069D7B9C46E724021FB277308CDF91A9C28&FORM=IQFRBA

But many tastes and lifestyle choices have fallen to the Left or Right that are not intrinsically political. Hunting, fishing and the gun culture cut across the political spectrum. Myself, and others I know, are an examples of that. Country music might mostly represent the Right mostly, but I know stone Liberals who are crazy about it. Barbecue, often thought of as taken to a high culinary plane on the Right, is probably the example that cuts across party lines the most.

Everything you say here is true. My point was only that conservatives or even Limbots, are not without culture.

We disagree with their politics, but that doesn't mean that everything about them is bad or wrong.

I work with a ex-military man whose a conservative who hates Trump, and was for Bobby Jindal until Jindal had no chance. He's person of great integrity, and I trust him. We agree on many things ... just not on the role of government.

On the other hand, many Trump supporters are racist morons, or deplorables as a great lady said. Not all, but many.

I tease about the culture thing because I don't consider Limbaugh as culture. The thing is, if you get the chance to hang out with the 'other side', they're just like us. There are great people, there are idiots, there are weirdos, there are creative geniuses, there are philanthropists, there are jerks, and there are horrible people. Most of us want the same things, and are similar in far more ways than we are different.

It's our outlook on life and our solutions to problems and what we perceive as problems that make the difference.

It's these differences that divide us into different Americas. These differences and sadly, those people who do not want the same things as the rest of us, or only want them for select people. This second group of people often lead the rest, and that is what causes the greatest divides.

Deplorables? I don't think most of them are truly deplorables. Even the worst of the lot still are human and deserve as much compassion as we can give them. But I think the vast majority of Trump's supporters are decent people who are followers who believe the lies they've been fed, ones who are just scared by the way the world is and either think Trump / the Republicans can fix it or at least believe Hillary will make things far, far worse.

I want the big push past the presidential election. Let's think about the coming, Dia de los Muertos a bit and think. No not democrats no not republicans... we need something else that includes all of us who think we want more. Maybe just maybe manifest destiny can be a real thing. Maybe some young man living in a poor neighborhood in Mississippi has a lot more worth than the typical profit motive of a large corporation managing only stock holder growth.

What is the bottom line, when we say we want more? Something to really concentrate a lot about, just maybe!!!

http://ralphnaderradiohour.libsyn.com/noam-chomsky

Peace!

I hate to have been right about this, but as of 1PM Nov 2, 2016

FiveThirtyEight has dropped Clinton's win probability to 70.7% and predicts her to win with 302 electoral college votes. That's way down from 346 on Oct 17.

I hope the polling ends up wrong and that she wins with a landslide.

And vice versa.

LOL. Did you see Michael Moore's Trumpland yet? He names some things he admires about conservatives, and he's funny about it. And they are positive traits. I thought of a few of my conservatives friends and was like "yeah, they're like that."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTnPEt8a9Vg

Yeah, sometimes I like going out with my conservative friends because they always have shit planned out!

Liberals be like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZDo-udXmgQ

LOL. Did you see Michael Moore's Trumpland yet? He names some things he admires about conservatives, and he's funny about it. And they are positive traits. I thought of a few of my conservatives friends and was like "yeah, they're like that."

I haven't seen it yet. Maybe this weekend, with Youtube Chomecast to my TV. :)

On a positive note for the first time in days the relative spread on FiveThirtyEight has increased, with Clinton gaining 1.6%. and Trump losing the 1.7%. I don't know why, but maybe it's because people are starting to see the FBI leaks as biased. Especially since Giuliani claimed on FuxNews that they leaked to the Trump campaign.

SpyCar Bill predicted thgat the curve would bend upward. Maybe this is what he predicted, just a bit later.

Probabilities at Nov 4 near 1 PM, are 67.8% for Clinton, 32.1% for Trump with a predicted electoral college vote of 296 to 241.

Five days to go. smilie_sh_006.gif

I haven't seen it yet. Maybe this weekend, with Youtube Chomecast to my TV. :)

On a positive note for the first time in days the relative spread on FiveThirtyEight has increased, with Clinton gaining 1.6%. and Trump losing the 1.7%. I don't know why, but maybe it's because people are starting to see the FBI leaks as biased. Especially since Giuliani claimed on FuxNews that they leaked to the Trump campaign.

SpyCar Bill predicted thgat the curve would bend upward. Maybe this is what he predicted, just a bit later.

Probabilities at Nov 4 near 1 PM, are 67.8% for Clinton, 32.1% for Trump with a predicted electoral college vote of 296 to 241.

The race is way too close for my comfort.

Nothing in this endgame matches any prediction of mine.

I never would have guessed the FBI Director would have thrown a spanner in the works in the fashion he has. I'd hoped (expected) there would have been further damage to Trump on all angles, from women, to the Russians, to the mob. So any powers of prognostication on my part suck this time.

I only hope your faith in curves (which I'm more skeptical of when it comes to their inevitability) is justified in this case and that Nov 2 was an inflexion point, with a trend line up.

I've run some nightmare mapping scenarios based on worst case polls, and Trump has a window. That reality makes by blood run cold.

I hope you Floridians are getting out the vote.

Bill

I hope you Floridians are getting out the vote.

My wife and I already voted.

The early vote this year wasn't as strong as it was in 2008 and 2012. When my wife goes to the dog park, she talks to a local black woman who says the black vote this time isn't as strong as it was for Obama. It makes her mad, because she sees Clinton as an extension and validation of Obama's presidency.

Why are US elections so damn long?

And there is an extra hour in the last week thanks to Daylight Savings Time. Seriously?

I see an up-tick for Clinton today.

Fiverthirtyeight is predicting a Clinton win in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Nevada and New Hampshire. She's got a good chance in Florida and North Carolina.

Based on that I think she'll win. If I'm feeling optimistic, with 323 electoral college votes. I have a friend who is a very smart guy with a history of being close: he says 341 electoral college votes at worst. I hope he's right.

Don't forget to vote.

Let me say that again:

Don't forget to vote.

Right now, I'm more concerned about Faithless Electors than I am anything else. At least one elector in washington state has said they will not vote for Hillary Clinton in the electoral college. If it's a close Electoral Vote... that could put Trump in the White House.

I am more concerned about Republican dirty tricks. Who knows how much election fraud they have in place to throw the election Trump's way. How much voter intimidation will occur. How many votes will be stolen in the ballot boxes? How many people will find they have been improperly removed from the voter rolls? How much will gerrymandering effect this election? Is there any way to prevent the USSC from voiding this election and appointing the GOP candidate like they did in 2000? What new tricks will they execute this time?

I am more concerned about Republican dirty tricks. Who knows how much election fraud they have in place to throw the election Trump's way. How much voter intimidation will occur. How many votes will be stolen in the ballot boxes? How many people will find they have been improperly removed from the voter rolls? How much will gerrymandering effect this election? Is there any way to prevent the USSC from voiding this election and appointing the GOP candidate like they did in 2000? What new tricks will they execute this time?

How many people aren't even going to vote for HRC to make sure Trump is defeated?

Who needs Republican dirty tricks when we have self-defeatists?

Bill

I'm too queasy to panic.

Funny you should mention that. I've had a knot in my stomach all day and now I've got a stomach ache.

We're worried about our savings, 6 years from retirement. And we're worried that people will be rounded up and deported. We're worried about health insurance. And that Clinton will be jailed.

I'm worried about being a lesbian Buddhist. Hey, wow, at least I'm white?

Everyone ought to be worried. We've elected the candidate endorsed by white supremacists.

What will happen to Social Security? The EPA? The Department of Education? OSHA?

There's too much uncertainty.