three cheers for the new Nobel Laureate

TheOldBarn

I was into Bob Dylan's lyrics at a very young age. Who wasn't we all might say. Martin Scorsese's, "No Direction Home", is well worth a view!

If you look at how he studied the art of folk song and add to it this his imaginary free verse style it opens up the mind about the times.

I suppose the blues were cabin'd up inside / the mess that just wasn't good enough came up against just what was too much in a lot of ways.

Like there was a better way and yet there were these inconsistencies that just never could be justified in any concrete sort of way.

My two favorite snippets from ol' Bob:

From Brownsville Girl: "People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent."

From Idiot Wind: "Idiot wind, blowing through the dust upon our shelves. We're idiots, babe, it's a wonder we can even feed ourselves."

It's my firm belief that both of these are big general truths.

Leonard Cohen, speaking about Dylan's Nobel, said that it was like pinning a medal on Everest for being the tallest mountain.

Seems like another acknowledgement by Cohen of Dylan's pre-eminence.

There's a story about the two of them talking about their songs. Dylan admired "Hallelujah", and asked how long it took Cohen to write it. Cohen said two years, but I've read that it actually took him five. Then Cohen admired "I and I" and asked how long it took to write that song. Dylan said 15 minutes.

I would love to be able to listen to a private conversation between these two.

Cohen's latest is great:

Hey Laripu,

excellent addition to my post. That is cool, Cohen has as lot to say in many of his poems. I went away from my post about Bob wondering why does this stuff stick inside a brain like mine or anyone else. Maybe Dillon does not want to take credit for his words like people think he does. What if you got paid for great lines, where would great lines come from if you did? In a lot of ways you might get away with such and such, a lot of people do, we sadly might report.

Where does it come from if not for the love of money, the creative mind, creative minds getting together to discuss such things. And all the exotic esoteric gatherings simple folk know nothing about that do happen every day / oh, only to be a fly on the wall or to drill down and read a book every once in a while. Why do we comment here, why do we speak electronically or take the time to interject bits and pieces of what we learn or read about? Surely, everybody's a poet or a politician or in someway not completely right or perfectly correct, we know this, we agree on this much and possibly a whole bit more. Where do we go, where do we go, just where, we don't know, but we have these things in common, we share our views, our simplistic questions, we ask, as I remember in college some girl say, that she felt lost because she started from behind trying so hard only to catch up. I am a very simple person myself, but something I learned only from being around other students makes all the difference in the world to me at least. Everyday I try to set aside a bit of time to Think. A lot...

Peace!