Working On A 1951 Jaguar XK 120

2474_p6_l.jpg

Belongs to the same young guy whose grandfather left him the 1937 Bugatti, and like 25 other antique - classic cars.

I'm doing the wiring, and two of my friends are doing the mechanical end.

I cannot imagine being handed so many beautiful vehicles.

The old boy sold my friends the Packard hearse - ( 1935 I think ); with the stipulation, they drive him to the cemetery when he passes. They did; very honorable - very cool

2474_p6_l.jpg

Belongs to the same young guy whose grandfather left him the 1937 Bugatti, and like 25 other antique - classic cars.

I'm doing the wiring, and two of my friends are doing the mechanical end.

I cannot imagine being handed so many beautiful vehicles.

The old boy sold my friends the Packard hearse - ( 1935 I think ); with the stipulation, they drive him to the cemetery when he passes. They did; very honorable - very cool

I had several British sports cars, and they all had wonky electrical systems. This Jag will probably take me a good month to wire. Probably longer.; but a good indoor cold weather project.

Trying to find original parts is a chore.

I had several British sports cars, and they all had wonky electrical systems. This Jag will probably take me a good month to wire. Probably longer.; but a good indoor cold weather project.

Trying to find original parts is a chore.

It was probably 30 yr ago I did a temp job rewiring a Healy 3000. Lucas electrics in 50's vintage...... are strange. I got it most of the way and had to confess we needed a real pro for the finishing touches, It had an electric fuel pump and I installed a switch ..so...if the switch is off.. hotwiring won't get you anywhere. That's a plus if it's a roadster and often the top is down. That did work well.

A good thing about 50's cars is everything is not hidden by a bunch of panels.I had a 52 Chevy PU.. and the electrics on that were SO simple and accessable.

It was probably 30 yr ago I did a temp job rewiring a Healy 3000. Lucas electrics in 50's vintage...... are strange. I got it most of the way and had to confess we needed a real pro for the finishing touches, It had an electric fuel pump and I installed a switch ..so...if the switch is off.. hotwiring won't get you anywhere. That's a plus if it's a roadster and often the top is down. That did work well.

A good thing about 50's cars is everything is not hidden by a bunch of panels.I had a 52 Chevy PU.. and the electrics on that were SO simple and accessable.

The magical era of automobiles that looked like works of art is long over. Never to be repeated. The 20s & the 30s were breathtaking.

The magical era of automobiles that looked like works of art is long over. Never to be repeated. The 20s & the 30s were breathtaking.

As a kid I had a little metal toy Cord. However..... In the day I did not have the $ to even ponder that. I loved MG-TD's.. and ...in the 60's the prices were not extreme but...As you know.. maintaining old English roadsters was PRICY.

Besides the old Chevy Truck, I had for awhile a 57 Pontiac Cheiftan. I got it VERY cheap but.. it was real ugly. My pal, Rabbit, did backyard Mechanic and did welding. He put Datsun running gear in an old Morris Minor... BIG improvement. He bought a 59 T-Bird cheap.. It had sat in a yard awhile. Not pretty. He got a Ford 429 Cobrajet,the Auto Tranny, a high geared Lincoln 3rd member.

He got rims and a set of wide Mickey Thompson Tired.. real high end then. He put smaller jets in the Carb primary.. bigger in the secondary. He's bought the T Bird for 25 bucks.... put over $1000 in it. That big 429 was like NEW. He upgraded the brakes ,shocks.

The result..... for not a lot of $.... he could drive....."light foot" and get 22 mpg....real good for then. Punch it? Well...I saw him hit 140. We took it up Bear Creek.. a STEEP..... and very twisty road.. and.....omg. The cornering was great and it had all the power you could want. I don't know if he ever got it painted.