Third-Party Voting is the Height of White Privilege

I can afford to throw away my vote.

Im a middle-class, straight, white American Christian man.

I have a lot of margin for error. I can afford to throw away my vote.

To me personally, a Donald Trump presidency would be moderately annoying. Id roll my eyes at the cowboy bluster he calls foreign policy. Id be irritated that rich people get more tax breaks than I do. Id take to Facebook to denounce the right-wing justices he appoints to the Supreme Court, ultimately knowing that their decisions wont have that much effect on me personally, since Im a middle-class, straight white American Christian man.

I could safely join the 30 percent of young people planning to throw away their votes on the Libertarian Gary Johnson or the Green Party candidate Jill Stein.

I could say Im not throwing away my vote. I could say that Im taking a stand, that I refuse to vote for the lesser of two evils, that the Democratic primary was rigged, that the system is broken and this is my statement!

And then if Trump wins Wisconsin because we threw away some votes so what? And if he wins the nation because hes won Wisconsin meh. Ill be fine. Moderately annoyed, but fine. The DNC will have learned its lesson and Ill take comfort knowing that I Took a Stand.

I wont get deported. I wont have members of my faith barred from entering the United States. I wont receive some form of punishment just for making my own health care decisions. I wont get waterboarded. I will be neither stopped nor frisked. I wont ever be asked to show my papers. I wont worry about my village being bombed because my moms second cousin was maybe photographed near someone who said something critical about the United States.

But what about my eldest son a young black man about to go off to college? My wife, a Mexican American born and raised in California? My teenage daughter, who would like to earn equal pay for equal work one day? My younger children, born right here in Madison, Wisconsin, with their mothers olive skin and dark eyes and long black hair?

The Trump Administration would be far worse than annoying for them.

Not to mention every other woman, Muslim, African American, Latino, gay man, lesbian, transgender person or well, just about everyone except us straight American Christian white men.

We'd be fine.

No one else would.

Now, lets be clear: if thats what you want, by all means, own it and vote for Donald Trump. Own it proactively decide that you think Donald Trump should be president. Just dont throw away your vote because you can afford to, like I can.

So far were just talking about the actual government policies Trump has promised. Even more important

If Trump wins on November 8, then November 9 and every other day in America will feel like a Trump rally.

You know the ones the ones where the man who would be president incited and encouraged violence against people who disagree with him.

Thats going to be every day in America under President Donald J. Trump.

In American culture, our leaders set the bar for whats acceptable in civil society. In other words, whatever the president says becomes acceptable in everyday discourse.

Blood coming out of her whatever. She gained a tremendous amount of weight. Drug dealers, criminals, rapists. You walk down the street and get shot. There has to be some form of punishment.

This will become acceptable speech in everyday civil discourse.

White nationalist thugs will feel empowered to assault and berate African Americans, gays, Muslims, and anyone else not like them. Housing discrimination will run rampant. (After all, if the president can decide not to rent to minorities, so can everyone else, right?) The police will feel more empowered than ever to profile and harass people of color. Gender equity will be set back decades as fat-shaming and slut-shaming will become acceptable in everyday discourse.

Is it worth that to make a statement?

If you think so, I call white privilege.

We can sympathize, empathize, click our tongues, shake our heads, call in to liberal radio shows. But when we act only on our own interest thats white privilege.

When we decide that making a statement is more important than standing up for our brothers and sisters thats white privilege.

When we risk only moderate annoyance and in so doing risk actual harm to other people thats white privilege.

When the stakes are low for us, but high for everyone else thats white privilege.

When we proudly declare that we will waste the fundamental right that others fought and died for, and still dont fully have if thats not white privilege, I dont know what is.

As I type this, poor, black, and brown people are being lied to about how to get a voter ID. Many of them will never get their ID, and will never vote. Others will be turned away at the polls.

If you can take your vote for granted if youve never had to jump through hoops to vote, or never had an election observer question your citizenship, or never had to cast a provisional ballot and youre still proud to throw that vote away sorry, thats the height of white privilege.

Madison365, as a rule, doesnt endorse presidential candidates. Personally, I urge you to vote vote for Clinton, vote for Trump. Just dont throw your vote away.

As a middle-aged, middle-class, straight white American Christian man, I can afford to throw away my vote.

But I wont.

For the sake of my family and my children, for the sake of my brothers and sisters of all faiths, for my brothers and sisters in the LGBT community, for my brothers and sisters who dont have a permanent address and cant get the ID required to exercise their fundamental rights as Americans I will not throw away my vote.

I hope you dont either.

http://madison365.com/third-party-vote-height-white-privilege/

Same old stupid fear mongering close minded brainwashed talking point

Fuck that

Vote for who you want to win

Period

Your vote is your consent

If you vote hrc you know what you are consenting to

If you vote trump you know what you are consenting to

I'm not voting for ANY of this shit

My conscience is clear

You assholes who vote for these people would be ashamed of themselves if they had any integrity

white_500x305.jpg

"...That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security..."

Someone who doesn't vote does not have a voice.

Thanks for showing us what a cowardly unamerican putz you are.

no, you fools that vote for these anti constitutional jackasses shouldn't say shit

You are going to vote for a maniac

Fuck your opinion

You voted for a maniac

You don't know shit

Someone who doesn't vote does not have a voice.

Thanks for showing us what a cowardly unamerican putz you are.

no, you fools that vote for these anti constitutional jackasses shouldn't say shit

You are going to vote for a maniac

Fuck your opinion

You voted for a maniac

You don't know shit

lol

I don't think any self respecting black would be seen in his trailer park that has confederate flags adorning the entrance to his hillbilly park.

Blueballs had a rough few days, why with Ted Cruz calling people and stuff