Si si amigo, wherever we go
Good good neighbors we will be

So let’s extend a helping hand
Across the Rio Grande
And help each other too

Let's extend a helping hand

Across the Rio Grande
Like all good ne-igh-bors do ~ oo - oo.

(There were more verses but I've forgotten them since early childhood. But at least a song expressing this sentiment actually existed)

==================================================================================

Why can't the US conduct friendly, peaceful policies toward other nations to create good will; Especially, poorer weaker nations. Why must our foreign relations be constantly adversarial or involve a quid pro quo. There are some exceptions like our language brothers, Britain, Australia/New Zealand, Canada. But we've played the bully in Latin America for about 160 years and extended that behavior to the Eastern Hemisphere since WWII.

The term "Monroe Doctrine" took hold in the 1850s; About 30 years after James Monroe first stated the policy. Since then, with time outs for The Civil and overseas wars, we have intervened in Latin American affairs almost constantly, from invasions, to overthrow and installation of governments, to assassinations.

There has only been one deliberate time out:-- FDR's Good Neighbor Policy.

In an effort to denounce past U.S. interventionism and subdue any subsequent fears of Latin Americans, Roosevelt announced on March 4, 1933, during his inaugural address that: "In the field of World policy, I would dedicate this nation to the policy of the good neighbor, the neighbor who resolutely respects himself and, because he does so, respects the rights of others, the neighbor who respects his obligations and respects the sanctity of his agreements in and with a World of neighbors."[3] In order to create a friendly relationship between the United States and Central as well as South American countries, Roosevelt sought to stray from asserting military force in the region.[4] This position was affirmed by Cordell Hull, Roosevelt's Secretary of State at a conference of American states in Montevideo in December 1933. Hull said: "No country has the right to intervene in the internal or external affairs of another".[5] Roosevelt then confirmed the policy in December of the same year: "The definite policy of the United States from now on is one opposed to armed intervention".[6]

At first, given US history south of the border, many Latin American nations were suspicious. But when US troops were withdrawn and it became obvious the US was sincere, much goodwill was developed, with increased trade and mutual economic benefit. The Good Neighbor Policy came to an end in 1945 during the ramp-up of the cold war with the Soviet Union.

The Good Neighbor Policy lasted just 12 precious years, during which incalculable goodwill was gleaned. Whenever possible, The Good Neighbor Policy should be used as a model for US foreign relations. But we have strayed far from that now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Neighbor_policy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroe_Doctrine

http://ninacamic.blogspot.com/2006_02_06_archive.html

- The only google reference I was able find for the song. Maybe others know more.

Yes. There were at least two animated Disney movies supporting the Good Neighbor Policy "Saludos Amigos" 1942 and "The Three Caballeros" 1944.

One film star that emerged during this time was Carmen Miranda. Used as a product to promote positive hemispheric relations, her films, including The Gang's All Here, explicitly promoted the Good Neighbor Policy. Also, the policy's cultural impact included the launch of CBS Radio's Viva América and Hello Americans programs and the Walt Disney films Saludos Amigos (1942) and The Three Caballeros (1944).

By the end of World War II, Latin America was, according to one historian, the region of the world most supportive of American foreign policy.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Neighbor_policy

200px-Gangs_all_here_trailer.jpg

Carmen Miranda became the

muse of The Good Neighbor

Policy.

How can we be good international neighbors, when so many live in gated neighborhoods, afraid to interact with anyone with less money or other pigmentation.

Distrust took many years to build up, and trust will take many years to reacquire.

Y'know, there's one thing that could help in all sorts of ways: a peacetime draft.

Point taken. How can we respect other nations as equals when there is such vast inequality, between individuals, here in the US. In order to be good neighbors to other nations, we need to learn to be good neighbors here at home.

In the words of FDR:

"In the field of World policy, I would dedicate this nation to the policy of the good neighbor, the neighbor who resolutely respects himself and, because he does so, respects the rights of others, the neighbor who respects his obligations and respects the sanctity of his agreements in and with a World of neighbors."[3]

On the other hand, respect for the other has got to start somewhere. There was plenty of inequality when FDR took office in the grim depths of the Great Depression. Yet, not only did he propose the Good Neighbor Policy, but carried it out, admirably .... And at the same time, worked to alleviate economic inequality, here at home. Being good neighbors with Latin America got us their international support and economic benefits too. Once the effort was made, it proved easier to achieve than the stubborn economic problems, at home.

Y'know, there's one thing that could help in all sorts of ways: a peacetime draft.

I agree. I'm making a new thread out of it.

Great points! The people who secretly moved in to take over the democratically voted for Salvador Allende, in Chili, or say, long before when Persia was constantly being caught between the two advancing imperial powers of Russia and Britain, and the staged coup of the prime minister of Iran in 1954 of the democratically elected Mohammad Mosaddegh.

Let's look at our neighbors and ourselves a bit more. Or are we to become more and more like the warring tribes of old.

Peace!

I recall the Abu Ghraib incident when bush ordered our troops to torture prisoners, and when the word got out, the soldiers were convicted and put in a military prison. bush continued to order prisoners to be tortured, and when found out again in Guantanamo bush has the white house lawyers argue that torture was fine, and no problem. No one pushed this issue and the argument about ignoring the law was apparently fine with both the republicans and democrats.

So what would have happened if any soldier so ordered had stood up and honored his vow and refused to obey bush's illegal orders? Would they have been shot or just put in the prison and tortured themselves?

I don't want to be a forced soldier in such an army, thus I don't feel comfortable asking others. The military needs to be cleaned up before we can have a draft.

I recall the Abu Ghraib incident when bush ordered our troops to torture prisoners, and when the word got out, the soldiers were convicted and put in a military prison. bush continued to order prisoners to be tortured, and when found out again in Guantanamo bush has the white house lawyers argue that torture was fine, and no problem. No one pushed this issue and the argument about ignoring the law was apparently fine with both the republicans and democrats.

So what would have happened if any soldier so ordered had stood up and honored his vow and refused to obey bush's illegal orders? Would they have been shot or just put in the prison and tortured themselves?

I don't want to be a forced soldier in such an army, thus I don't feel comfortable asking others. The military needs to be cleaned up before we can have a draft.

That whole war was so damn poorly planned and the reasons why all start at the top with the Bush Administration and the Generals they hand picked. Only a few privates took the blame for Abu Gharaib, what a travesty!!!

A draft would serve to stop stupid wars before they start - we hope!

Peace!

As I see things, economic sustainability starts with understanding resources all around the globe. Our neighbors to the South need our help and not a kick in the butt by steel toe.

Peace!