The view from other lands

laripu

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35702584

Europe Hates Trump. Does it Matter?

_88550821_trump_dusseldorf.jpg

A carnival float mocking US presidential candidate Donald Trump was displayed in Duesseldorf last month.

- snip -

But the voices of support are drowned out by almost universal condemnation. When it comes to Trump, Europe is apoplectic. Fascinated, but appalled.

I'm sometimes asked by Americans what Brits make of Trump and the best analogy I can come up with is this.

Imagine if your much-respected but slightly annoying older sibling (the US) came home with a fantastically unsuitable date (Trump). Part of you is titillated but part of you is appalled, thinking, "Oh my God, this could go horribly wrong." After Super Tuesday, Europe is fast moving from the former to the latter.

Here's a sample of the public disapproval. Germany's Der Spiegel has called Trump the most dangerous man in the world. Britain's David Cameron says his plan to ban Muslims is divisive and unhelpful.

The French liberal newspaper Liberation has described him as a nightmare turned reality. JK Rowling tweeted that he's worse than Voldemort. A recent Economist cover has a picture of Trump dressed as Uncle Sam with just one word, "Really?" That pretty much sums up the mood of global elites.

- snip -

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35702584

Europe Hates Trump. Does it Matter?

_88550821_trump_dusseldorf.jpg

A carnival float mocking US presidential candidate Donald Trump was displayed in Duesseldorf last month.

- snip -

But the voices of support are drowned out by almost universal condemnation. When it comes to Trump, Europe is apoplectic. Fascinated, but appalled.

I'm sometimes asked by Americans what Brits make of Trump and the best analogy I can come up with is this.

Imagine if your much-respected but slightly annoying older sibling (the US) came home with a fantastically unsuitable date (Trump). Part of you is titillated but part of you is appalled, thinking, "Oh my God, this could go horribly wrong." After Super Tuesday, Europe is fast moving from the former to the latter.

Here's a sample of the public disapproval. Germany's Der Spiegel has called Trump the most dangerous man in the world. Britain's David Cameron says his plan to ban Muslims is divisive and unhelpful.

The French liberal newspaper Liberation has described him as a nightmare turned reality. JK Rowling tweeted that he's worse than Voldemort. A recent Economist cover has a picture of Trump dressed as Uncle Sam with just one word, "Really?" That pretty much sums up the mood of global elites.

- snip -

The Europeans I have encountered seem to like him, but only for his anti-Muslim policies. They have a wave of right-wing populism going on over there and Trump like figures are winning elections. This wave is what drove Brexit.

Swedes are the worst.

I wrote about a couple of encounters over the summer:

https://medium.com/@RDHalifax/summer-2016-encountering-the-european-far-right-in-a-canadian-tourist-trap-c9e1af97f46d#.inewxhbuq

https://medium.com/@RDHalifax/encounters-with-the-european-far-right-in-a-canadian-tourist-trap-part-ii-leafers-f5813e9b199#.9pxxdtm0n

Good observations Souriquois. I guess, in much of Europe, most of the anti-Trump sentiment is coming from intellectual elites, while right wing anti-immigration views are more widespread among ordinary citizens.

Good observations Souriquois. I guess, in much of Europe, most of the anti-Trump sentiment is coming from intellectual elites, while right wing anti-immigration views are more widespread among ordinary citizens.

Very true.

I have given up talking to them. I warned about right-wing populism. Remember, my country went through the wave in the late 2000s and that's how Harper got elected. Seems to be a trend worldwide and we got it over with.

I tried talking to people and bringing up my own experiences, like some bad laws Harper passed, including one I got arrested under, but they weren't listening to me and in fact said we were dumb for voting the populists out.

But now people here hate it... common people, not just the elites. Liberalism isn't so bad when you're reminded of the alternative. And yes, Europe is very much anti-liberal right now, like they sound like Fox News people. I am serious, I was in Geneva and London recently.

Likewise in Canada, right-wingers compare liberal politicians they don't like to Donald Trump lol

so the magic in the world right now in this very moment is not residing here in these United States, maybe in truth it never was. So maybe here there is no real collectively thinking thought that might ring some truth. I don't necessarily fancy any of our trip-ups into so many wars, or the shallowness we hold toward immigrants, legal or illegal, nor the fallacy of standing up to power against the federal government with guns raised high.

I am not into unsanctioned militia minded folks freedom rights movements that say, I need the right to hold onto a weapon as I walk freely down the city, or down the old farm road where ordinary folk go to congregate, no I just don't.

Racism, can't shake that sickness enough, we are too often reminded of this, what with this uncertainty we seem to as a whole, promote more-than maybe many of us can stomach. So we live in an age when there's all of this technology, and yet, somehow we are seemingly stuck in a dark age we all wish to wake up from.

Spend a day in an art studio where they make magnificent pottery, or in a wood shop where they build by hand wonderful furniture, or think, maybe about writing a novel that imagines what it feels like to be alive today someplace faraway in a distant land where they speak a different language and eat different foods and commit themselves to acts of unspeakable love for one another under the sun. Give up, trying to make something perfect, just for once

this guy is like me, I might say, he is a philosopher big brother who reminds me of writers like Steinbeck or Bukowski, or this Socrates cat. Or maybe he is Niche-lite. Yo some days, we all be like Vonnegut mixed with Kafka, the feeling like we are trapped and there is no place to seek expansion of the mind, body, spirit. The GI comes back home wishing there's no place like home, feeling like Dorothy on LSD, trippin' wondering

WTF.

Peace!

I have a friend who spends about 1/2 of his time in Taiwan and China. He has spoken to many about living in the US. When the topic of 9/11 comes up, it is the general consensus of those he talks with that the US did the attacks against themselves on 9/11. Pretty hard to argue against.

Give up, trying to make something perfect, just for once

It's good to know when something is good enough for your purposes, or for the purposes of those you're serving.

On the other hand, it's perfectionists who make things that are very very good. I want perfectionists too.

When I eat in a restaurant, I want the person in charge of cleaning dishes and utensils to be more of a perfectionist, and not someone who thinks "ok, this is good enough, I can barely see the grease on it".

If I have to get surgery, I want the surgeon to fix the problem once and for all and not think "he probably won't tear these stiches".

When they fix the brakes on my car ... well, by now, you get it.

I have a friend who spends about 1/2 of his time in Taiwan and China. He has spoken to many about living in the US. When the topic of 9/11 comes up, it is the general consensus of those he talks with that the US did the attacks against themselves on 9/11. Pretty hard to argue against.

Well, except that it isn't true, and that it's been investigated thoroughly and that bin Laden / Al Qaeda took credit for the operation.

But hey, NASA really did the moon landing on a Hollywood set. My next-door neighbor (when I was a child) tattooed the concentration camp serial numbers on her own arm. And the election is rigged.

In the free society in which we live, conspiracies are rare because they are found out. (e.g. Watergate, Iran/Contra) Even simple lies are found out. (e.g. Lewinsky's dress.) Look at how easily reporters can check the myriad untruths told by Trump and the much small number told by Clinton.

so when I was a young kid I worked along with surgeons and they would cut into the intestine and say how easy it was to screw someone up. You could cut small nerves in the mesenteric organ or leave a wound that would promote adhesion's - I worked in biomedical research when I was nineteen with real surgeons from the University of Michigan on dogs and pigs and goats.

You can't see a lot of what you're cutting on they would laugh, it's almost as if you need a microscope to see exactly what you might be cutting on in here. Showed me a baseball and a purse string stitch they would let me close things up and I got pretty good for a kid they said.

Well, perfect is different when you are where we are now. Depends on how much you got to pay. That's what I mean. It's funny, everybody, even liberals miss the point. Yes, the best, be all that you can be at whatever it is you do is a practical and true virtue. Obviously it is Laripu.

Peace!

Well, except that it isn't true, and that it's been investigated thoroughly and that bin Laden / Al Qaeda took credit for the operation.

But hey, NASA really did the moon landing on a Hollywood set. My next-door neighbor (when I was a child) tattooed the concentration camp serial numbers on her own arm. And the election is rigged.

In the free society in which we live, conspiracies are rare because they are found out. (e.g. Watergate, Iran/Contra) Even simple lies are found out. (e.g. Lewinsky's dress.) Look at how easily reporters can check the myriad untruths told by Trump and the much small number told by Clinton.

So, you are saying that if 9/11 was a conspiracy we would know about it. Well, the official story is a conspiracy. Our government said Bin laden conspired to blow up the buildings. They even put out a video in which they claimed Bin laden took responsibility. I watched that video, except it wasn't Bin laden. When many people pointed out that it clearly wasn't bin laden, the video was taken down, and only the transcript remained.

I would like to believe the official story, but it is just too stupid to believe. Do you really believe that the best military pilots in the world got lost over the Atlantic Ocean for over 7 hours trying to navigate from Boston to New York? Do you really believe the US only had two jets in the entire US military? Do you really believe that the best way to handle a crime scene is to ship all the evidence to China as fast as possible?

On the other hand, it our government conspired to destroy the WTC on 9/11 people would know about it. How about 1 billion people in China know the official story is plain bunk. Not only isn't it true, it can't be true. Radar really does work inside the USA. Perhaps you think it is a conspiracy of engineers and scientists who claim the official story is impossible to believe. Is that the "conspiracy" you are talking about?