HuffPost article on Clinton

laripu

Cohn seems very familiar with Hillary's history, political agenda, modus operandi and personal style. It seems unlikely he made anything up. The portrait he paints of her is more far more Liberal than NeoLiberal. Clinton's advocacy for the poor, public education reform, plans for the infrastructure, childcare, job creation .... and the willingness to progressively tax the populace to pay for it all .... These are all real.

But the article was also troubling, largely in its omissions. It says not one word explaining Clinton's flip-flop on TPP. It does not attempt to analyze the drawbacks of Clinton's weak ability to get the populace behind her .... A potentially powerful tool, if one is to work across the aisle. Clinton seems to have difficulty getting her detailed plans simplified and spread beyond the small circle of policy experts that hatched them. The article briefly mentions that Clinton wants to bring back some of the bargaining power of labor unions. This, at a time when unions are all but going extinct. The article briefly mentions the money Clinton raked in making speeches to Conservative groups and that she has kept company with top Wall St execs. Again, with no further commentary.

But one thing came through. Hillary seems more Liberal than Bill.

In many ways, Clinton is antivenom to Trump's venom. To suggest that she would be equivalent to him in any way, as president, is a mistake. In addition to being a regressive, misogynistic sociopath, Trump appears to have no strong passions but acquisitiveness, vengeance and prestige. Where Clinton is a vastly knowledgeable policy wonk, Trump is an ignorant, blustering fool. Unfortunately, he's a practiced showman and con-artist whose followers find him charismatic.

I am anticipating the upcoming presidential debates with some trepidation. If Trump is allowed, he will attack Hillary with with fiction and glib lies. And then he will contradict her factual points by accusing her of lying. Trump's innumerable faults notwithstanding, he is great at making up hokum, and saying it with poise and conviction.

Trump must not be allowed to bulldoze Hillary with lies.

https://www.thenation.com/article/yes-donald-trump-can-win-the-first-debate-heres-how/

Fox News host Chris Wallace, the moderator for the final debate, has already announced that he doesn’t think fact-checking is his job. NBC’s Lester Holt, the respected Nightly News anchor, hasn’t weighed in on the question. The Clinton campaign has begun working the refs, demanding that moderators indeed check the candidates’ facts. Trump is, hilariously and predictably, on record saying they should not.

money, the big money moves the small minds.

I'm bent. See, Hillary, while it is true that she is no great orator, while she lacks in the oratory to challenge good minds, she also comes after Barack, who is a great orator, and one who can indeed challenge good minds, however, what did he achieve in all this strife, where the center moves to the right in the neo liberal / neo con political sway.

I'm fifty five feeling like I'm much older by knowing shit that went down not eons ago, but relatively recently. It's like someday's I feel thinned out like I'm a ghost. Didn't this nation fuck up in Vietnam big time, didn't we see what went down only a decade ago in Iraq, what's going on now in Afghanistan, what went down before that after Russia blew that place to hell?

Tell me about Hosni Mubarak / doesn't anyone remember him? Or the Shah of Iran, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi / or the years of war between Iraq and Iran there after?

I went to college and studied economics once, and they were not all liberal professors, far from it as I remember.

What about a transaction tax on trades in the stock market as Bernie Sanders suggested - that's not wacky at all BTW, it makes damn good sense.

I know a CEO at a large fortune 500 corp --- He spends of his days talking to Senators and Congress folks. He is a nice fellow, however he is bent on growth, the stockholders demand as much or so the story goes.

You buy companies and oh yeah, maybe some charity, maybe some consideration on employee growth - you know the new buzz words, don't stay in your silo, get out and communicate, coming from the corporate mind springs

of corporate human resources bull.

Public school no good for you, the poor, why not, why not, allow for private, we all are told that privately run entities perform because of the invisible hand of capitalism myths that rule. and they do.

So there's this counter mythology to liberal progressive thought built-in that does not necessarily need or even heed much fact.

It's there in the media today, most of it ran by big companies / whether cable or network or even print.

Peace!

Peace!

It's weird, I agree that Hillary doesn't standout as a great orator, someone who can challenge minds, make them think more clearly, and motivate. However, at the very same time, Obama could, and yet, things, well much of the populace, did not heed the clarion call.

So there's the media / cable, network,newsprint included- misinformation, some of it economically speaking, irrational at best. So I go to beat the press daily to see through the crap show.

It is a crap show you know. A roll of the dice - is how they seem to describe it, it seems.

Peace!

I went to college and studied economics once, and they were not all liberal professors, far from it as I remember.

What about a transaction tax on trades in the stock market as Bernie Sanders suggested - that's not wacky at all BTW, it makes damn good sense.

I know a CEO at a large fortune 500 corp --- He spends of his days talking to Senators and Congress folks. He is a nice fellow, however he is bent on growth, the stockholders demand as much or so the story goes.

You studied economics? Did you have a textbook written by Anna Koutsoyiannis? I knew her and her son in the 80s. She was at University of Ottawa. She committed suicide, having been diagnosed with incurable cancer.

Taxing stock market trades will hurt a lot of middle-class people who depend on their 401K for eventual retirement income. People like me.

I prefer straight income tax. In fact, I'd dump all other taxes, and make a progressive income tax that takes modern incomes into account and taxes high incomes at high rates: marginal tax rates at 80% for incomes over $5 million.