Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bludog

I'm Not Holding My Breath But ....

I wouldn't happily vote for Joe Biden. Especially since he's a big supporter of TPP. Remember: One of the things people hit Hillary on, despite the fact that she's been against it for a long time now.

Why does Hillary have to represent women? Does Barack Obama have to represent men? Would Bernie Sanders or Joe Biden have to? Does Donald Trump have to? What does it even mean that she doesn't 'represent women'?

It's past time for a woman with a shot at winning to be running for President. I don't think the first needs to have any sort of special qualifications where she represents all women. It's easy for people to say "Oh yeah, I'd vote for a woman. Just not Hillary." And what woman would you vote for exactly? How many women are in line to even run for President? And of course if Joe Biden had won this time, he'd run again in 2020. Meaning we'd have to wait until at least 2024 for the first female candidate with a serious shot at winning. And that's assuming another male doesn't win in 2024--after all by then Elizabeth Warren will be 75, and Kirsten Gillibrand--but I'm sure most consider her too conservative and centrist too.

I feel that a President needs to represent both women and men. He or she needs to make sure that the rights of both are valued. However, there are plenty of women that feel that the first female President of the USA should especially represent women. What does that mean? Different things to different women.

For me, though, as a woman, it means not insulting stay-at-home moms sitting around 'baking cookies'. It means not tearing apart women who step forward to accuse your husband of the creepy things he did because it hurts his and your own political image. And it means that, if you've done the former, you need to damn well apologize for it. You insulted my mother, Hillary, and I am still waiting for that apology. You do NOT get to insult my mother. It means not allowing one of your representatives to insinuate that there's a special place in hell for women who don't support Hillary. It means not insinuating or not allowing her representatives to insinuate that I should vote for her just because we both happen to have vaginas.

I would love a female President. I have a number of women I would happily vote for. Elizabeth Warren is one. Jan Schakowsky is another. Maybe Wendy Davis, though I haven't heard from her for a while. Possibly Michelle Obama. And I am sure there are any number of great women out there that I have not yet heard of. NOT Carly Fiorina. NOT Condoleeza Rice. NOT Hillary Clinton.

But more than the rest, to me gender is secondary, tertiary, or even further down the line. I'm content to wait for a female President I actually can support, who represents what I believe in. More than that, though, I want to vote for someone I truly believe will be a good President who really cares about the country and its people far more than personal gain or power. That isn't, and never has been, Hillary Clinton.

The DNC did not "anoint" the nominee, she was chosen by the Democratic process (and mostly democratic process, which over-represented Bernie Sanders' support among voters).

The best and most qualified person running is the Democratic nominee for president. Attacks on the only liberal in the race only advantage Donald Trump.

Bill

I would love a female President. I have a number of women I would happily vote for. Elizabeth Warren is one. Jan Schakowsky is another. Maybe Wendy Davis, though I haven't heard from her for a while. Possibly Michelle Obama. And I am sure there are any number of great women out there that I have not yet heard of. NOT Carly Fiorina. NOT Condoleeza Rice. NOT Hillary Clinton.

Elizabeth Warren: endorses Hillary Clinton

Jan Schakowsky: endorses Hillary Clinton

Wendy Davis: endorses Hillary Clinton

Michelle Obama: endorses Hillary Clinton

You respect the politics of all those women so much that you think you could vote for them for president. Except for the political opinion they all share that Hillary Clinton should be president. On that, you believe they're all wrong. Bernie Sanders too. Wrong.

Since you respect their politics and they all agree on this, do you think they might have a point?

To me, it's very important to see a woman elected President. I have five young daughters who are following this election intently, and it will ultimately influence their ideas of what is possible for them to do. Just as it will for many many other young girls out there watching this election. I'm tired of waiting around for the first female candidate. It's ridiculous when 50.9% of the population is women, and we've not even had a major party candidate until now. I'm tired of sitting around waiting.

Given that the other viable option is a misogynist who only values women on the basis of their appearance, and who has openly stated that he thinks women should be punished for having an abortion--it's not even close for me. And that's not to mention his policy stances on education (wants to privatize) on trade (he doesn't want any) and on so many other issues. Not to mention that he's picked a religious fanatic like Mike Pence as his running mate. I'm not sure how I'd even consider telling my children that I wouldn't vote for Hillary against an insane man like that. Especially if i would be willing to vote for Joe TPP (and against Trump, I would).

Elizabeth Warren: endorses Hillary Clinton

Jan Schakowsky: endorses Hillary Clinton

Wendy Davis: endorses Hillary Clinton

Michelle Obama: endorses Hillary Clinton

You respect the politics of all those women so much that you think you could vote for them for president. Except for the political opinion they all share that Hillary Clinton should be president. On that, you believe they're all wrong. Bernie Sanders too. Wrong.

Since you respect their politics and they all agree on this, do you think they might have a point?

I respect them greatly. That does not mean I always agree with them. I respect them enough to support them even when we do not always agree. I can recognize their points even if I do not see things the same way. One of the points of disagreement is this: I do not agree with them in regards to Hillary Clinton. That has nothing to do with my support for them.

To me, it is also very important to have a female President. However, it is far more important to have a GOOD President. Neither candidate is, in my opinion, a good or even acceptable choice. We have a misogynist versus a woman who covered for her husband's sexual misconduct and tried to destroy the women who made the claims. She's not the example I want for my nieces.

To me, it is also very important to have a female President. However, it is far more important to have a GOOD President. Neither candidate is, in my opinion, a good or even acceptable choice. We have a misogynist versus a woman who covered for her husband's sexual misconduct and tried to destroy the women who made the claims. She's not the example I want for my nieces.

This is completely true and the people totally got cheated out in the Democratic Primary Bernie would have way better represented the people than Hillary.

and then there is Trump....

This is completely true and the people totally got cheated out in the Democratic Primary Bernie would have way better represented the people than Hillary.

and then there is Trump....

The people didn't get cheated. The people voted for Hillary Clinton. The primary is over. Way over.

These attacks on the Democratic nominee are counter-productive (and untrue).

Bill

a woman who covered for her husband's sexual misconduct

Whether or not that was misconduct is a private matter for her to judge. For all we know they have an open marriage, and she has affairs too. Many people on the right claim she's having sex with Huma Abedin. I don't care ... what the Clintons do with their pudenda is not my business.

He was a good president. She's less charismatic, but might be a better president.

I don't care who Bill Clinton had a consensual sexual relationship with. What I *do* care about is a woman who claims she is for women's rights who went after women who Bill harassed and tried to destroy them.

He was a somewhat tolerable President, but he also was a corporatist.