North Korea bans sarcasm

laripu

North Korea has banned sarcasm.

http://www.ibtimes.com/north-korea-bans-sarcasm-quell-public-discontent-report-2413042

My wife and I, disgusted at how Republicans might blame everything on Obama, will sometimes sarcastically say "It's Obama's fault" about occurrences that are completely unrelated to the President. For example, if I spill something in the kitchen.... "It's Obama's fault!"

In North Korea, Kim Jong Un is starting to be referred to as “a fool who cannot see the outside world”. His regime has so often blamed America for the shortcomings of that repressive regime, that people are starting to sarcastically say "It's America's fault" for unrelated events.

And now, that can get you the death penalty in North Korea. It's Obama's fault.

It's interesting. In the army, the NCO's used to say that there would be something wrong if the troops stopped complaining. They considered venting to be healthy behavior.

Kim Jong Un seems more like a chubby, privileged, Mafia boss, surrounded by yes men, than the leader of a nation. North Korea must have mounting tensions, the nature of which, are being kept within.

Kim Jong Un seems more like a chubby, privileged, Mafia boss, surrounded by yes men, than the leader of a nation.

Yes. That's something I've been saying about North Korea, ISIS, and Putin for quite some time.

Any government, anywhere, has the potential to turn into a mafia. (Nixon tried and failed.) We need to guard against that with "eternal vigilance" (aka the price of liberty) and the constitution.

It's very difficult for someone to be successful at that in this country, but we shouldn't let that lull us into a sense of security.

How can they tell the difference between someone blaming the US sarcastically and someone blaming the US sincerely?

A lot of North Koreans believe the state propaganda.

I imagine if someone spills a glass of water and then says "It's America's fault", listeners will understand it as sarcastic. i.e. Anything unrelated.

I imagine if someone spills a glass of water and then says "It's America's fault", listeners will understand it as sarcastic. i.e. Anything unrelated.

This sort of reminds me of a Mexican saying.

In the Mexican American War the Americans laid siege to Chapultapec Castile (formerly Emperor Agustin Iturbide's Palace, then the national military school, which was built like a fort). As the brave students died, their classmates wrapped them in the national flag and threw them from the battlements. Every 13th of September there is a ceremony in the Monumento de los Ninos Heroes atthe entrance of Chapultepec park. Each of the names of the child heroes is shouted and the troops fire a gun and everyon says "Murió por la Patria! (He died for the Motherland!).

When driving down the highway, when a bug goes splat on the windshield, Mexicans are apt to say "Murió por la Patria!

This sort of reminds me of a Mexican saying.

In the Mexican American War the Americans laid siege to Chapultapec Castile (formerly Emperor Agustin Iturbide's Palace, then the national military school, which was built like a fort). As the brave students died, their classmates wrapped them in the national flag and threw them from the battlements. Every 13th of September there is a ceremony in the Monumento de los Ninos Heroes atthe entrance of Chapultepec park. Each of the names of the child heroes is shouted and the troops fire a gun and everyon says "Murió por la Patria! (He died for the Motherland!).

When driving down the highway, when a bug goes splat on the windshield, Mexicans are apt to say "Murió por la Patria!

This reminds me of when there's one food item left over on the table, not enough to wrap up and refrigerate, but neither my wife nor myself is hungry. One of us will say, "eat it for the good of the country". (Usually I'm the "more patriotic" one. ;) )

AS a child, I was told that when I did not finish my vegetables, I should think of the starving people in Europe. After that it was the starving people in China. When the Chinese became Communists, the starving people moved to India.

When I finally said, "Let's mail these green beans to the starving people", they quit trying to guilt me with that.

My mother and her family were Methodists, and nowhere near as good at guilt as Jews or Catholics. The Methodists are an offshoot of the Anglicans, and therefore have a large dose of the Anglican trait of being unenthusiastic and boooring.

AS a child, I was told that when I did not finish my vegetables, I should think of the starving people in Europe. After that it was the starving people in China. When the Chinese became Communists, the starving people moved to India.

When I finally said, "Let's mail these green beans to the starving people", they quit trying to guilt me with that.

You're not the only one. I got the same thing, except the country was never identified, but instead it was "children in poor countries don't have enough to eat".

I was slow in response, but when I became a back-talking teenager, I used to say that you'd have to be starving to eat this stuff. My attitude was not appreciated. :)