Obama nominates first-ever Muslim to serve as a US federal judge

drvoke

barack.jpg

This was a stupid ass move two months before the presidential election. I bet Hillary feels like kicking him in the balls.

The guy sounds more than qualified and people fucked with JFK too about his Catholicism, but right before the election? Not the best strategy imo.

President Barack Obama today nominated Abid Riaz Qureshi to serve on the US District Court for the District of Columbia, often seen as a major feeder court for the US Circuit Court of Appeals.

“I am pleased to nominate Mr. Qureshi to serve on the United States District Court bench,” Obama said in a statement. “I am confident he will serve the American people with integrity and a steadfast commitment to justice.”

With the current freeze on confirmation for Obama’s judicial nominees - particularly would-be supreme court justice Merrick Garland, whose nomination to replace the late Antonin Scalia has been stymied by Republican lawmakers since March - it is unlikely that Qureshi will be confirmed before the end of Obama’s presidential term, but the nomination is still historic. Of the more than 3,000 federal judges currently serving in the US judiciary, not a single one is an observant Muslim.

“I commend President Obama for taking this important step in continuing to pick the best and brightest from every community to serve as part of our nation’s judiciary,” Farhana Khera, executive director of Muslim Advocates, a legal advocacy organization,declared in a statement.

“A judiciary that reflects the rich diversity of our nation helps ensure the fair and just administration of the law, and it is vital for American Muslims to be included,” Khera continued. “Mr. Qureshi’s profound commitment to the rule of law and justice for people of all backgrounds makes him an exceptional nominee.”

Obama’s would-be successor, Donald Trump, has declared that it’s “absolutely” possible that he would be treated unfairly by a Muslim judge, echoing his declaration that a federal judge of Mexican descent could not fairly oversee a fraud suit against one of his companies because of his ethnicity.

Qureshi is a partner at the law firm of Latham & Watkins, where he specializes in cases involving the health care fraud and securities violations. Qureshi is also the recipient of the “Champions of Justice” Award in 2012 by the National Law Journal’s Legal Times.

the islamic pig will not be confirmed ,,, but yes bad timing i hope the media picks up on it

I doubt if the media will highlight it. It was way down the list of topics at The Huffington Post (no surprise there) but also one other news site. Can't remember if it was the Post or the Times.

This was a stupid ass move two months before the presidential election. I bet Hillary feels like kicking him in the balls.

Is this guy going to uphold the Constitution, or Sharia law? It can't be both, since much of the two are mutually exclusive.

Obama is not going to let hatred led by Trump to stop nominating perfectly qualified individuals...

This is Obama telling Trump America, in Trumps own infamous words..."go fuck yourself!!"

Fixed that for you.