Tacos Tonight

• 2 weeks later...

Actually soft shell burritos. I always use the Old El Paso GRANDE tortilla wraps. I do not care for the small sissy tortilla wraps. I like a wrap you can get into a headlock.

Anyone aware of an even larger warp than the GRANDE? If so, let me know.

To me.. Taco is corn Tortilla and standard size (soft or crisp) . In PA or OH..... I do not expect any "unusual huge" tortilla. You may find such in Texas or California. We DO have a Mega supermarket near that is big on unique ethnic stuff. Next time I'm there I should look for giant Tortilla. Usually I go for the Amish Cheese and all the great Asian stuff. Now, Krogers has a good selection of Mexican. I don't need a supersize Tortilla. No reason a 14" is not doable but...10" works okay.

I don't know what genuine Mexican food is like, but I've had Mexican food in restaurants in Florida, Texas, and Canada, and about 90% of the time I don't like it. (I did like the beef fajitas at Lone Star Grill in Ottawa, Canada, in the 80s, but that was more like Tex-Mex. The owners of that place were a couple of ex-Texans.)

What an I missing? Most of the Mex food I've eaten is goopy, cheese-heavy, tasteless refried bean shit. Why do people like it? My favorite thing at Mex restaurants is the salsa.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know what genuine Mexican food is like, but I've had Mexican food in restaurants in Florida, Texas, and Canada, and about 90% of the time I don't like it. (I did like the beef fajitas at Lone Star Grill in Ottawa, Canada, in the 80s, but that was more like Tex-Mex. The owners of that place were a couple of ex-Texans.)

What an I missing? Most of the Mex food I've eaten is goopy, cheese-heavy, tasteless refried bean shit. Why do people like it? My favorite thing at Mex restaurants is the salsa.

Well..I do like Cheese. I also was a cook in California and worked with Chinese Cooks, Mexican cooks (and others). Taco Bell is fast food but they have explored a bit.. still.. NOT primo. Good Mexican is not posh... as a rule ....the CHILIS are a big deal..... MANY variations. I thought the Ahi Tuna Tacos at Rosa's were stunning. Taqueria Vallerta did huge burritos to die for (and NOT expensive). I worked with a Mexican Granny who did top notch tamales and taught me Chile Verde. Enchiladas, Chile Rellenos, any sort of Mole.... can be nice. I favor Frijoles loaded up with bacon and cheese ..but I also like to use whole black beans.

There's MANY salsas....Rosa's had a great Salsa bar.. eggplant salsa, pineapple.. 911 (very hot habanero base) and the classic pico de gallo. I cook. I LIKE Italian, French,Mexican, Japanese, Chinese. I DO Thai/VIET ..sort of.. but have no real expertise there. I like American..... hamburgers,mash potatoes. I love to BBQ. BBQ is almost global. I LOVE smoked Prawns in sushi. I like to do up smoked pork for Mexican yummies or Smoked grilled salmon in any context.