U.S. Veterans Are Coming To Colin Kaepernick’s Defense In Droves

The hashtag #VeteransForKaepernick is taking off.

Ever since Colin Kaepernick decided to sit during the national anthem at an NFL preseason game last week, one of the more common criticisms leveled against the San Francisco 49ers quarterback has been that he is disrespecting veterans by not paying proper tribute to the American flag.

Kaepernicks own former teammate, the Minnesota Vikings Alex Boone, for one, expressed his frustration with the quarterbacks protest on Sunday. Boone saw it as an affront to veterans, like Boones own brother. You should have some (expletive) respect for people who served, Boone told USA Today.

Kaepernick has tried to make clear that he does not wish to disrespect any military veterans in the days since his protest. Rather, he believes the ideals for which they risk their lives are not being similarly protected at home.

I have great respect for the men and women that have fought for this country, he said Sunday. I have family, I have friends that have gone and fought for this country. And they fight for freedom, they fight for the people, they fight for liberty and justice, for everyone.

But, he added. People are dying in vain because this country isnt holding their end of the bargain up, as far as giving freedom and justice, liberty to everybody.

Large numbers of Americans have continued to criticize Kaepernick in the days after his comments. But a noteworthy group has also started to speak up in his defense: veterans themselves. Over the last day, military veterans have taken to Twitter and other social media in support not only of Kaepernicks right to free speech, but of the particulars of his message, too.

If you havent served, dont speak on my behalf, one veteran wrote.

I serve for his right to protest.. I dont serve for Police Brutality.. another wrote.

Below youll find just some of the posts in defense of Kaepernick. Believe us when we say there are many more all over the internet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/veterans-for-kaepernick_us_57c6d704e4b0a22de09325f4?

Stanfill @ShimmiHendrix

My father, a marine served his country in Vietnam. He says "we're far from justice for all" #VeteransForKaepernick

9:39 PM - 30 Aug 2016

Meghan @KristenMeghan

I'm a disabled veteran & haven't stood for the Anthem since I separated. We are not free!

11:43 PM - 30 Aug 2016

Air BNB Papi

JoeOnDemand

I serve for his right to protest.. I don't serve for Police Brutality.. #VeteransForKaepernick

9:43 PM - 30 Aug 2016

22,714 Retweets

Baltic Avenue @Baltic_Avenue

#VeteransForKaepernick because I didn't volunteer to defend a country where police brutality is swept under the rug.

Coleman Chase @colemanachase

Free speech is free speech, all the time #VeteransForKaepernick

SH?N @brownlashon

if you haven't served, don't speak on my behalf #VeteransForKaepernick

READ MANY OTHER COMMENTS SUPPORTING KAEPERNICK BY OUR MILITARY IN THE LINK

I'll take Colin Kaepernick exercising his Constitutional rights over a lazy and traitorous Legislative Branch refusing to fill an empty position on our Supreme Court any day.

So you must support him when he said Hillary belongs in prison right?

"People of color have been targeted by police," Kaepernick said. "So that's a large part of it and they're government officials. They are put in place by the government. So that's something that this country has to change. There's things we can do to hold them more accountable. Make those standards higher. You have people that practice law and are lawyers and go to school for eight years, but you can become a cop in six months and don't have to have the same amount of training as a cosmetologist."

After Kaepernick's interview, the San Francisco Police Officers Association sent out a letter blasting his comments.

Well, if they weren't happy with his comments, they're probably not going to like his practice socks.

It appears that over the past few weeks, Kaepernick has been wearing socks that show a pig in a cop's hat.

Screw him

He should be judged on his ability to play football.
But of course football is trivial compared to the real goal of the NFL: to make a lot of money for the owners.

Sitting down while they play the National Anthem is trivial. But people who think they are "patriots" are also trivial.