Trump Caught Illegally Buying $55,000 Worth Of His Own Books

http://addictinginfo.org/2016/08/24/trump-caught-illegally-buying-55000-worth-of-his-own-book-with-campaign-donations/

Donald Trump has been caught buying $55,000 worth of his own books and he paid this hefty bill with money from campaign donations, which is flat out illegal if he gets any royalties from the sales.

As reported by The Daily Beast:

According to a spokesperson for Trump, these books were purchased for gift bags given to delegates at the Republican National Convention. Indeed, delegates did each receive a copy of Crippled America along with miscellaneous Make America Great Again gear and a plastic fetus, all neatly stuffed into tote bags bearing the same trademark slogan.

“On May 10, the Trump campaign paid Barnes & Noble $55,055, according to a filing with the Federal Election Commission. That amounts to more than 3,500 copies of the hardcover version of Crippled America: How to Make America Great Again, or just over 5,000 copies of the renamed paperback release, Great Again: How to Fix Our Crippled America.”

But here is where the problem lies, under Federal Elections Committee rules, Trump cannot legally be paid royalties on the books bought by the campaign.

Paul Ryan (not the one you are thinking of), from the nonpartisan nonprofit Campaign Legal Center, explains:

Neither the Trump campaign nor the book’s publisher, Simon & Schuster, has been willing to comment. Regardless, federal campaign law clearly states that campaign spending cannot “result in the conversion of campaign funds to the personal use of the candidate or any other person.”

“It’s fine for a candidate’s book to be purchased by his committee, but it’s impermissible to receive royalties from the publisher,” Ryan said. “That amounts to an illegal conversion of campaign funds to personal use. There’s a well established precedent from the FEC that funds from the campaign account can’t end up in your own pocket.”

“It may be the case for a candidate to instead donate those royalties to charity—that might be a permissible arrangement,” said the CLC’s Ryan. “But the bottom line is, no money of this $55,000 from the book can end up in Donald Trump’s pocket without violating federal law.”

It isn’t exactly unusual for celebrities or politicians to buy copies of their own books, or to give them away. However, Ben Bruton, who has spent the past 25 years working in publishing public relations, the circumstances surrounding Trump’s purchase is “suspicious.”

If Trump’s books were bought at a brick and mortar store like Barnes and Noble, then they will count towards best-seller lists.

“What any author that I know would most likely do is go to the publisher and say, ‘I want a bunch of these in the goody bag.’ [The author would] come to the publisher and say he needed books for a charity or an event, and we would donate 500 all the time. And we’ll sell more to you at a 40 percent discount,“ said Bruton.

“The red flag, I think, would be that they’re trying to get back on The[New York] Times Best Sellers list, or they’re trying to buy them at retail for royalties.”

“I’ve worked at four different of the major six publishing houses and a lot of times people want to buy a bunch of books to get on the list. You can’t do it from Amazon. You can’t buy them from the publisher,” said Bruton. “Only buying from place likes Barnes & Noble at full price is looked at as sales.”

Bruton added that at least the Times’ list is aware of the possibility of authors buying their way to the top with bulk sales and has penalties in place to prevent this.

“That’s how the Times keeps that sort of in check, so you can’t just buy your way onto the Best Sellers list,“ he said. “However, I do believe that was definitely an attempt to both make money and to get onto the best-seller list,” Bruton added.

Oh whoopde fuck.

You're such a twit.

kid_throwing_tantrums.jpg

"Trump can't get royalties."

BFD. (Big Fucking Deal)

So he won't take the royalties.

He'll probably donate them to the flood victims and you will be all pissed off ... for real.

Hahaahaaaaa.

kj

Con man

It's a trick rightwingers have been doing for years. Buying their own books in bulk, and then having paid shills on AM talkradio, and Fox announce their books are best sellers on the best seller list.

In the first place there isn't one single right winger that's intelligent enough to write a book.

As usual, their work ethic consists of having somebody else do that for them to.

Ever notice how many of the same right wingers you hear on AM talkradio and Fox for the last 10 years or so, all have books?

None of them of any import, substance, or value. Just ghost written crap they spew all day on radio shows and Fox News interviews anyway.

A right winger can make a scam even out of writing a book. Something that used to be a noble endeavor.

Hustlers gotta hustle.

back to the old psychology of seriousness of the accusation crap. Seen a lot of ifs in that supposition. Tends to make me think it is a simple diversion away from Hillary's donation to Bill's foundation for reducing her tax bill. What did she save on the million going to that money laundering project? couple of hundred thousand.

what does it matter, they said it was legal.

Oh whoopde fuck.

You're such a twit.

kid_throwing_tantrums.jpg

"Trump can't get royalties."

BFD. (Big Fucking Deal)

So he won't take the royalties.

He'll probably donate them to the flood victims and you will be all pissed off ... for real.

Hahaahaaaaa.

kj

Still mad Hillary kicked your ass to the curb on emails?

It's a trick rightwingers have been doing for years. Buying their own books in bulk, and then having paid shills on AM talkradio, and Fox announce their books are best sellers on the best seller list.

In the first place there isn't one single right winger that's intelligent enough to write a book.

As usual, their work ethic consists of having somebody else do that for them to.

Ever notice how many of the same right wingers you hear on AM talkradio and Fox for the last 10 years or so, all have books?

None of them of any import, substance, or value. Just ghost written crap they spew all day on radio shows and Fox News interviews anyway.

A right winger can make a scam even out of writing a book. Something that used to be a noble endeavor.

Hustlers gotta hustle.

obama used tax payer money to buy his books that he gave away,, trump spent his own money.

stupid liar lib

Trump is supposedly 100 times richer than Obama but we will never know the truth because of folks like you who spread lies

I would pay no more for the Art of the Deal than a roll of toilet paper

I would buy toilet paper and leave Art of the Deal on the self. never tweaked my interest when it first came out and I thought it was a scam then, only thing changed since is the Republican primary left me having him as a lesser of two evils to vote for. that is reality and why I don't like reality completely. So I try to explain what can fix the parts i don't like, and those are the parts corruption doesn't want changed.

so I keep my distance from the social implosion about to hit global governance through the arts of educating self deception to every ancestor added to the atmosphere. Most saving society don't have a clue on what it takes to adapt self contained to their own skin after generations working as a cast of people arguing real doesn't matter.