Jump to content

Watchdog: Donors got access to Clinton's State Dept.


Z09
 Share

Recommended Posts

Newly released emails reveal more instances of the Clinton Foundation appearing to reach out to then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s State Department for favors involving wealthy donors – including Crown Prince Salman of Bahrain – according to a watchdog group that fought to obtain the emails.

Judicial Watch, which released the documents Monday, said in a statement that the messages show Clinton aide Huma Abedin “provided influential Clinton Foundation donors special, expedited access to the secretary of state.” The documents include exchanges not previously turned over to the State Department.

The exchange involving the crown prince of Bahrain occurred in June 2009. It started with top foundation official Doug Band notifying Abedin that the crown prince was coming to the U.S. and seeking a meeting. He noted he is a “good friend of ours.”

Abedin wrote back that the crown prince had asked to see Clinton through “normal channels.”

She added: “I asked and she said she doesn’t want to commit to anything for thurs or fri until she knows how she will feel. Also she says that she may want to go to ny and doesn’t want to be committed to stuff in ny.”

Two days later, Abedin wrote to Band saying they were offering up a morning meeting between Clinton and the crown prince.

The latest headlines on the 2016 elections from the biggest name in politics. See Latest Coverage →

As noted by Judicial Watch, the foundation website says the crown prince committed to an international scholarship program in 2005, through the Clinton Global Initiative. According to the site, this commitment was worth $32 million, in addition to other reported donations from the Kingdom of Bahrain.

The Clinton campaign, though, pushed back on the Judicial Watch claims, pointing to the original Abedin email that said the crown prince went through “normal channels.”

"Once again this right-wing organization that has been going after the Clintons since the 1990s is distorting facts to make utterly false attacks,” spokesman Josh Schwerin said in a statement. “No matter how this group tries to mischaracterize these documents, the fact remains that Hillary Clinton never took action as Secretary of State because of donations to the Clinton Foundation."

The release Monday follows another email release earlier this month by Judicial Watch. One of those exchanges showed Band trying to put a wealthy foundation donor in touch with the U.S. ambassador to Lebanon.

Such emails have fueled accusations from Republicans of a “pay-to-play” operation. Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump – Hillary Clinton’s rival in the 2016 race – on Monday called for the foundation to be shut down,

“It is now clear that the Clinton Foundation is the most corrupt enterprise in political history. What they were doing during Crooked Hillary’s time as Secretary of State was wrong then, and it is wrong now. It must be shut down immediately,” he said in a statement.

The foundation already said it would no longer accept foreign and corporate contributions if Clinton is elected president.

The Clinton campaign touted this commitment in hitting back at Trump’s call Monday.

"The Foundation has already laid out the unprecedented steps the charity will take if Hillary Clinton becomes president,” Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta said in a statement, making several demands of Trump in response:

“Donald Trump needs to come clean with voters about his complex network of for-profit businesses that are hundreds of millions of dollars in debt to big banks, including the state-owned Bank of China, and other business groups with ties to the Kremlin. Donald Trump should stop hiding behind fake excuses and release his tax returns and immediately disclose the full extent of his business interests. He must commit to fully divesting himself from all of his business conflicts to ensure that he is not letting his own financial interests affect decisions made by his potential administration."

More emails, meanwhile, are in the pipeline for release. A federal judge in a Judicial Watch case earlier Monday ordered the State Department to expedite its review of some 14,900 emails uncovered by the FBI over the course of its investigation into Clinton's private email practices.

Those emails are part of the larger cache of documents not previously disclosed by Clinton, and are in addition to the roughly 55,000 emails turned over to federal investigators.

 

 

 

 

It just won't go away will it.........????????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...