The government wanted to give me $9000m but...

XavierOnassis

Two days ago, I got a call from some woman with what sounded like an East Indfian accent, telling me that the government had awarded me $9,000 in some financial recovery act, and that I was eligible because I had always paid my taxes and had never been to jail. I was supposed to call some number to claim my $9,000. Yeah, sure, I thought.

So I asked her if she knew my name. She said she did. So I asked her what my name was. She said it was too hard to pronounce. Imagine, my government hires people who cannot pronounce fairtly common Anglo Saxon surnames. I asked if the knew the alphabet. Of course, she said. Okay, I said, what are the Initials of my name? You know, like H S for Homer Simpson, A N for Apu Nahasapeemapetilon or Jay Cee for Jesus Christ. But she also could not do that, and hung up. OIbvuiously, all she knew about me was perhaps the phone number on her auto dialer.

I then typed in the number she gave me, which I have thrown away, but was in or around Port Angeles, WA and the word "scam", and of course found a lot of sites, including this one: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/fake-government-grants-real-refunds.

People who would fall for this scam are of the sort that support The Donald: they think they will become rich by following a rich guy or that some day, fate will reward them for their innate superiority.

Undoubtedly, had you called the number she gave you they would have demanded a hefty fee before your non-existent $9,000 could be redeemed. Yes. These are often the same gullible and confused people who are the natural prey of con artists everywhere. So they flock to the support of The Donald, a lifelong con artist, who is now conducting the biggest, high-stakes con of his life.

I don't know that a fee is required. They might only also ask for your banking information so they can deposit the money. Of course you will see a debit instead of a deposit.

First of all, the implication should have been obvious. Second, here's how you might have said it if you didn't want to be confrontational. ^ ^ ^

First of all, the implication should have been obvious. Second, here's how you might have said it if you didn't want to be confrontational. ^ ^ ^

It was not my intent to be confrontational.

I keep getting calls from India, and the people tell me that my computer has viruses. First I ask them what they're wearing, then I ask what school they went to. Then I call them intellectually deficient. Then I get even more insulting. After a few minutes I get bored and hang up.

A co-worker of mine, when told that his computer has viruses, puts on a happy-go-lucky voice and says "I know! I like those viruses!"

• 2 weeks later...

They have called me at least a dozen times in the past year.

They claim to be from Windows. They occasionally know my name. Of course, that is not hard to discover with minimal hacking skills.

One of them assured me that Microsoft and Windows were different, unrelated groups. They made it sound like my computer was misbehaving and being a nuisance on the Internet.

They could never tell me what version of Windows I was using. I led one of them around for about an hour, telling him I was following his instructions, but actually typing random keys for the sound effect. He wanted to take control of my computer, and I was not allowing that.