Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpyCar

Well Done Bernard!!!

I must say how proud of Senator Sanders I was tonight. It is easy to see why so many Democrats were attracted to his message, his campaign, and the man personally this election season (if not long prior to that).

I appreciated his voice for the issues and battles that still need to be fought for. And I appreciated his full-throated endorsement of our nominee. As much of a cliche as it might be, we truly are stronger together.

I wish Bernard all the best as he balances his crazy life (what kind of energy this man has!) in helping to defeat Donald Trump, and in serving as the Liberal Lion of the Senate. I hope we give him a majority to work with in the next session.

Well-done!

And Michelle Obama, was she great or what?

Great first night, after an understandably rocky morning. But this is good.

Bill

Michelle was awesome! Bernie knocked it out of the park! I thought Cory Booker made a really powerful speech, too. And, of course, Elizabeth Warren is always excellent. :D Great night of speeches.

Michelle was awesome! Bernie knocked it out of the park! I thought Cory Booker made a really powerful speech, too. And, of course, Elizabeth Warren is always excellent. :D Great night of speeches.

Agreed. Great night all around.

Booker, Warren, and Bernie all great. Michelle Obama's words (somewhat surprisingly to me) were the ones that hit me the most. I think being the father of a 12 year old boy really puts the election into the perspective of the examples of leadership I want (and don't want) for my son. She spoke to me, and many I suspect.

Bill

I think that tonight really did show that the party is going to be unified by November but there still is changes that need to be made throughout the Hillary Camp and I think they will do so by election day and I really did enjoy Bernie's speech tonight was very powerful and very well driven and really did I think push the goal of unity even closer.

Agreed. Great night all around.

Booker, Warren, and Bernie all great. Michelle Obama's words (somewhat surprisingly to me) were the ones that hit me the most. I think being the father of a 12 year old boy really puts the election into the perspective of the examples of leadership I want (and don't want) for my son. She spoke to me, and many I suspect.

Bill

Michelle is almost as dynamic a speaker as her husband. She was awesome. Really well done. It sounds like you're raising a great young man, Bill. :)

Early on, things were a bit chippy but I think Bernie brought it all together with his speech. There is a "big picture" in all this and Bernie addressed it quite succinctly. Although it was brief, I thought Keith Ellison was good, too. Hell, they were ALL good. Great opening night.

I took this week as a vacation; I had over 300 hours of vacation accumulated so I thought it would be a good time to take a few days.

I wish Bernard all the best as he balances his crazy life (what kind of energy this man has!) in helping to defeat Donald Trump, and in serving as the Liberal Lion of the Senate. I hope we give him a majority to work with in the next session.

Bernie's wife said in an interview a while back that he has the metabolism of a 25-year-old.

I watched an interview of him once being interviewed while walking down the street somewhere. The person interviewing him was at least 40 years younger and the guy couldn't keep up with Bernie. :lol: He's a pretty amazing guy.

Michelle is almost as dynamic a speaker as her husband. She was awesome. Really well done. It sounds like you're raising a great young man, Bill. I'm guessing he'll remember watching the convention with his dad for a long time. :)

Early on, things were a bit chippy but I think Bernie brought it all together with his speech. There is a "big picture" in all this and Bernie addressed it quite succinctly. Although it was brief, I thought Keith Ellison was good, too. Hell, they were ALL good. Great opening night.

I took this week as a vacation; I had over 300 hours of vacation accumulated so I thought it would be a good time to take a few days.

Bernie's wife said in an interview a while back that he has the metabolism of a 25-year-old.

I watched an interview of him once being interviewed while walking down the street somewhere. The person interviewing him was at least 40 years younger than him and the guy couldn't keep up with Bernie. :lol: He's a pretty amazing guy.

You'd love my boy RR. As good as they come. Kind, really smart, already breaking girl's hearts (so handsome), plays Lacrosse, and just has a great spirit.

Kind of a throw-back to the type boys I grew up with, in the best ways, but is modern and progressive. Love him. And want to leave his generation a better future.

Bill

So many home runs on the first night. The contrast between the GOP and the Dem convention is dramatic. I'm sure glad I'm a Dem.

(haven't posted here in quite a while....a little rusty)

Very good night. Strangely enough, I actually thought that Sarah Silverman's few words toward the more intransigent Bernie or Bust delegates was more effective at bringing party unity than all the slick videos, etc.Sometimes it isn't the message, but the messenger that does the trick. I vigorously supported Sanders' effort to address very important issues, but that phase of this election is now over. At the last possible moment The Democratic party narrowly averted what could very well have been a real disaster by showing respect for, including, and welcoming the Sanders delegates. I think that is really all the Bernie supporters wanted (ok, maybe a few other things, but respect goes a long way). Things would have turned out very different if DWS had been at the podium for even a few moments.

Michelle's speech was great, Cory Booker's speech was great, and of course Bernie's speech was great.

Peace to ALL my fellow democrats (even those who think I am a far right wing conservative mole, sent out to infiltrate the LO discussion board). I look forward to helping defeating Trump and will be working to help all the down ballot Democratic Senators and Congressman running this year. We should not forget how important these races are to the future of our country.

Very good night. Strangely enough, I actually thought that Sarah Silverman's few words toward the more intransigent Bernie or Bust delegates was more effective at bringing party unity than all the slick videos, etc.Sometimes it isn't the message, but the messenger that does the trick. I vigorously supported Sanders' effort to address very important issues, but that phase of this election is now over. At the last possible moment The Democratic party narrowly averted what could very well have been a real disaster by showing respect for, including, and welcoming the Sanders delegates. I think that is really all the Bernie supporters wanted (ok, maybe a few other things, but respect goes a long way). Things would have turned out very different if DWS had been at the podium for even a few moments.

Michelle's speech was great, Cory Booker's speech was great, and of course Bernie's speech was great.

Peace to ALL my fellow democrats (even those who think I am a far right wing conservative mole, sent out to infiltrate the LO discussion board). I look forward to helping defeating Trump and will be working to help all the down ballot Democratic Senators and Congressman running this year. We should not forget how important these races are to the future of our country.

I think you nailed it.

Bill

Peace to ALL my fellow democrats (even those who think I am a far right wing conservative mole, sent out to infiltrate the LO discussion board)

I for one, don't think any such thing, ExPDXer. And I am guessing that's the predominant opinion here.

Regarding Sarah Silverman, I thought calling people "ridiculous" was dismissive. Imo, it's not the way to get through to diehard Bernie supporters. The WikiLeaks email release just happened last Friday; it undoubtedly exacerbated the distrust. People are pissed and disillusioned with the entire political process.

Some of the younger followers are interested in politics for the first time in their lives. People aren't going to switch gears overnight. They interviewed one young lady last night with a Bernie tattoo. These people are all in for Bernie. Many supporters have poured their heart and soul (and meager savings) into this campaign.

Imho, the Clinton campaign needs to address Bernie supporters directly, acknowledge their concerns, and assure them that she is going to carry through on the issues that are important to them. They don't trust her. Hillary's campaign (with the help of Bernie) needs to do some outreach/communication with Bernie supporters. Maybe do some online Town Halls....or maybe an interactive forum (moderated for civility so it will remain productive).

Don't just call us "ridiculous" and expect us all to nod our heads compliantly and assimilate. It won't happen. Not like that. Jmo...

RR,

Like I said, it's not the literal message, but the messenger. I know Sarah worked very hard supporting the Sanders campaign, and is a true Bernie supporter, but she is a comedienne, not part of the DNC, so it's not like real serious context. If Hillary, DWS, or even Pelosi made the same observation, it would take on an entirely different meaning. I can see how this can be interpreted many ways. Maybe I'm wrong, but my take is that Sarah S was only directing her comment toward a small percentage of the Sanders Delegates, There were many Sanders supporters booing Sanders at his speech earlier in the day, which I thought was ridiculous. I believe in respectful, constructive confrontation, not random outbursts.

"Some of the younger followers are interested in politics for the first time in their lives." I applaud the fantastic enthusiasm, and idealism of all my fellow Sanders supporters. This bodes well for the future of Progressivism in this country. I was once like they are now, but I do not subscribe to the "Bernie or Bust" concept. The "Bust" part of that, seems to indicate that the "political revolution" will end later this week if Bernie is not nominated, which is wrong. I know that this is the beginning, not the end, of the work that needs to be done. The energy needs to be redirected at the Senatorial, and Congressional races. For me, this means

defeating Rubio, and helping Tim Canova with his efforts. The Presidential race gets a lot of attention, but change will not happen at all if we don't get rid of the bleeping idiots currently inhabiting both houses of Congress.

This passionate supporter of HRC (yes, there is one :P ) is very much in favor of of Bernie Sanders having had the prime-time opportunity to speak (where he did very well), and for his delegates to feel they are every bit as much legitimate participants in the DNC convention as anyone else, and given full respect.

The behavior of a few was quite bad. Sarah Silverman called them out. They deserved to be called out, and better by one of Bernie's own IMO.

I value the people who supported Bernie Sanders in the primaries who are moving forward with the Democratic party to defeat Donald Trump in November. We need a coalition, and not divisionism. And going forward we can build on the progressivism that forged the platform.

Bill

I am still waiting for Hillary to make some effort to earn the votes of those who want a vibrant middle class. Why can't she reach out to those who favor the public over the rich? Why does she continue to turn away those who would like to vote for her, but can't stand all the right wing policies? Does she really think Trump would be OK?

I am still waiting for Hillary to make some effort to earn the votes of those who want a vibrant middle class. Why can't she reach out to those who favor the public over the rich? Why does she continue to turn away those who would like to vote for her, but can't stand all the right wing policies?

She's not doing ALL she could do. But Hillary is reaching out to the middle class and poor quite a bit and that was reflected in the speeches of all her VIP supporters last night at the convention. Everyone from Warren to Sanders to Michelle Obama were going into chapter and verse about how Hillary would be a tireless fighter for the restoration of income equality .... How she will break the power of Big Banking and Wall St. Etc. It was no accident that the theme of how Hillary would revive the middle, was common to all the speakers.

Bernie has done a great public service in raising awareness of the issue. Without Bernie's primary challenge, the growing income gap would not have been emphasized like it was. And it would have resonated with limited impact.

That being said, I don't put much faith in campaign speeches unless they reflect what the candidate actually did in the past. As future indicators, a candidate's record and actions are worth a hundred times more than what they claim or promise in their speeches, or the speeches of others. But eloquent oratory is a big part of the pomp and circumstance of political campaigns, and many people take it seriously.

Does she really think Trump would be OK?

Obviously, she wants to prevail over Trump. Political analysts in both parties make strategy based on multiple factors. And that strategy is flexible, depending on changing circumstances. Sometimes they're successful; Othertimes, not.

I had class last night, so I have to catch up on the speeches. I do have some hope that either the Democratic Party will, in the future, turn left, or a new party will form that will be strong and seen as a legitimate contender in elections. However, I have zero faith in current party leadership, which I feel not only cheats, but is owned by the plutocrats, and not much more faith in Hillary Clinton. Just too many lies and too many shifts for political expediency have come from her. Her choice of Kaine and her granting of a position to Wasserman-Schultz in her campaign speak truth beyond words, and it is not a pretty or a hopeful truth.

I had class last night, so I have to catch up on the speeches. I do have some hope that either the Democratic Party will, in the future, turn left, or a new party will form that will be strong and seen as a legitimate contender in elections. However, I have zero faith in current party leadership, which I feel not only cheats, but is owned by the plutocrats, and not much more faith in Hillary Clinton. Just too many lies and too many shifts for political expediency have come from her. Her choice of Kaine and her granting of a position to Wasserman-Schultz in her campaign speak truth beyond words, and it is not a pretty or a hopeful truth.

I agree, it's just a matter of tactics. The party leadership seems to be getting the message that there is a force behind the Bernie movement that cannot be ignored, and will not go away. Whatever the motives, or the methods, the fact that DWS was sequestered, and has zero real power is a victory for Progressives.

The Executive branch really does not have much power to affect many of the issues that Bernie has raised. The power to change the direction of Citizens United, Free Trade, and Wall St reform lies with Congress.

Keeping Hillary from drifting further to the right, will be a full time job. The only way to keep that in check is to provide Sen Sanders, and Sen Warren the support they need to by electing Progressive candidates to Congress.I would suspect that they have both gained significant influence in the Senate over the last few months, and that (hopefully Majority) leader Schumer will recognize this new force within the party and allow the Progressive agenda to flourish. We shall see.

Meanwhile, ask yourself if the Senator from your State, or the representative from your district is on board with the movement or part of the problem you describe. I have gone as far as actually writing, and petitioning my representative (guess who) to let her know I support the Bernie Sanders agenda.

Speeches, conventions, and platform are all very interesting, and symbolic, but the only thing that counts is how they vote, (or not vote) when these individual issues arise. I do trust Sanders, and Warren to continue their fight, but the rest of the political establishment may need a little 'encouragement'. The goal is still the same, but the battlefield has changed.

Keeping Hillary from drifting further to the right, will be a full time job. The only way to keep that in check is to provide Sen Sanders, and Sen Warren the support they need to by electing Progressive candidates to Congress.I would suspect that they have both gained significant influence in the Senate over the last few months, and that (hopefully Majority) leader Schumer will recognize this new force within the party and allow the Progressive agenda to flourish. We shall see.

ExPDXer

I completely agree that Hillary would have to really try hard and not be a Obama copy because he just has continually moved to the right on some issue, like the disastrous trade deals like the TPP. He has just tried and tried to work with the republicans and I really wished that he would stand up for himself and push the progressive agendas that I believe that he really wants to push through.

"Drifting to the right?"

Good god this is tiresome.

Bill

You are correct, left - right terminology always gets me in trouble. It's a matter of perspective, and relativity. I consider myself to the left of almost everyone in the Democratic party on most issues. It is not meant to be derisive, pejorative, or derogatory, anymore than the term left. There are many shades of grey on the political spectrum scale. I should stop using the terminology altogether, as it is very inprecise shorthand, and a poor substitute for effective communication.

I should have said 'drifting away from the positions agreed to by both sides in the 2016 Democratic Platform'

I remember when Democrats stopped using the 'liberal' label for whatever reason. Conservatism used to mean middle of the road and status quo, and radical used to mean rapid change, but today conservatives are proposing the most radical changes. I won't even bring up the Hawk - Dove terminology, or the neo-conservatative label. I remember studying these things in Political Science

class, but the real world keeps changing.

The 2nd night was also awesome. Infinitely better than the GOP. I noticed there were not very many "Bernie Bernie" or "Black Lives Matter" on Day 2 at all. I'm glad they went thru the roll call of states. It gives individual delegates a moment to shine and brag about their states, and they will remember their role in nominating the first woman ever for President.

I think Hillary will try pretty hard to appeal to the Bernie backers on Thursday evening during her acceptance speech. If Bernie himself urges his followers to support Hillary, they should listen.

BTW, if you're not aware, you can see each and every speech in their entirety by going to C-SPAN.org. And you don't have to bother with all the pontificating punditry.

The 2nd night was also awesome. Infinitely better than the GOP. I noticed there were not very many "Bernie Bernie" or "Black Lives Matter" on Day 2 at all. I'm glad they went thru the roll call of states. It gives individual delegates a moment to shine and brag about their states, and they will remember their role in nominating the first woman ever for President.

I think Hillary will try pretty hard to appeal to the Bernie backers on Thursday evening during her acceptance speech. If Bernie himself urges his followers to support Hillary, they should listen.

BTW, if you're not aware, you can see each and every speech in their entirety by going to C-SPAN.org. And you don't have to bother with all the pontificating punditry.

I think the roll call was important too. For the reason you mentioned, for the memories of delegates, and for legitimizing the hard-work, passions, and not-easily-achieved electorial victories behind each delegate vote. It means something.

Bill