Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RollingRock

DNC Platform Watch

So is this the source for your false claim that Bill Clinton, not Ronald Reagan, eliminated the Fairness Doctrine?

You might have at least admitted the err.

Bill

http://www.truth-out...rned-neoliberal

It was not my claim but suited my purpose. In further researching it, I see this point was wrong. So, my apologies.

And the article in the OP appears to be a lie, as the platform committee actually voted to support a $15 minimum wage.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/284888-democratic-platform-draft-shows-sanderss-clout

The panel also aligned itself with progressive ideas such as abolishing the death penalty and expanding Social Security, the Associated Press reported. The minimum wage language adopted echoes a common refrain by Sanders, calling the current federal minimum of $7.25 a "starvation wage."

The platform also tackles financial reform by calling for "an updated and modernized version of Glass-Steagall."

Bill

Articles all over the map on Platform Committee support of $15. It looks like they first opposed it and now are changing their tune.

Clinton appointees oppose $15 minimum wage amendment in ...

www.salon.com/.../clinton_appointees_oppose_15_minimum_wage_amendmen...
Salon
12 hours ago - Bernie & Hillary DNC drafting committee members clash after Rep. Keith Ellison proposed $15 minimum wage amendment. ... the DNC's platform that would make support for a $15 per hour federal minimum wage absolutely ...
Dems adopt $15 minimum wage in platform draft | TheHill
thehill.com/blogs/.../284888-dems-adopt-15-minimum-wage-in-draft-platfor...
The Hill
15 hours ago - Democrats' platform drafting committee took a first step toward giving ... to strengthen the language supporting a $15 minimum wage and index ...
Bernie Sanders' Influence On The Democratic Platform - The $15 An ...
www.forbes.com/.../bernie-sanders-influence-on-the-democratic-platform-the-...
Forbes

8 hours ago - Democrats' platform drafting committee took a first step toward giving Bernie ... Sanders has pushed for a $15-an-hour minimum wage, while Clinton ... banks, advocating a $15 hourly wage, urging an end to the death penalty.

Articles all over the map on Platform Committee support of $15. It looks like they first opposed it and now are changing their tune.

Very interesting. :D Good to hear. I, too, stand corrected. This is good news for average Americans, trying to just make ends meet.

Very interesting. :D Good to hear. I, too, stand corrected. This is good news for average Americans, trying to just make ends meet.

It will be easier to pull off if we can get the economy kick-started. One of the things I like most in Bernie's proposals would be a job-creating program to re-build the nation's crumbling infrastructure. People need jobs.

Bill

It will be easier to pull off if we can get the economy kick-started. One of the things I like most in Bernie's proposals would be a job-creating program to re-build the nation's crumbling infrastructure. People need jobs.

Bill

That would mean a lot, I agree, Bill. :) That would create many jobs. I'd also like to see something done about outsourcing. Maybe tax incentives for companies to bring their jobs back from overseas? I don't know....but too many jobs have been lost to outsourcing. It's a major issue.

Bill

Yes. And after that massive undertaking is complete, keep up maintenance, which is neglected now. Jobs, working on the infrastructure can't be outsourced.

Yes. And after that massive undertaking is complete, keep up maintenance, which is neglected now. Jobs, working on the infrastructure can't be outsourced.

Exactly!

Bill

Personally, I would also like to see some sort of regulation regarding salary percentages. in other words, if workers for a company are making 8.75 an hour, the CEO should not be able to make 8 million a year.

Personally, I would also like to see some sort of regulation regarding salary percentages. in other words, if workers for a company are making 8.75 an hour, the CEO should not be able to make 8 million a year.

I agree completely. I posted a study which centered on the years between 1980 and 2012. During that period of time, CEO wages rose something like 987% while the wage of their average worker increased a disgraceful 11% (during the same period of time). I believe in some kind of proportional compensation. If a company is successful and they want to give their CEO a 20% raise, then they need to give their workers a 20% raise also. The disproportionate pay in today's business world is disgraceful.

I disagree. A person can't live on $10/hour....at least not without working two, 40-hour jobs.

And they won't be able to live on $15.00/hour when prices go up as a result of the minimum wage nearly doubling. Only then those of us making more than minimum wage will also be effectively making less as well.

In my union, CWA, Local 1101, top union, executive salaries were not to exceed twice what the union official had made prior to election. If they got voted out, they went back down to normal contract pay. IMO, that is justice. The top executive of any enterprise is worth no more than twice the pay of the lowliest worker.

But in our society, the true worth of work has been so distorted toward extremes, that even many progressives might place CEO worth at twenty to fifty times that of the lowliest worker. Considering how unreasonable the conventional pay gap is in our culture, a salary of 50 times more for the CEO than the lowest paid worker, would be a huge improvement over the staggeringly high compensation that those with the keys to the vault are able to award themselves.

What's even worse is when companies lose many hundreds of millions of dollars and the CEO still gets $66 million dollars (as at Humana Health). That's not capitalism; it's kleptocracy.

Bill

And they won't be able to live on $15.00/hour when prices go up as a result of the minimum wage nearly doubling. Only then those of us making more than minimum wage will also be effectively making less as well.

This is a "race to the bottom" argument which, out of insecurity, targets the weakest for blame. The problem lies not at the economic bottom but at the top. The available wealth of the Nation is being shoveled upward, leaving that much less for the bottom 90%. It has got to stop before poverty becomes the norm in America.

Maybe the CEO's and upper management should take a pay cut instead of hosing the consumers? After all, they've been raking in raises at double digit percentages for a couple decades now.

I'd rather see a manager have to downgrade from a BMW to a Buick than I would see someone get foreclosed on because his raise didn't even match the rise in the cost of living.

What's even worse is when companies lose many hundreds of millions of dollars and the CEO still gets $66 million dollars (as at Humana Health). That's not capitalism; it's kleptocracy.

Bill

You aren't kidding. In my state, the CEO of Blue Cross Blue Shield received a $38 million dollar bonus and, in the same month, laid off over 75 employees as well as lambasted subscribers with a 14% premium increase. What the hell? :huh:

Maybe the CEO's and upper management should take a pay cut instead of hosing the consumers? After all, they've been raking in raises at double digit percentages for a couple decades now.

I'd rather see a manager have to downgrade from a BMW to a Buick than I would see someone get foreclosed on because his raise didn't even match the rise in the cost of living.

And you know that's not going to happen. The CEO's aren't going to take pay cuts. What you'll see is that they'll cut jobs, they'll raise prices, and we won't see an improvement in income inequality. We'll only see the numbers at which the poverty level are at rise. In the end that accomplishes nothing. Don't believe me? Look at how they responded to Obamacare. They cut hours of employees to avoid having to pay into it. Many places only allow 29 hours a week. Even at $15/hour, at 29 hours a week you can't live on that.

Income Inequality is at embarrassing levels. But it's not something that can be fixed overnight. It's going to take a generation or two before it truly improves. We need better access to post-secondary education. We need to create more skilled jobs in this county. There's no quick fix to income inequality. Your fairy godmother isn't going to come in, and wave her wand, and make everything all better by raising the minimum wage. It's going to take time.

And you know that's not going to happen. The CEO's aren't going to take pay cuts.

Not voluntarily they won't. It would require leglislation which would piss off the establishment and big business. However it's long overdue. Proportional raises are often used in union negoations. I see no reason not to apply similar standards to all business.

What you'll see is that they'll cut jobs, they'll raise prices, and we won't see an improvement in income inequality. We'll only see the numbers at which the poverty level are at rise. In the end that accomplishes nothing. Don't believe me? Look at how they responded to Obamacare. They cut hours of employees to avoid having to pay into it. Many places only allow 29 hours a week. Even at $15/hour, at 29 hours a week you can't live on that.

Sorry, I refuse to accept that we just have to deal with the notion that those who are poor might as well "get used to it." Because the rich won't allow them to afford even the barest of necessities to survive (healthcare, housing, food, etc). But we do have to stand up and fight. We have to again and again reject the status quo and vote out anyone who favors big money over the average voter. It'll take dedication and determination, but we CAN break up the impending oligarchy.

Income Inequality is at embarrassing levels. But it's not something that can be fixed overnight. It's going to take a generation or two before it truly improves.

Two generations?!? :huh: Sorry, but that's unacceptable. We need change NOW. People need to rise up and demand representation. The plutocrats might have the money, but WE have the numbers. We need to rise up and make our voices heard (repeatedly and loudly, if need be).

We need better access to post-secondary education. We need to create more skilled jobs in this county. There's no quick fix to income inequality. Your fairy godmother isn't going to come in, and wave her wand, and make everything all better by raising the minimum wage. It's going to take time.

FWIW, the fairy godmother comment is a bit insulting. However you are correct that raising the minimum wage is only part of the problem. I'm almost 60 years old. I've been making more than minimum wage for about 35 years now. However up until the last 12 years or so, I've had to work my ass off (60-75 hours a week) just to make ends meet. I haven't taken a vacation in a decade; I haven't called in sick even once in 11 years.

In fact, I worked so much over the last 12 years that it cost me my marriage as well as my health. But I paid off my house, my car, my college loans, and my outstanding medical debt. Finally, after 40 years in the workforce, I now have some money tucked aside so if life ends up punching me in the face, I can stay afloat for a while on my savings. I'll be ok. But it's certainly not where I planned to be at this age, that's for damn sure.

I see so much hope with the Berniecrat movement. A recent article I read stated that Bernie now has 20,000 followers who are interested in running for local, state or congressional seats. It might take 6-8 years to see the impact, but a literal tsunami of "for the people" advocates are on their way to help right the ship and return democracy to "we, the people." I will do anything and everything in my power to help them. I refuse to accept that we can't make serious change within a decade.

The Berniecrat movement already has representatives in both houses of Congress who may be viewed a this site.

http://www.berniecrats.net/

All indications are that the movement is growing and will continue to grow rapidly. There are a large number of Berniecrats getting into politics now. And the accelerating impoverishment of the middle class will be a strong motivator for larger numbers of voters to elect those who will reverse the process. Progressive domination of the presently ensconsed Neo-Liberals should take no more than 10 years or 2&1/2 election cycles. Once Berniecrats make up a majority of both houses and take the oval office, the process of reversing the income gap can commence.

For anyone who thinks this is dreaming, go back to a time when people were in terrible economic straits and FDR took office.

I do not believe that prices will rise simply because of the minimum wage increasing. That simply doesn't happen. Consider if you will, that when the min wage increases, that millions of people now have more money to spend and they will spend it almost immediately. Since there is more money being spent, there are more profits being made. If we had real competition in the price of products, prices could fall simply because of the increased volumes of products being sold.

Consider a restaurant serving the middle class. If wages go up, more people can afford to go to the restaurant, more sales with the same staff means more profit even if salaries rise.I would be happier with $100,000 a month paying $20 per hour, than with $50,000 a month paying only $10 per hour. I then could lower prices and bring in even more customers, and even higher profits.

I apologize for changing the subject here, but I think that this is the most applicable thread to post this information under. Democracy Spring is currently organizing another civil disobedience action at the Democratic convention, hoping to make real change in the democratic platform.

"We demand that the presidential nominee and Congressional leaders of the Democratic Party publicly commit to pass democracy reforms that would establish publicly funded elections, overturn Citizens United, and ensure comprehensive voting rights protections for all Americans within the first 100 days of a new administration. Further, as an immediate, good faith step toward establishing “one person, one vote” political equality in all elections in our country, we demand that the Democratic Party clean its own house by immediately abolishing superdelegates."

Sadly, I cannot attend the convention, but I will be supporting the movement in other ways. Thought you all might be interested, as this is one way to effect some of the change that we are looking for!

Democracy Spring (an ironic name if there ever was one) is planning the sort of violence that I've been warning was coming.

Rather than respecting democracy (after all Clinton won the primary process) we are going to have self-rigorous and anti-democratic radicals seeking power though violence in the streets, illegal disruptions of the political process, and mass arrests. Boo on these anti-democratic forces.

If they needed a place to protest, they'h have done better going to Cleveland.

Bill

I apologize for changing the subject here, but I think that this is the most applicable thread to post this information under. Democracy Spring is currently organizing another civil disobedience action at the Democratic convention, hoping to make real change in the democratic platform.

"We demand that the presidential nominee and Congressional leaders of the Democratic Party publicly commit to pass democracy reforms that would establish publicly funded elections, overturn Citizens United, and ensure comprehensive voting rights protections for all Americans within the first 100 days of a new administration. Further, as an immediate, good faith step toward establishing one person, one vote political equality in all elections in our country, we demand that the Democratic Party clean its own house by immediately abolishing superdelegates."

Sadly, I cannot attend the convention, but I will be supporting the movement in other ways. Thought you all might be interested, as this is one way to effect some of the change that we are looking for!

I like how you think, Aleia! :D

From all I'm reading, it appears the superdelegates are going to go the way of the dodo bird. Good riddance to un-democratic rubbish! I, too, wish I could be in Philly but I'm about 35 years past my protesting days. I will certainly be with Bernie or Busters in spirit, though.

I agree that Citizens United needs to be overturned asap! We need to keep fighting for this one until we get big money out of politics. We need to return our government to one that is by the people and for the people. Lobbyists, corporate donors, and special interests can all fuck off.

I'm also reading where Bernie is going to go after trade (specifically, the TPP) and fracking at the convention. He wants them off the platform and is willing to bring his case before the convention. Hillary Clinton has stated that she's no longer supporting the TPP so it's a mystery as to why it's still on the platform. It's a clerical error, I'm sure. :rolleyes: And why in bloody hell is fracking still on the platform?

Bernie files permit request for yuuuuge rally on the eve of the Democratic convention....to be held in Philly's Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park (very appropriate):

The campaign is gearing up for the convention, where Sanders has promised to bring a floor fight over the Democratic National Committee (DNC) platform after a slew of his proposals—including banning fracking and blocking U.S. Congress from voting on the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP)—were overruled or watered down during previous negotiations.

Also scheduled for July 24 is a March for a Clean Energy Revolution calling for a ban on fracking and a just transition to a renewable energy era.

"It is imperative that this platform be not only the most progressive in the history of the Democratic Party, but includes a set of policies that will be fought for and implemented by Democratic elected officials," Sanders said last week.

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/07/06/sanders-files-permit-request-huge-rally-eve-democratic-convention

Clinton won the primaries in a system corrupted by superdelegates. The fact that she would have won without their help does not change the fact that their privileged, multi-vote influence can still be used in the future to steal primary results from legitimate voters.

From the beginning of the Republic, primaries were meant to be run democratically.

From the Declaration of Independence:

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government

It is time to abolish superdelegates. The declaration includes the choosing of government, by the people, from the start of the process to the end of it and that includes the primaries.

The principles Democracy Spring advocates, are Democratic ones. They are against the corruption of bribery that pervades American government today. That is why they are calling for publicly funded elections.

Democracy Spring is a civil disobedience group but does not advocate violence. There need not be violence at the Democratic convention.

Democracy Spring (an ironic name if there ever was one) is planning the sort of violence that I've been warning was coming.

Rather than respecting democracy (after all Clinton won the primary process) we are going to have self-rigorous and anti-democratic radicals seeking power though violence in the streets, illegal disruptions of the political process, and mass arrests. Boo on these anti-democratic forces.

If they needed a place to protest, they'h have done better going to Cleveland.

Bill

Bill, it's more than possible to have protests and a little civil disobedience without violence. Bernie's not contesting the nomination; he understands that Clinton has won. What he's looking for now is to get TPP taken off the platform. Since Hillary as said repeatedly on the campaign trail that she's against TPP, that shouldn't be a problem. He also wants fracking taken off the platform. Those things are why he hasn't conceded, not because he's still trying to win the nomination.