Sign in to follow this  
drvoke

Food stamp resentment is on the rise

It seems more confrontations are taking place at check out lines when people in need use their benefits.

WASHINGTON — Janina Riley noticed a woman muttering behind her in the checkout line as she paid for food at a Giant Eagle grocery store in Pittsburgh last April.

“I can’t believe she’s buying that big-ass cake with food stamps,” the woman said, according to Riley.

Riley, 19, had just used a government-issued debit card to pay for most of her groceries, which included a cake for her son that said “Happy First Birthday Xavier” in a theme from the movie “Cars.” She glared at the women for a second, then decided to confront her.

“I was just like, ‘Shut the fuck up,’” Riley said. “You don’t know what I’m doing with these food stamps.”

But many Americans do not want to let people on food stamps eat cake. This sentiment is particularly prevalent among conservatives in Congress. Cash register resentment of the sort directed at Riley feeds Republican animus toward the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

It’s a petty path toward a huge target: As SNAP enrollment has surged to nearly 50 million in the wake of the Great Recession, the program’s annual cost has more than doubled to $80 billion. Republicans want to shrink those numbers, but they missed their best chance in June, when a trillion-dollar farm bill failed in the House of Representatives, after the GOP sought deeper cuts than Democrats would accept.

Following the vote, Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) got to work telling a familiar story, one he said he’d heard many times from broken-hearted and angry constituents. Its protagonist is a hardworking Texan waiting in line at the grocery store. Someone’s buying Alaskan king crab legs in front of him, and he’s looking at them longingly, dreaming of the day he can afford such a luxury. Then the person buying them whips out his EBT — an Electronic Benefits Transfer card for food stamps.

“He looks at the king crab legs and looks at his ground meat and realizes,” Gohmert said, “because he does pay income tax ... he is actually helping pay for the king crab legs when he can’t pay for them for himself.”

Sure resentment is high. And it isn't that those of us that get angry when we see something like the bakery department prepared cake are against celebrating birthdays...we know it is a lot cheaper to buy the cake mix, icing and candles (you don't really need candles, but that is beside the point) and make it yourself. Besides, a cake made by Mom (or Grandmother, Aunt, Sister, whatever) would probably mean more than taking the lazy way out.

I let my frustration out once to a mother of a girl that cheered with my daughter in high school (her daughter was on scholarship because her husband was unemployed). We had a parent meeting at their home one evening and she was complaining about how little assistance they get. I looked around the house (which had a land line phone) and saw bottled water service, their son watching HBO on the cable network, two cartons of cigs on the kitchen counter, two of their four cell phones on the coffee table in front of us and remember her husband talking about his "home brew" efforts in the garage getting better. Excuse me, if they can afford all that, why in the hell are they getting assistance at all?

However, those getting angry at grocery stores do have to be careful, my sister-in-law will often go get groceries for the elderly disabled lady next door to them when she is not physically up to going herself.

food stamps should be for rice beans eggs milk flour and thats it fuck em they are poor

so they have a steak when their food stamps come in. big fucking deal

the ones who are so upset about it (paid bi-weekly) do the same. eat steak and lobster the first week, the second ice cube soup

I like how you described them as people in need.

I empathize with their plight. They are suffering and we should extend a helping hand.

We should help those that are truly needy UNTIL THEY GET ON THEIR FEET. Stories about supermarket checkouts and Cal. surfer boys eating lobster tails on the dole are for too common. The Ironworker, welding all day on top of a building, has a problem paying taxes and fees while watching Cal surfers and spandex wearing baby producers cash in for doing nothing. States are cracking down and the programs are being cut back. It is too bad that legit recipients will be cut. The waste, fraud, and rampant abuse needs to be stopped. As the dems said after the 2008 election: to make an omelet you have to break some eggs. I only hope Trump can quote oblameo and the dems and say 'We won. Get over it"

I empathize with their plight. They are suffering and we should extend a helping hand.

...holding a job application

Thanks for the input Christians. You kiss ass up and kick ass down.

food stamps should be for rice beans eggs milk flour and thats it fuck em they are poor

Predictable arrogant bigot contempt. As STUPID as some such jerks are.. it may come as no surprise when they are unemployed.

Zilla is too STUPID to actually KNOW any FACTS. Here.. the whole Far Right myth ..Crab Legs, Lobster....whatever.. is more recycled LIES. Zilla.. a sociopath and pathologic liar....NEEDS contempt for " Poor people" who, he thinks are mainly BLACK.

Fact is.... If you are DEAD BROKE, no income.... you get just over $200 in food stamps. If you get unemployment,Social Security, have a part time job.. you get LESS. If you want to buy Lobster, Crab Legs... you CAN, but that blows at least half the budget.

I used to buy a pack of "Salad Shrimp" the small guys.. maybe $6 a pound. They lasted awhile and I'd do RAMEN ( cheap) with some shrimp,some frozen peas, a poached egg and the green wild onions from the yard. Nice cheap meal. When $6 of shrimp lasts a couple weeks...not much of a splurge. Often what I ate was based on what I got cheap. Being a cook.....I could do asian or mexican or Italian.....ALL of which can be low $. A lot of folks can't cook worth a damn. Give them 10 lb of flour.. they don't know how to use it.

MEANWHILE....... as a SOCIETY we do not want people starving + desperate. We do not want beggars and dumpster divers to be "normal", we want stores and farms to have "demand" ....which is why Food Stamps are Dept of Agriculture.

A HATEFUL FUCK......won't CARE. He's in it as a second rate predator.

Most of em have a job

And a part time low $ job won't do much past rent and utilities especially if you got kids.

Predictable arrogant bigot contempt. As STUPID as some such jerks are.. it may come as no surprise when they are unemployed.

Zilla is too STUPID to actually KNOW any FACTS. Here.. the whole Far Right myth ..Crab Legs, Lobster....whatever.. is more recycled LIES. Zilla.. a sociopath and pathologic liar....NEEDS contempt for " Poor people" who, he thinks are mainly BLACK.

Fact is.... If you are DEAD BROKE, no income.... you get just over $200 in food stamps. If you get unemployment,Social Security, have a part time job.. you get LESS. If you want to buy Lobster, Crab Legs... you CAN, but that blows at least half the budget.

I used to buy a pack of "Salad Shrimp" the small guys.. maybe $6 a pound. They lasted awhile and I'd do RAMEN ( cheap) with some shrimp,some frozen peas, a poached egg and the green wild onions from the yard. Nice cheap meal. When $6 of shrimp lasts a couple weeks...not much of a splurge. Often what I ate was based on what I got cheap. Being a cook.....I could do asian or mexican or Italian.....ALL of which can be low $. A lot of folks can't cook worth a damn. Give them 10 lb of flour.. they don't know how to use it.

MEANWHILE....... as a SOCIETY we do not want people starving + desperate. We do not want beggars and dumpster divers to be "normal", we want stores and farms to have "demand" ....which is why Food Stamps are Dept of Agriculture.

A HATEFUL FUCK......won't CARE. He's in it as a second rate predator.

And a part time low $ job won't do much past rent and utilities especially if you got kids.

Part time job because ACA. Live within ones means

Food stamp resentment is on the rise

.....But, that's BEEN on-the-rise.....pretty-much ever-since Obama was first elected.

It could be some kind o' White-trash lame-duck syndrome, where....they figure time's running-out.....and, if they're serious about getting any final shots, in, they need to hurry. Obama's nearly outta-office.

It doesn't have to make sense. They're White-trash.

I used to work for a non-profit that worked very closely with the Department of Transitional Assistance.

Food Stamps are a big part of their problem.

I'd elaborate if you'd like but something tells me you think they're "suffering and just need a helping hand".