Sign in to follow this  
kfbvoice

THE SOUL OF MICHAEL JACKSON

​While the release of his 1982 album Thriller made Michael Jackson a pop music superstar with hits including Billy Jean, Beat It, and the title track Thriller, Jackson's roots were in R&B with his brothers in the Jackson Five. Singed by Barry Gordy's Motown Records in 1969 the group had debut hits such as I Want You Back and ABC. They followed it up with The Love You Save in 1970 and their last hit with Motown before moving to Epic Records Dancing Machine in 1974. From the beginning however Jackson had what it took be solo artist with songs like Got To Be There and Ben both in 1972. His 1979 solo album Off The Wall featured hits like Rock With You and a moving ballad She's Out Of My Life. There's no reason not believe that Michael Jackson would not have been a highly successful R&B artist with considerable crossover appeal not unlike Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross and The Supremes in the 1960s and beyond. But Michael Jackson push himself as an artist and broke ground as a crossover star like no black performer had done before. He left the group with brothers for good in 1984. Yet he never completely left R&B music with its influence evident in his work throughout the 1980s and into the 1990s in songs like PYT - Pretty Young Thing from Thriller, The Way You Make Me Feel 1987, Remember the Time (1991) and Keep It in The Closet (1992).