bludog

Whats Wrong With The Democratic Party

What's wrong with the Democratic party today? In just three words:-- Money in politics. Greatly accelerated by the deliberately misnamed Supreme Court decision "Citizens United". To get elected, Democratic politicians, along with Republicans, are forced to rely on large, legalized bribes, from giant corporations, super wealthy individuals and "dark" money sources made legal by the SCOTUS. Then they are obligated to a legislative agenda that works for the Plutocracy and not the people.

Money decides elections about 90% of the time. Once a Washington politician gets elected, he/she gets regaled by a host of Big Money lobbyists freely roaming the halls of Congress with privileged access to purchase custom-made legislation. Ordinary people, who can't cough up Big Cash, are allowed in the Capitol building as tourists only.

The Republican party leadership has fully committed to this system because, they have taken up the cause of destroying the American middle class. Most Democratic politicians became Democrats in the first place to better the lot of ordinary Americans. But with politics so far to the right, they are forced into the legalized bribery system in order to attain office and keep it.

If they could be freed from a system which obligates them to Big Money, those Democratic politicians who are not completely corrupted would once again fight for the ordinary people

A good start to get money out of politics would be to publicly finance campaigns and limit their length.... And restrict lobbyists' access to Congress equal to any average income person.

You could do all the above, and it would be helpful and good, but it still wouldn't solve the problem, because the freedoms of the press and of speech are important, and there would still be nothing to stop the many billionaires this country has produced from making web pages, distributing newspapers, buying TV and radio time, etc etc. They can push their particular political view through any of these media with impunity because of freedom of speech.

Here's a remedy within the first amendment: We also have freedom of association. If you band together the money you can collect should be enough to counter some of the drivel that the other side puts out.

For example: AARP had about 40 million members and supports Obamacare. Because of that support they lost about 3 million members. But what's left is still very big and can lobby and produce mailers and other ads.

Billionaires are few. Normal Americans are many. Through freedom of association and freedoms of speech and press, Americans banded together can counter the freedoms of speech and press of the small numbers of billionaires.

One word describes Democrats: Weak.

They blame Republicans and white trash for their own inability to pull out of their own corruption whilst presenting themselves as the only liberal alternative and continually putting in half-baked 1960s type leaders with claims to marijuana usage but never make good on their promises.

Hey, nobody is twisting your arm. You don't have to sign NAFTA or push TPP through if you dont want to. A real noble liberal would resign as president before signing in TPP and make a political statement.

Thanks for adding more stress to an already stressed out political establishment with your own greed.

One word describes Democrats: Weak.

They blame Republicans and white trash for their own inability to pull out of their own corruption whilst presenting themselves as the only liberal alternative and continually putting in half-baked 1960s type leaders with claims to marijuana usage but never make good on their promises.

Hey, nobody is twisting your arm. You don't have to sign NAFTA or push TPP through if you dont want to. A real noble liberal would resign as president before signing in TPP and make a political statement.

Thanks for adding more stress to an already stressed out political establishment with your own greed.

The is an extremely gentle example of the flood of adverse responses such an OP as this would get in NHB.

Not to impugn the veracity of it. But it's hardly the whole story. Most Democratic politicians became Democrats in the first place to better the lot of ordinary Americans. But with politics so much in plutocratic control, they are forced into the legalized bribery system in order to attain office and hold on to it.

The problem US Liberals are faced with is how to bring power back to ordinary voters again.... And wrest away rule from the Plutocrats.

They arent doing a good job as liberals. Boycotting would be better, suggesting that to shutdown the Democrat party and this shutdown elections so that Republicans can't win either. Playing along with the system will get you nowhere, and there is plenty of evidence to back up that statement!

Since we can't literally have an election with only one party, Republicans, the ideal thing to do would be to demolish the democrats, disband them completely, and boycott the elections, halt the whole thing until some other system is designed instead of jumping through the hoops of the corporations and bankers.

They keep the whole thing going by being WEAK!

You could do all the above, and it would be helpful and good, but it still wouldn't solve the problem, because the freedoms of the press and of speech are important, and there would still be nothing to stop the many billionaires this country has produced from making web pages, distributing newspapers, buying TV and radio time, etc etc. They can push their particular political view through any of these media with impunity because of freedom of speech.

Here's a remedy within the first amendment: We also have freedom of association. If you band together the money you can collect should be enough to counter some of the drivel that the other side puts out.

For example: AARP had about 40 million members and supports Obamacare. Because of that support they lost about 3 million members. But what's left is still very big and can lobby and produce mailers and other ads.

Billionaires are few. Normal Americans are many. Through freedom of association and freedoms of speech and press, Americans banded together can counter the freedoms of speech and press of the small numbers of billionaires.

There are also other organizations like Common Cause and as Xavier pointed out, Public Citizen, which gets top ratings from Charity Navigator.org.

As you imply, both things need doing: Citizens need to ban together to take power back from the Plutocracy. And bribery of politicians needs to be outlawed and virtually ended as it is in many other Democracies. If we don't accomplish the latter, the former will become a never ending, pitched battle.

Why should I have to sign a pledge with Public Citizen to beg Obama to stop TPP? Isnt Obama, as a liberal, someone who should automatically represent my interests? He should never have pursued or allowed TPP. I shouldn't have to sign any petition. Obviously, the Democrats are not a real leftist party and will maintain the current situation with the bankers and the corporations. Public Citizen also wants money! They want my credit card details!

You are lucky to even get a vote from me in the primaries coming up Bernie Sanders, who I am voting for only out of disgust that Clinton is running.

They arent doing a good job as liberals. Boycotting would be better, suggesting that to shutdown the Democrat party and this shutdown elections so that Republicans can't win either. Playing along with the system will get you nowhere, and there is plenty of evidence to back up that statement!

Since we can't literally have an election with only one party, Republicans, the ideal thing to do would be to demolish the democrats, disband them completely, and boycott the elections, halt the whole thing until some other system is designed instead of jumping through the hoops of the corporations and bankers.

They keep the whole thing going by being WEAK!

Election boycotts in the past have proved disastrous:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election_boycott

In general elections, individuals and parties will often boycott in order to protest the ruling party's policies with the hope that when voters do not show up the elections will be deemed illegitimate by outside observers.[1] This tactic, however, can prove disastrous for the boycotting parties. Lack of participation rarely nullifies election results and the distorted voting is likely to further detach boycotting groups from the organs of power, leaving them susceptible to political irrelevance.[1]

Shutting down the Democratic party would be welcomed by the Republicans and their Plutocratic benefactors. Elections would surely proceed anyway, often without opposition. Which could easily result in a full-on Fascist state.

It would be far better to try thinking of some other, more creative way to change the system while not working within it.

A full on fascist state might be our just deserts after supporting so many fascists overseas like Pinochet. If anything, a fullon fascist state would really let the world know how things really stand here and the STRESS of voting for these asshole fake democrats would be gone. You would feel more relaxed, knowing that you are in a fascist state with only one party, then you could plot a revolution. Sometimes you have to let the bad guys show their full colors for the desired response from the masses.

Why should I have to sign a pledge with Public Citizen to beg Obama to stop TPP? Isnt Obama, as a liberal, someone who should automatically represent my interests? He should never have pursued or allowed TPP. I shouldn't have to sign any petition. Obviously, the Democrats are not a real leftist party and will maintain the current situation with the bankers and the corporations. Public Citizen also wants money! They want my credit card details!

Don't need you to participate.

You are lucky to even get a vote from me in the primaries coming up Bernie Sanders, who I am voting for only out of disgust that Clinton is running.

Now it's Sanders? Who will it be next? You have now posted who you would vote for at least six ways to Sunday.

A full on fascist state might be our just deserts after supporting so many fascists overseas like Pinochet. If anything, a fullon fascist state would really let the world know how things really stand here and the STRESS of voting for these asshole fake democrats would be gone. You would feel more relaxed, knowing that you are in a fascist state with only one party, then you could plot a revolution. Sometimes you have to let the bad guys show their full colors for the desired response from the masses.

Sorry to hear you want a Fascist state and the bloodletting that could follow. Plotting a revolution is one thing. Making it succeed is another. And if it does succeed, establishing a just state is even more problematic.

A revolution is almost always the wrong thing, because people die and dictators come to power. The only way a revolution should be considered is when there are already real dictators-for-life in power and people are starving and being killed in huge numbers. Otherwise you trade a mediocre situation for a disastrous one.

Don't need you to participate.

Now it's Sanders? Who will it be next? You have now posted who you would vote for at least six ways to Sunday.

I'm voting against war and fast track trade deals, which only Sanders seems to oppose, and if he is winning, then my dislike for Clinton makes it imperative for me to vote for him.

Though my real vote is Canada:

Now that I am in Canada I say the following: The USA is an over-caffeinated land of boisterous extroverted Irish assholes. Now I am free to relax.

Ultimately where I should have been born, under the British. And all the Irish assholes will be down across the border in the USA, and I'm safe in the less caffeinated land, and it's like I should have always been in Canada, where people are less extroverted and boisterous, where they don't have outrageous southern or yankee accents. And everything American about me, which is really just colonialism from the United Kingdom, will feel free in Canada from being "American". No more will I have to live in the hyper-risk oriented USA with it's asshole contagion.

That's my vote for the USA: Canada!

I'm voting against war and fast track trade deals, which only Sanders seems to oppose, and if he is winning, then my dislike for Clinton makes it imperative for me to vote for him.

Though my real vote is Canada:

Now that I am in Canada I say the following: The USA is an over-caffeinated land of boisterous extroverted Irish assholes. Now I am free to relax.

Ultimately where I should have been born, under the British. And all the Irish assholes will be down across the border in the USA, and I'm safe in the less caffeinated land, and it's like I should have always been in Canada, where people are less extroverted and boisterous, where they don't have outrageous southern or yankee accents. And everything American about me, which is really just colonialism from the United Kingdom, will feel free in Canada from being "American". No more will I have to live in the hyper-risk oriented USA with it's asshole contagion.

That's my vote for the USA: Canada!

Just a short time ago you listed your location as Chiapas, Mexico and now you're in British Columbia.

Just a short time ago you were espousing bigotry toward Jews, and now it's toward the Irish.

Don't worry: you and the Canadians will get sick of each other really quickly.

Because if you perceive that the Jews are bad and the Irish are bad and America is bad, then you should realize that it isn't them, it's you.

Or the rest of us should realize:

8.jpg

You just don't like me because I'm an introverted man who moved to Canada to get away from American extroverted barbarianism in order to save himself from insanity.

I'm an introverted man.

Aha ahaha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

moved to Canada

Yeah, right.

to get away from American extroverted barbarianism

Location can't change the barbarian within.

in order to save himself from insanity.

It's not working.

Aha ahaha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Yeah, right.

Location can't change the barbarian within.

It's not working.

I've always hated America because I had Social Anxiety Disorder really bad when I was younger. Of course it's not as bad now that I'm older, but it's still there, like scars and hate in the mind, avoiding women, hating women, hating extroverts, hating rednecks and cowboys, hating people up north with their outgoing yankeeism, hating the irish assholes, the Jewish bankers, the many-too-many as Nietzsche called them. Why do you think I like Mandrake so much in my avatar? You cannot comprehend that hate is the only cure.

Though I am a gringo, strangely, I actually began to empathize with Latin Americans and blacks. This is my only saving point, the empathy I feel for like Turks and others. You know how Latin Americans and indigenous people sometimes seem introverted. They peaked my interest as outsiders in this society. I think also Canadians are good too. As long as they havent moved to Florida or New York and become Americans.

Normally, it's Conservative that let their own hate go unchecked. They are not allowed in the Liberal's Only Rm. You are the exceptional Liberal who feeds on hate.

I know you are Liberal because I see you post in NHB, against poverty, war and oppression, at the same time you post your hate. But you seem to come to the Liberal's Only Rm. exclusively to hate flame. I have seen precious little else from you, in this room, lately.

You cannot comprehend that hate is the only cure

I consider hate evil although it's probably in us all. By my perception, as matter of personal morality, every effort should be made to subdue and control it.

If one needs hate to hold his/her psyche together, then stability is bought at a terrible price.

I did not usually philosophize about hate when I was younger and sometimes felt it strange that Rightwing Christians or even Moderate Liberals thought hate was bad. I would hear conservative Christians accuse me of hate or moderate liberals, and they all seemed merely weak to me, like they couldnt deal with the real inferno, and the conservatives who hate also seem weak to me, as they direct their hate at racial groups rather than allowing a more explosive all engulfing hate the burns away all fear.

I think it was Rudyard Kipling that said "fear is the egg of hate", that hate is born of fear seems natural to someone who knowingly suffered from paralyzing Social Anxiety issues early in life.

I do not think hate is evil. It is useful as it focuses your awareness like adrenaline. I think it's probably bad for the mind/brain though in the long term. Though frankly it is something quite out of control with me sometimes, the real wrath, not just some piddling conservative hate that is like a racist game. For me I experience genuine wrath directed at no race in particular. That is frightening experience of hyperventilation and frankly I don't enjoy it. I've actually attended anger-management group.

michijo:

When the subject of a thread is "What's Wrong With The Democratic Party" in the LO Rm, the answer should not be, "Destroy it!". Please confine that to NHB. No Holds Barred is the place to blow off steam. Not here.

The outcome of flaming in the Liberal's Only Room is disruption. . It changes the subject of any thread, focusing attention on the sensational negativity of your diversion.

I understand there are certain peoples and countries you don't hate.

But please respect the fact that every regular in this room cares about the whole world, the US included. People in here are looking for ways to improve things, not destroy them. I strongly suggest that when you come in the LO Rm, you present your Liberal side and not the Nihilistic side. Nihilism is usually the domain of the F-A-R right.

Anger management is your friend. :)

Back on Subject:

A goal for the Democratic party. Support the creation and continuation of labor unions. If a majority of the 99% were unionized, rule by plutocracy would disappear, as we saw, post FDR and pre Reagan.

The benefits of a largely unionized labor force extend beyond higher incomes and a better standard of living. In the system we have now, unions would have power to give campaign bribes and lobby in Congress, neutralizing or reversing plutocratic rule of government.

The pro-capitalist intent of "Citizens United" would backfire on a corrupt and partisan SCOTUS.

Posted · Hidden by bludog, February 11, 2016 - Conservative, anti union
Hidden by bludog, February 11, 2016 - Conservative, anti union

The Democrats are just as corporate as the Republicans. The Unions reluctance to back the Constitution Party allows the duocratic kleptocracy to further their agenda.

Geniocrat:-- I have hidden your post. Any future posts in the LO Rm will disappear also. Please stick to NHB from now on.

What's wrong with Democrat Party? Easy answer: It's Mainstream. Mainstream America is a force of mental oppression in the world.

Mainstream America seeks only to dominate everyones' mind with the forces of violence. That's the real reason Americans make war so much: the other nations we war against are not mainstream enough. Maybe you are in some farflung region and just not part of the mainstream world America wants. That's the time America comes in with it's guns and phony-two party system with the demand: join the mainstream, die, or hide, for we will leave you no quarter of refuge.

Democrats are merely an aspect of this. Thats why America is so unpeaceful. Mainstream America hates peace. This is also why Canada is better: they are similar but outside of mainstream, hidden from the true nature of America.