As a young man in college I was not always the most diligent student. One weekend, near the end of term, was particularly eventful and I found myself on Monday morning sitting, looking at a Dynamics final and no memory of any of the fine formulas we had studied that semester. Then I remembered F=ma. From that kernel I was able to derive all of the formulas I needed and ended up doing pretty well. More importantly, I realized the importance of fundamental concepts; I found that if one has a good understanding of core principles the smaller details are easier to work out. This led me a few years ago to ask myself, aside from the individual policies which align my thinking with “liberals”; why am I a liberal?

After some consideration I arrived on four succinct statements, which I believe also gave me some insight to what motivates the “other” side.

I am a parent.

As a parent I will do anything within my power to advantage my child.

I am a citizen.

As a citizen I believe it is vitally important that we write rules that prevent that.

It is only natural that parents do all they can for their children, however as wealth accumulates this presents a threat to democracy. This is the threat that concerned Jefferson when he spoke of the need for inheritance taxes, not as a form of revenue but a means to protect the democracy from citizens that might become too powerful, and then threaten the will of the people. It is easy to see how this has become the case in America today.

The dangers of inherited wealth to our economy are not unlike monarchy to the health of any nation, when power is derived from birthright rather than one’s labor it is more often foolishly applied. As more and more of our economy becomes “inherited wealth” it becomes more of a target for con men and less a tool for innovators. The world’s financial power has been diverted from improving the human condition into money making schemes designed to enrich those who create them.

I do have some specific suggestions that I feel would be helpful long term:

Public financing for public elections

Flat rate Social Security Tax, first dollar to last all forms of income

Index minimum wage to the average increase in CEO pay for the S&P 500

(This is a re-posting by request.)

“The most recent projections from OMB and CBO indicate that, if current policies remain in place, the total unified surplus will reach about $800 billion in fiscal year 2010, including an on-budget surplus of almost $500 billion.” Alan Greenspan March 2, 2001.

As a young man in college I was not always the most diligent student. One weekend, near the end of term, was particularly eventful and I found myself on Monday morning sitting, looking at a Dynamics final and no memory of any of the fine formulas we had studied that semester. Then I remembered F=ma. From that kernel I was able to derive all of the formulas I needed and ended up doing pretty well. More importantly, I realized the importance of fundamental concepts; I found that if one has a good understanding of core principles the smaller details are easier to work out. This led me a few years ago to ask myself, aside from the individual policies which align my thinking with “liberals”; why am I a liberal?

After some consideration I arrived on four succinct statements, which I believe also gave me some insight to what motivates the “other” side.

I am a parent.

I am a citizen.

As a citizen I believe it is vitally important that we write rules that prevent that.

It is only natural that parents do all they can for their children, however as wealth accumulates this presents a threat to democracy. This is the threat that concerned Jefferson when he spoke of the need for inheritance taxes, not as a form of revenue but a means to protect the democracy from citizens that might become too powerful, and then threaten the will of the people. It is easy to see how this has become the case in America today.

The dangers of inherited wealth to our economy are not unlike monarchy to the health of any nation, when power is derived from birthright rather than one’s labor it is more often foolishly applied. As more and more of our economy becomes “inherited wealth” it becomes more of a target for con men and less a tool for innovators. The world’s financial power has been diverted from improving the human condition into money making schemes designed to enrich those who create them.

“The most recent projections from OMB and CBO indicate that, if current policies remain in place, the total unified surplus will reach about $800 billion in fiscal year 2010, including an on-budget surplus of almost $500 billion.” Alan Greenspan March 2, 2001.

You don't seem to have a problem with the "will of the people" stealing wealth just because someone has more wealth than others.

You equate money to power. Will you do anything for enough money? If so, you are at least, at least half the problem.

You don't seem to have a problem with the "will of the people" stealing wealth just because someone has more wealth than others.

You equate money to power. Will you do anything for enough money? If so, you are at least, at least half the problem.

No. Now that I have answered a question, Is all taxation "stealing"?

I am a parent.

I am a citizen.

Getting ridiculous. All you have is various new non negotiable mandatory contracts with fees, fines, property loss, jail time and or forced drugging etc.Debtor prison? King Henry VIII was more liberal.

http://billmoyers.com/2015/04/18/william-gates-sr/

http://www.pbs.org/now/printable/transcript_inheritance_print.html

http://www.faireconomy.org/the_story

aa of now all taxation is illegal due to a private bank known as the fed reserve

But without the fed, state taxes are perfectly legal

Fed income taxes would not even be an option if we were a protectionist nation like the founders set up

Its kinda a false debate

aa of now all taxation is illegal due to a private bank known as the fed reserve

But without the fed, state taxes are perfectly legal

Fed income taxes would not even be an option if we were a protectionist nation like the founders set up

Its kinda a false debate

So you would disband the standing army? Shutdown the FBI?

Why is it "legal" for states to take personal property without due process? In any case I didn't ask if it were legal, I asked if it were "stealing" in the same sense that you claim I support "stealing" are all taxes stealing or not?

I am a parent.

I am a citizen.

What were you prior to becoming a parent? One of your ancestry's replacements. What is your child/ren? an addition of you and your mate's ancestries.

e=mc3 See following e=mc2 leaves a +2 between every interger squared while cubed leaves a +6 between cubed intergers. Follow that logic to two sides of every redial projection, theory, and 6 degrees of separate between every detail displaced universally here now.

Understand substance or believe in symbolic values as reality will not tolerate the first and demands the second be followed to the letter of the law cradle to grave until extinction occurs in this atmosphere.

So you would disband the standing army? Shutdown the FBI?

Why is it "legal" for states to take personal property without due process? In any case I didn't ask if it were legal, I asked if it were "stealing" in the same sense that you claim I support "stealing" are all taxes stealing or not?

i would disband the army because its unconstitutional, yes

I wouldn't say All taxes are stealing

But the way we do it now sure is stealing

If the goal is to dictate to others the percentage of their income they will pay in taxes and represent what it will be spent on, then yes, it is stealing.

Now that I have answered a question,

If the goal is to dictate to others the percentage of their income they will pay in taxes and represent what it will be spent on, then yes, it is stealing.

Now that I have answered a question,

So government itself is an illegal act in your opinion, I disagree BTW.

As a young man in college I was not always the most diligent student. One weekend, near the end of term, was particularly eventful and I found myself on Monday morning sitting, looking at a Dynamics final and no memory of any of the fine formulas we had studied that semester. Then I remembered F=ma. From that kernel I was able to derive all of the formulas I needed and ended up doing pretty well. More importantly, I realized the importance of fundamental concepts; I found that if one has a good understanding of core principles the smaller details are easier to work out.

......Principles that (just) MIGHT be seeing a Resurrection!!!!!!

http://www.liberalforum.org/index.php?/topic/177836-get-em-millennials/?hl=millenials&do=findComment&comment=1059181890

"Why am I a liberal?"

I have no problem with you being a liberal (or at least believing in what the OP laid out).

My question is are you a Democrat?

There's a difference??!!!!

liberal:

: believing that government should be active in supporting social and political change

: not opposed to new ideas or ways of behaving that are not traditional or widely accepted

conservative:

: believing in the value of established and traditional practices in politics and society

: not liking or accepting changes or new ideas

http://www.merriam-webster.com/

33919d1332106552-possible-do-p3go-gt-don

conservatives are an aberration, o' the people who RISKED creating this Country!!!!

827.gif

What field of engineering are you in?

Same one you are in, societal evolution staging reality by franchises of what ancestry chooses to believe cradle to grave between inception to the food chain and extinction of this species from this atmosphere as everything changing filters through the moment here now..

"Why am I a liberal?"

I have no problem with you being a liberal (or at least believing in what the OP laid out).

My question is are you a Democrat?

Did you vote for Obama?

Would you vote for Hillary or Sanders?

I'm voting for and supporting Bernie, I live in the real world where people win elections and the GOP is unacceptable.

I am a parent.

I am a citizen.

You seem a little mixed up...but probably well intended.

I'll address one of your points...

"The dangers of inherited wealth to our economy are not unlike monarchy to the health of any nation, when power is derived from birthright rather than one’s labor it is more often foolishly applied."

No matter where the wealth comes from...some spend it wisely and some spend it foolishly...the foolish ones simply pump the money back into the economy a little faster.

Now let's look at all the welfare that multi-generations receive. In many cases it destroys the future and work ethic of the children being raised that way. I would rather see children inherit from their parents than see children raised on welfare...at least most inheritance comes from someone who was responsible enough to plan for their future and their children's future.

Lifelong welfare recipients do not prepare their children for anything other than a continuation of welfare dependence and a dysfunctional life style.

Lifelong welfare recipients do not prepare their children for anything other than a continuation of welfare dependence and a dysfunctional life style.'

================================================================

How about the heirs of trust funds? They do nothing productive. Managers handle their money and deposit a check for them every month or so. Miami is full of them.