Sign in to follow this  
ringringlingling

Why Are We In Syria?

I mean, I know why, (Natural Gas Pipeline) but why do voters think we are there? What are they telling us?

Why does Obama allow these military air strikes and subversive coups to continue? I thought he was the god damn president, not the CIA's house boy.

Does the average person even know or care whats going on in Syria?

How do the naval troops assigned to Syria feel about what they are doing?

Does it bother them that they are engaged in another futile war?

Or have they become so inurred with the violence that they have become completely disillusioned?

We're in Syria to allay Saudi and Israeli fears of the Shias (Iran, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon) re-organizing in the middle east WITHOUT us.

In today's all-volunteer military, flagging morale has more to do with inadequate pay/benefits. Long tours of duty hurt, but are generally accepted. Armed Forces Radio induced dissatisfaction of the US Commander-In-Chief by Conservative talking heads like Limbaugh Hannity, O'Reilly and others, also tends to lower morale. But considering the politically unsophisticated nature of most troops and huge amounts of money spent on indoctrination, demonization of the enemy, is a given, on any day.

The net result is that in the all-volunteer military, no war is seen as futile. Rare dissenters do well to keep it to themselves. The stress of combat may cause anguish and later, PTSD but it's usually compartmentalized. Revulsion of violence is seen as unacceptable. So, as much as they might suffer, very few become disillusioned with "the cause".

Things were different back when conscription supplied large numbers of troops. Draftees tend to vary more widely in their political beliefs and sophistication. Often the more radical among them were quite vocal. Very different than with all-volunteers, coming largely from rural, Conservative backgrounds.... Fertile soil to begin with, for military indoctrination. And in today's military, there are almost no dissenting voices.

you sure about that?

Yes. Your article also agrees, in a long-winded meandering way, having been written in 2013.

"A gas pipeline from Iran would be highly profitable for Syria. Europe would gain from it as well, but clearly someone in the West didn't like it."

This is the proposed Iran-Iraq-Syria pipeline to Europe. Think of it as the "Shia pipeline" (article calls it the Islamic pipeline). If this pipeline is successful, Iran, Iraq and Syria, with Russian and Chinese blessings have no use for us and the petro-dollar. They will supply EU via the mediteranean. There will also be no need for Turkey's Nabucco line. Hence Turkey hates it and supports ISIS and rebels causing chaos in Syria.

"...there is a plan approved by the U.S. government to create a new pipeline for transporting gas from Qatar to Europe involving Turkey and Israel. This new pipeline is to begin in Qatar, cross Saudi territory and then the territory of Jordan, thus bypassing Shiite Iraq, and reach Syria. Near Homs the pipeline is to branch in three directions: to Latakia, Tripoli in northern Lebanon, and Turkey. The parts of Syrian territory where detachments of rebels are operating with the support of the U.S., Qatar and Turkey, that is, the north, Homs and the environs of Damascus, coincide with the route that the pipeline is to follow to Turkey and Tripoli, Lebanon. A comparison of a map of armed hostilities and a map of the Qatar pipeline route indicates a link between armed activities and the desire to control these Syrian territories.

Saudi Arabia and the gulf states want their own pipeline going through Syrian territory into Turkey, feeding into Nabucco. Call this the Sunni pipeline. ISIS and the rebels have worked to take over portions of Syria where this pipeline will run. That is why the US state department has a "strategy of containment" of ISIS. See?

Last but not least,

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-09-10/competing-gas-pipelines-are-fueling-syrian-war-migrant-crisis

Editor’s note: This article has been updated to reflect recent Wikileaks revelations of US State Department leaks that show plans to destabilize Syria and overthrow the Syrian government as early as 2006. The leaks reveal that these plans were given to the US directly from the Israeli government and would be formalized through instigating civil strife and sectarianism through partnership with nations like Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Qatar and even Egypt to break down the power structue in Syria to essentially to weaken Iran and Hezbolla. The leaks also reveal Israeli plans to use this crisis to expand it’s occupation of the Golan Heights for additional oil exploration and military expansion.

Saudi Arabia (gulf states), and Israel.... is why we are in Syria.

Your welcome :)

apologies, i thought you meant to frame the war in Syria in some sort of racial or religious context.

Np. The MSM has peddled the racial religious fairytale, though now they are beginning to change their tune as Russia is in, and more and more people realize they have been duped about what was taking place there

I mean, I know why, (Natural Gas Pipeline) but why do voters think we are there? What are they telling us?

Why does Obama allow these military air strikes and subversive coups to continue? I thought he was the god damn president, not the CIA's house boy.

Does the average person even know or care whats going on in Syria?

How do the naval troops assigned to Syria feel about what they are doing?

Does it bother them that they are engaged in another futile war?

Or have they become so inurred with the violence that they have become completely disillusioned?

Nat Gas? We GOT plenty. No urge to import. We are barely" IN Syria".. we are up ABOVE.. sometimes looking to zap ISIS nutjobs. NO "boot on the ground" We TRIED to find GOOD GUYS with enough clout to matter.... ain't much there. Clusterfk.

apologies, i thought you meant to frame the war in Syria in some sort of racial or religious context.

Um......if you take those out..... psycho-sadistic is about all that's left.

Its not about OUR natural gas, its about whether the EU or the Chinese get access to the pipeline.

Also, this fracking boom isn't going to last forever. Increasing production only tends to increase consumption.

I read some of the excerpt from http://www.strategic...ian-crisis.html that ringringlingling submitted.

"Qatar's resolve is fed by the discovery by Syrian geological exploration companies in 2011 of Syria's own large gas-producing area near the Lebanese border, not far from the Mediterranean port of Tartus which Russia leases, and the detection of a significant gas field near Homs. According to preliminary estimates, these discoveries should substantially increase the country's gas reserves, which previously amounted to 284 billion cubic meters. The fact that the export of Syrian or Iranian gas to the European Union could take place through the port of Tartus, which has ties to Russia, is unsatisfactory to Qatar and its Western patrons as well. (3)"

This bit I took as nonsensical. NG as it is or will be is a small little piece of shit not worth any major geopolitical fight.

The bear is Putin who is embarrassed by the stalemate of the economic sanctions after his invasion in the Ukraine. And lets not forget the passenger plane that was shot down using Russian SAM.

This is a crap stalemate that is caused by the Saudi government and all the nonsense of you know, oil from the ground, of the cruelest crude kind that is black, you know, of the Texas Tea kind.

Peace!

We are barely" IN Syria".. we are up ABOVE.. sometimes looking to zap ISIS nutjobs.

"sometimes" being the operative word. Other times, supplying them munitions

We TRIED to find GOOD GUYS with enough clout to matter.... ain't much there.

"Good guys" translation: forces that will do our bidding

Um......if you take those out..... psycho-sadistic is about all that's left.

If that was the case, it would stand to reason that the entire region would have annihilated themselves by now, after some 4000 years of history.

Unfortunately for your argument, the clusterfk you mention has only been in existence since the Iraq invasion in 2003.... less than 15 years ago

In today's all-volunteer military, flagging morale has more to do with inadequate pay/benefits. Long tours of duty hurt, but are generally accepted. Armed Forces Radio induced dissatisfaction of the US Commander-In-Chief by Conservative talking heads like Limbaugh Hannity, O'Reilly and others, also tends to lower morale. But considering the politically unsophisticated nature of most troops and huge amounts of money spent on indoctrination, demonization of the enemy, is a given, on any day.

It still amazes me that Obama allows the military to be indoctrinated by the conservative talking heads. I suggest that pushing that hatred on the military amounts to treason. Making wild and unsupported accusations of the president during a time of war, demoralizes the troops, leading to huge problems on the battlefield. The military brass who allow this should be put in prison.

• Downvote 1

I'm not following you. Why is natural gas not important?

NG is transitional at best. we still don't know how bad extraction is for the planet and I don't think that's why Putin's in Syria.

I think your crazy. Why else would anybody bother with backwater hellhole filled with hostile lunatic religious barbarians if there weren't some sort of profit motive? You think that Putin is just in a dick measuring contest with Obama? Or what, that his heart just can't stand the sight of seeing the terrible turbulence befalling Assads beleagured nation?

I think your crazy. Why else would anybody bother with backwater hellhole filled with hostile lunatic religious barbarians if there weren't some sort of profit motive? You think that Putin is just in a dick measuring contest with Obama? Or what, that his heart just can't stand the sight of seeing the terrible turbulence befalling Assads beleagured nation?

Do you think Putin's efforts can resolve that hell hole? I don't. If you think he's there for NG, well he's gonna get nothing out of it on that score and he's smart enough to know that much. And no, I'm not crazy.

Peace!

Np. The MSM has peddled the racial religious fairytale, though now they are beginning to change their tune as Russia is in, and more and more people realize they have been duped about what was taking place there

Oversimplification. There's a racial/religious factor, but, it's mass chaos,a clusterfk where there's MANY factors, MANY actors and we do NOT have good acess.. whether journalists or intelligence agents.

We'd LIKE to work with some allies..ideally.. Sunnis. They.. have not done much. Meanwhile.. the US Public.. is all over the map,our media types.. all over the map. Congress and the President.. are mostly adversarial. The Cia,Pentagon, State dept... have different agendas. We are now accidental allies with Russia, Iran and......whatever.

This mess.. overlaps countries, includes Iraq and Lebanon. Even if we THINK we got a plan.. in 2 weeks it could be obsolete.

Consider......ISIS is somewhat contained. They can't move south... Shia militias and Iranians back up the Iraqi forces.. who were crap when in Sunni areas. The Kurds.. are TOUGH... and more relevant.. they worked well with us.. and Euros. They now get backing from the Germans and others... and SOME from us. The Kurds....however.. are tough in THEIR zone, are unlikely to chase ISIS out of that zone that's NOT Kurd turf.

Post Colonial borders in the region..did not reflect cultures. in Iraq..and Syria....a dictator held together incompatible cultures, with actually.. a minority sect ruling. When we dumped Saddam... we FAILED from the start in Nation Building. We had a "window" to structure something. We needed..somehow..to have Kurds,Sunnis,Shiites pretty self governing. Some (and they were wrong) wanted a unified ,centralized Iraq to be a "balance" to Iran ......and that sure has failed. NOW....it got done the hard way.

"All the king's horses and all the king's men..." won't put Iraq together again. At BEST... we may see a confederacy where Shia,Kurd and Sunni states DO retain SOME sort of nation together.. but...are almost independent nations. Us... getting frustrated with "nation building" in a land so alien to what WE think....has let the region revert (somewhat) to boundaries based more on the local Culture/religion. Where borders are based on colonial divisions of 100 yr ago.. DEMOCRACY.. has difficulty. Sects.. do NOT play nice with each other. There's no TRADITION of Democracy or a "national" identity. Loyalties are to sects and tribes.

Our adventures in the area.... had a core problem. We'd deal with a semi-secular "government" and NOT have a clue what's up at the mosque. It ain't a high diversity culture. It ain't all that tolerant. You can't just walk into the mosque and fake it. Most everyone else has been a local most of their lives.. and "outsider" is spotted fast. In a big city.. there's hundreds of mosques. If.. 10% are terrorist HQ.. it's a problem.

..... ok, and?

The MSM has peddled a racial religious fairytale of an "Islamic" "State" adhering strictly to the Koran seeking to establish an "islamic" caliphate... which "we" were supposedly opposed to. Russia has entered the realm in support of Assad, and the information monopoly has been broken.

No amount of you describing the "complex" "situation", now, can change these ^^^ facts.

Post Colonial borders in the region..did not reflect cultures. in Iraq..and Syria....a dictator held together incompatible cultures, with actually.. a minority sect ruling.

This is true.

Post Colonial borders in the region..did not reflect cultures. in Iraq..and Syria....a dictator held together incompatible cultures, with actually.. a minority sect ruling. When we dumped Saddam... we FAILED from the start in Nation Building. We had a "window" to structure something.

This is false.

We always knew overthrowing the Iraqi government would yield chaos. We KNEW it many times over, and we did it nonetheless. Even the neocons knew it...

And we went ahead with Syria more recently, under the Obama admin.

Psycho-sadistic... you mention?

The US military is in many areas where it might get into a position to bully small countries/groups and still maintain a veneer of self-righteousness. Syria is an especially promising stage.

There is often strong pressure on elected officials to approve conflicts which have little to do with US interests, as a whole, and everything to do with the interests of military contractors. The Military Industrial Complex is hugely profitable. The larger companies lobby in Congress and hand out campaign donations, expecting returns, naturally. Small wars cause profits to skyrocket.

War profiteers, like Cheney, (Halliburton), wrap themselves in the flag and make noises about 'brave young Americans' and 'If we don't stop them over there, soon they'll be here', etc etc etc.

Click on link for entire, massive list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_defense_contractors

The Top 100 Contractors Report on the Federal Procurement Data System lists the top one hundred defense contractors by sales to the United States military. ('DoD 9700' worksheet).[1]The Department of Defense announces contracts valued at $6.5 million or more each business day at 5 pm.[2] All defense contractors maintain CAGE (Commercial and Government Entity) Codes, and are profiled in the System For Award Management.[3]

List of United States defense contractors